Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think they will ever tear down Wrigley Field and when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
    Somewhat on this topic, I was watching the local FOX News tonight and the showed a picture of the batter's eye lounge that is being built. I hadn't even heard about this before tonight!? The picture showed it where some of the batter's eye shrubbery used to be. The report said that the windows would be tinted (green, I believe), and that this will be the only noticeable difference in the stadium in 2006.

It seems like the Cubs organization keeps adding and adding to the list of renovations, maybe I just have missed all of this info, but they keep surprising me. Too many changes for my liking...
    yeah, a huge renovation happening...only 4 rows of juniper bushes, a lounge in straight away CF with a dark green glass shield, the new bleachers of course-and the way they are extending teh bleachers they are also raising the fence height behind the bleachers to where it would almost have to be a glenallen roof top shot to get out...you'll see much fewer balls on the street this year...also renovation alot of the concessions and roof area over the other seats

Comment

I heard that its also gonna block a lot of the rooftop bleachers and that the buildings want to get their rooves raised. I hope they get it because Wrigley wouldnt be right w/o the rooftop bleachers.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

its sad

I think its sad, seeing the greatest ballpark in baseball being renovated. I mean yeah new things are great but nothing (other than new bathrooms) would make Wrigley Field better than it is
        Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZR56664
          I think its sad, seeing the greatest ballpark in baseball being renovated. I mean yeah new things are great but nothing (other than new bathrooms) would make Wrigley Field better than it is
          No, don't get rid of those troughs! They're part of Wrigley-lore.
          Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM.
          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
          Line Drive: .356
          HBP: .342
          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
          Intentional Walk: .176
          Outfield Fly: .035
          Groundball: -.101
          Bunts: -.103
          Infield Fly: -.243
          Strikeout: -.287
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

You got that right, the urine troughs are the most efficient bathroom system known to man.
            beware of the censorship police

Comment

Naw, they are a close second to hotel swimming pools.

Comment

No more restaurant lounge in the batter's eye; now the plan is to make it a 75-100 person suite.
                A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Wrigley Field

Had the pleasure of seeing a game from Wrigley, July 1986 before lights.They defeated the Giants, 10-6. Should they vacate the old lady of Chicago, why not make it a museum? If they do tear it down heaven forbid, they'll make the great Chicago fire of 1871 seem like a weinie roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Melottfan
                    Had the pleasure of seeing a game from Wrigley, July 1986 before lights.They defeated the Giants, 10-6. Should they vacate the old lady of Chicago, why not make it a museum? If they do tear it down heaven forbid, they'll make the great Chicago fire of 1871 seem like a weinie roast.
                    they can't tear it down, as of right now it's a landmark

Comment

Yes, I hope they never tear it down, but if they do, I will have lots of memories, having been there literally hundreds of times.:atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Biittner
                        Yes, I hope they never tear it down, but if they do, I will have lots of memories, having been there literally hundreds of times.:atthepc
                        They can't tear it down it's marked as a landmark. If the Cubs ever want a new home they have to move while Wrigley will still stand.
                        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                        Line Drive: .356
                        HBP: .342
                        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                        Intentional Walk: .176
                        Outfield Fly: .035
                        Groundball: -.101
                        Bunts: -.103
                        Infield Fly: -.243
                        Strikeout: -.287
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Cub fans are :grouchy about the bleacher renovations...

The city spent gazillions restoring teh' Chicago Bungalow and Frank Lloyd Wright homes.... Would we let Wrigley go? I sure as heck hope not. Take away the bungalows, Frank Lloyd as well as any other famous architectures first!

Why not restore? Everyone is sick to death everywhere about nostalgia being torn down.

maybe in 3008 they can tear it down !
                          What two words strike fear into every Cubs fan?
                          Oh, no.

Comment

As a lifelong Cub fan, my first reaction to this thread was: !!!!

I do, however, have to admit that Wrigley has killed the Cubs for many years. The ballpark is such a draw, that management was apathetic for a couple decades. With Murphy's, Cubby Bear, Sports Corner, etc., people are going to come. It doesn't matter if the Cubs win 100 games or lose 100, people will come. They'll come to enjoy the bleachers, enjoy the sun, enjoy the ivy, but they WILL come. I love Wrigley, and I will always love Wrigley, but there are times when I can see what an albatross it has become to the Cubs being competitive. Throughout the 1990s the Tribune Company knew they would sell out, regardless of whether they fielded a winning team. They rode Wrigley all the way to the bank. They do seem to be spending money now, but I'm reminded of the lure of the Friendly Confines every time I see some moron on a cell phone on WGN waving to his dorky friends at home.
                            I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

A decade later, in the midst of a significant renovation, Wrigley isn't going anywhere for a while.
                              The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by ZR56664 View Post
                                Wrigley Field is the whole reason I go to the games. If they ever tear it down I don't know if I would ever want to go to another Cubs game again.
                                Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic View Post
                                I find this kind of statement to be completely absurd.
                                Not absurd.

I've always been a Met fan, but I went to my share of Yankee games at the old ballpark between 2006 and 2008 because it was YANKEE STADIUM. Tried the new facility its first season, decided it was a fake phony building with no soul, and except for one game in 2012 I haven't been back there since. Granted, a lot of the Yankees' not-fan-friendly attitudes and sentiments and such have played a factor, but it's not like they've given me an incentive to reconsider.

It's conceivable that there are White Sox fans who go to Wrigley not to support the Cubs but because they appreciate the history of the place.
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?
                                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X