hit the baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hit the baseball

The Cubs have a nice little streak going of silly-looking 0-2 count plate appearances and dink grounders to end innings with runners in scoring position. I really appreciate Derek Lee who's 6'5" and makes about $18.8k per at-bat grounding into a weak double play with the bases loaded vs. Jamey Carroll at 5'10" and 175 lbs, earining about $3,400 per at bat jacking it out of the park with the bases loaded. Wonder who wanted it more? Same can be said for Jones, Floyd, DeRosa, Soriano and Kendall. Home runs are an essential part of major league baseball and these guys are well-paid to hit them. Very few weakly hit balls off the end of the bat actually leave the park. Jeez guys, hit the ball.

I don't think wanting it more helped Carroll hit that home run and wanting it less made Lee ground out. Lee is the better player, so by your theory, he's wanted it more throughout the course of his career. I see no reason why he should want it any less in a tight division race. Sometimes you ground out, that's all there is to it.

Comment

fair enough

Fair enough. If sometimes you ground out, then sometimes you hit a homerun. Considering all our bases loaded opportunities this year, and especially recently, when we're our home runs?

Comment

Well, recently we've been missing Alfonso and Aramis, and thus the bulk of our homerun power. Derrek Lee seems to have returned to the 25-35 homerun guy he was before his MVP-like season, albiet with better numbers in other areas. So it's only natural that the offense is probably going to struggle for awhile.

Comment

okey dokey

Your level headed reason makes me feel better. I still fear that the lack of long ball talent has kept us from being 6 games in the lead right now. Definitely worried if we don't do it this year; how much more money do you have to throw at a team in the future? I'd love to have an explanation from Lee, Jones, Floyd et al. or at least an apology. Our payroll indicates we should be way on top of the hapless NL Central.

Comment

Originally posted by kirchcat View Post
            Your level headed reason makes me feel better. I still fear that the lack of long ball talent has kept us from being 6 games in the lead right now. Definitely worried if we don't do it this year; how much more money do you have to throw at a team in the future? I'd love to have an explanation from Lee, Jones, Floyd et al. or at least an apology. Our payroll indicates we should be way on top of the hapless NL Central.
            Explanation/apology for what? I hate to break it to you, but they're not playing for us. Most of the time they're not even playing for the money. They're playing because they love to play, and they're getting paid a metric **** tonne because we like watching them play. That's the actual order of the business, and I guarantee you that these guys (this group in particular, because this team is deep with character guys as much as it is talent) are doing their damnedest every night to win. Not because they want money or want to make you and I happy or to get women or any other external motivator. They want to play baseball and play it well.

As for each of those players you mentioned, Lee is really just now fully recovering from his last major injury. His swihttp://www.baseball-fever.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=975448ng might not have the same power behind it as a result, but the guy is batting over .300. How do you complain about that? That makes him the best hitter in the "hapless NL Central" (the next spot back is a tie between Pujols and Ramirez).

Jones, as Bob explained in another thread, has been working this year to change his swing. I wasn't aware of that, but it would probably account for his struggles early and his success of late.

Floyd is, for his age and health, probably a bit overworked right now. He may also just be past the point in his career where 20+ bombs a year is a reasonable expectation. If he maintains this .290 batting average though, it'll be his best since he was in his twenties.

So I'm really not sure what you're complaining about here. Yeah, they should be winning more games. The issue isn't a lack of passion to win. It's being bested by a somewhat lesser team at the end of a 20-game stretch with two of the three offensive stars out due to injury.
            Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

good point

You make a good point. Nonetheless I feel that certain Cubs are not living up to their potential or payroll. If you feel they're trying their best physically and mentally then maybe everything will be OK in the end. However, as Buddha said long ago, "their is no 'try', there is simply do or do not."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X