ESPN reports ZMan is close to signing a 5/90 contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN reports ZMan is close to signing a 5/90 contract

They were quoting Chicago radio station 1000. Let's hope this is true. It's a fair contract for both sides in the current market, and I would even give the slight edge to the Cubs overall.

UPDATE--The Trib has also reported it:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...to-re-sig.html
    Last edited by Scartissue; 08-17-2007, 09:13 AM. Reason: Update
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs have inked Carlos Zambrano to a five-year, $91.5MM contract extension. The deal also has a $19.25MM player option for a sixth year, so you might as well call it 6/$111.

By waiting, the Cubs cost themselves at least $11.5MM. It's unclear as to whether the original 5/80 deal Zambrano almost signed had a player option. The new contract carries Zambrano through his age 31 season.

This is a home team discount, but $18.3MM annually guaranteed is still pretty hefty. The discount is that the Cubs are on the hook for five or six years instead of seven or eight. And sure, Z probably could've gotten $20MM on the open market. The deal would look a lot better for the Cubs if the 2013 option was the club's. As a player option, Zambrano will basically only exercise it if he's in bad shape.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

For Cubs fans sake let's hope he doesn't go the Wood/Prior route. This deal, dollarwise, is the same as Barry Zito's less one year.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
        As a player option, Zambrano will basically only exercise it if he's in bad shape.

Not necessarily. If the market explodes then yeah as a still relatively young pitcher Zambrano is likely to either demand an extension or opt out and test the free agent market. But if the market is stable or uncertain then Zambrano is likely to stay put for a year and hope the market clears up the next year. But yeah basically the 6th year player option is spin on the contract and what it cost the Cubs when they failed to get it done in spring. Instead of saying 5 years 20 to 22 million a year they can say it is a 5 year 18 million.

Comment

I've hear some reports that it is a vesting option. Which if that is the case then it is much better then a players option.

Comment

The positive here is that Z, Lilly, Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, and DeRosa are all here for the next few years, which means we've got a hell of a core group of players.

Bob, can you comment on who of the contributing players still has minor league contracts for the next few years? I don't know of a good resource for that information online.
            Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
              Bob, can you comment on who of the contributing players still has minor league contracts for the next few years? I don't know of a good resource for that information online.
              Contributing players with minor league contracts? Do you mean contributing players with cheap years left before arbitration and/or have arbitration years left? I think you mean the latter. In that case, the Cubs' have only two players that are up for arbitration this 07-08 offseason in Neal Cotts and Michael Wuertz. In the following offseason 08-09, Sean Marshall and Angel Pagan are due for arbitration. While in the 09-10 offseason, we have five guys due for arbitration in Rich Hill, Ryan Theriot, Matt Murton, Ronny Cedeno, and Carlos Marmol. Of course all that is dependent upon how many days they are on the 25 man roster.
              What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
              Line Drive: .356
              HBP: .342
              Non-Intentional Walk: .315
              Intentional Walk: .176
              Outfield Fly: .035
              Groundball: -.101
              Bunts: -.103
              Infield Fly: -.243
              Strikeout: -.287
              It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                I've hear some reports that it is a vesting option. Which if that is the case then it is much better then a players option.
                Actually it's a vesting player option. If Carlos wins or finishes second in the 2011 Cy Young OR if he finishes in the top 4 in the 2012 Cy Young AND is healthy by 2012's season end, he then gets the option of returning in 2013.

Here's how the contract breaks down:

In 2008, he'll make $15M. In 2009, $17.75M. In 2010 and 2011, he'll earn $17.875M per year. In 2012, $18M. And if he mets his vesting requirements and wants to return he'll make $19.25M in 2013. Carlos also recieves a $5M signing bonus, no word if it's up front or spread out over the first five years. He also has a full no trade clause for the duration of the contract.
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                  Contributing players with minor league contracts? Do you mean contributing players with cheap years left before arbitration and/or have arbitration years left? I think you mean the latter. In that case, the Cubs' have only two players that are up for arbitration this 07-08 offseason in Neal Cotts and Michael Wuertz. In the following offseason 08-09, Sean Marshall and Angel Pagan are due for arbitration. While in the 09-10 offseason, we have five guys due for arbitration in Rich Hill, Ryan Theriot, Matt Murton, Ronny Cedeno, and Carlos Marmol. Of course all that is dependent upon how many days they are on the 25 man roster.
                  That's what I meant. Can you point me toward a source for that information?

Cotts is highly expendable in my estimation (if there's a lefty I want on the mound less than Eyre and Ohman, it's Cotts). I haven't come to a conclusion on Wuertz. For being so solid at the top of the season, he's definitely lost a step: 1.32 ERA in April (0.00 until the 25th), 5.79 in May, 3.68 in June, 4.09 in July, and 5.68 thus far in August.
                  Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                      That's what I meant. Can you point me toward a source for that information?
                      Honestly there really isn't a good place for that, cot's contracts and mlb4u keep track of service time which helps you guestimate. But the rule of thumb is you spend 3 service years on the 25man roster, then your next three years you're up for arbitration before you are granted free agency. There are lot of tiny little rules in there to but the jist is 3 years for real cheap (~400K), 3 years of escalating money depending on preformance, then free agency.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X