Free Geo Soto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Geo Soto?

At this point only Henry Blanco is signed into next year at the catcher position, and I don't think anyone considers him more than backup material. Kendall has played well in Cubbie blue, but I don't trust him as a primary option at his age and recent productivity. I am wondering why Geo Soto isn't more highly regarded by the Cubs organization?

Coming into this year, he was considered Good Glove--Limited Hit, made contact but without alot of power. He is clearly having a Monster Year at Iowa. If he is still a good fielder, what are we waiting for?

He stayed at Iowa or on the bench while we played the likes of Rob Bowen and Koyie Hill.

Last year I launched a "FREE MIKE WUERTZ" campaign when the cubs bullpen was struggling and he was mowing them down at Iowa. We need to FREE GEO SOTO.

Thoughts, or am I off-base?

I'm baffled as to why Soto was never given a shot. We gave Hill and Bowen more of an opportunity than Soto, and until proven otherwise, he'd be the guy I'd put in over every catcher we've had this year.

My guess is that with the playoff race this tight, if one were to make the wrong call on who to play at catcher, it's easier to justify choosing Kendall, a veteran that's played well in the past, than Soto, an unproven guy. In addition, there's no patience with players this year. A player has to play well immediately, or they will be sent down or be utilized as pinch runners.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
      I'm baffled as to why Soto was never given a shot. We gave Hill and Bowen more of an opportunity than Soto, and until proven otherwise, he'd be the guy I'd put in over every catcher we've had this year.

My guess is that with the playoff race this tight, if one were to make the wrong call on who to play at catcher, it's easier to justify choosing Kendall, a veteran that's played well in the past, than Soto, an unproven guy. In addition, there's no patience with players this year. A player has to play well immediately, or they will be sent down or be utilized as pinch runners.
      Man, you can't put Soto over Hank White. That's not right.
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
        Man, you can't put Soto over Hank White. That's not right.
        Sure it is. I put Soto over him in baseball playing ability, but not in mythical status.

Comment

I think that the Cubs are waiting til Next Year to bring up Soto, kind of sad if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
            Sure it is. I put Soto over him in baseball playing ability, but not in mythical status.
            I like really solid defensive catchers, so to me Hank is the man. That, and every Chuck Norris joke is funnier with Hank as the subject. For instance: Henry Blanco isn't hung like a stallion--stallions are hung like Henry Blanco.

Comment

We'll see during September call-ups.

Comment

I'm actually quite content with Kendall, he's been really solid.
                Soto definitely seems to be the catcher of the future. Besides
                his awesome Triple-A stats I haven't heard much hype about
                Soto as a prospect. How is his defense?

Comment

Originally posted by thekutch View Post
                  I'm actually quite content with Kendall, he's been really solid.
                  Soto definitely seems to be the catcher of the future. Besides
                  his awesome Triple-A stats I haven't heard much hype about
                  Soto as a prospect. How is his defense?
                  It's kind of old by now, but here's a scouting report I wrote up on Geovany back in Feb 2006. Truth be told, Kendall is horrible behind the plate, his blocking skills are severely lacking and his arm is horrendous.
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Bob, thanks for the scouting report, I saw that before where his defense was lauded.

The Cubs will call up Soto for sure Sept 1, and he'll get a little time. But the Cubs don't seem to think of him as catcher of the future. There is talk of re-signing Kendall, or getting someone else, which I don't understand, given the dearth of talent at that position overall in MLB.

Kendall is Gary Gaetti: An aging vet that is helping us out at the tail-end of his career. He is hitting .300 as a Cub. Has he rediscoverd the stroke he lost 2 years ago, and at the age of 33 is turning it around at the catcher position? Methinks not. I thank him for his help this year, but as Bob pointed out, the only think Kendall gives you is singles, and for Oakland he wasn't even giving them that this year.

Which brings us to next year. I generally like Hendry, but that Blanco contract is going to haunt us this offseason. Without it, I think we pencil in Soto as one catcher, and sign a vet like Kendall, and if Kendall fails you hand it to Soto. Hank White is NOT a viable fall-back option if Soto doesn't make it.

I think we roll the dice on Soto. He will never post a 1.000+ OPS again, but is .260/.330/.400 out of the realm of possibility? Couple that with good defense, and that's a pretty good catcher.

Comment

I could see Soto being a .260/.330/.400 Catcher easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                        Bob, thanks for the scouting report, I saw that before where his defense was lauded.

The Cubs will call up Soto for sure Sept 1, and he'll get a little time. But the Cubs don't seem to think of him as catcher of the future. There is talk of re-signing Kendall, or getting someone else, which I don't understand, given the dearth of talent at that position overall in MLB.

Kendall is Gary Gaetti: An aging vet that is helping us out at the tail-end of his career. He is hitting .300 as a Cub. Has he rediscoverd the stroke he lost 2 years ago, and at the age of 33 is turning it around at the catcher position? Methinks not. I thank him for his help this year, but as Bob pointed out, the only think Kendall gives you is singles, and for Oakland he wasn't even giving them that this year.

Which brings us to next year. I generally like Hendry, but that Blanco contract is going to haunt us this offseason. Without it, I think we pencil in Soto as one catcher, and sign a vet like Kendall, and if Kendall fails you hand it to Soto. Hank White is NOT a viable fall-back option if Soto doesn't make it.

I think we roll the dice on Soto. He will never post a 1.000+ OPS again, but is .260/.330/.400 out of the realm of possibility? Couple that with good defense, and that's a pretty good catcher.
                        There's where letting go of Hill was an obvious mistake. Hill proved that he could do the job, albeit with a weak bat. If Blanco is healthy I won't be concerned, but for as bleak as his outlook was 6-8 weeks ago, I'd like to have more information on the guy.

I really hope they don't resign Kendall.

Comment

I also hope they don't spend money on anyone else at that position, but go with Soto. We already have something like $100mil in committed payroll, and in my opinion the wisest use of that would be to get a RF who can hit left handed with power. A real one, not Cliff Floyd. That and a LOOGY.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                            I also hope they don't spend money on anyone else at that position, but go with Soto. We already have something like $100mil in committed payroll, and in my opinion the wisest use of that would be to get a RF who can hit left handed with power. A real one, not Cliff Floyd. That and a LOOGY.
                            Murton has earned the right to have the starting RF job next year. He's batting over .300 since being brought back up, and has shown that the difference between him being a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter is playing every day.

Our power hitting comes from Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez. Jones is somewhat of a power hitter too, and he may play into the equation next year (though I'm guessing he'll be traded). But really, the last time we had four power hitters on the team, we weren't very good. I'd rather see the lineup rounded out with smallball players who consistently get on base and a solid defensive catcher who knows how to call a game.

Realistically what we need during the offseason is:

1. The acquisition of a proper backup at SS (I love DeRosa's versatility, but I cringe a little bit everytime I see him in the wrong half of the middle infield).

2. A thorough evaluation of Jones's value as a player versus trade fodder.

3. Perspective on Cedeno's and Pie's respective abilities to play offense above AAA (the former I've given up on and the latter I don't know what to make of).

4. A long, hard look at our collection of lefties in the bullpen and decisions on who stays and who goes. Or, in other words, give the jobs to Piggy and Rapada and send Cotts, Eyre, and that German whistleblower feller off to the bottom of the AL Central.

5. (this one is wishful thinking) A determination as to whether or not Prior can replace Marquis in the rotation.

Comment

looks like you guys are getting your wish from the report i just raid on the cubs' site. geo soto was mentioned as one of those called up when the roster is expanded this saturday. cubs are only expected to call up maybe 6, logically with the chances they have.
                              ~~~~~The woods are full of wardens.~~~~~

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X