No announcement yet.

Free Geo Soto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patterson, Cedeno, and either Petrick or Gallagher. One quality middle infielder/superutility player, one above average defensive SS who may or may not ever learn to hit, and a promising RHP. I'd give them Ohman too just to have him gone, but that's like giving them smallpox to go with the blankets.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I'm gonna make a bold prediction that our boy Soto will be an all-star next year if healthy. He takes such a good approach to each at bat and he seems to be better than average behind the dish.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
        I'm gonna make a bold prediction that our boy Soto will be an all-star next year if healthy. He takes such a good approach to each at bat and he seems to be better than average behind the dish.
        He may just be average behind the dish and we're just overwhelmed by the contrast from Kendall.

Comment

That is a pretty bold statement, and I sure hope people aren't getting some super slugging catcher image of Geovany from this 2007 year because that certainly isn't him. Yes Soto, is a solid hitter especially for a receiver but he's not the offensive force (.353/.424/.652/1.076) that he threw up in Iowa this year or that seems to be carrying over into the MLB. This was Soto's third full season in AAA which takes alot of air out of his sails considering his first two seasons in Iowa he put up very similar numbers (.253/.357/.342/.699 in 292AB in 2005 & .269/.351/.383/.734 in 342AB in 2006). Geovany also played a substancial period of time this year playing 1B/DH while nursing his injuries.
          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
          Line Drive: .356
          HBP: .342
          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
          Intentional Walk: .176
          Outfield Fly: .035
          Groundball: -.101
          Bunts: -.103
          Infield Fly: -.243
          Strikeout: -.287
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
            Baltimore insiders denied any of that or desire for Prior. Instead the O's stand was Zambrano for Tejada straight up with the Cubs trying to deal Prior+.
            I think you are right. I remember hearing Zambrano's name come up as well. My impression at the time though was that the media focused much more on Prior, and that Baltimore was spooked by rumors that Prior would be a health concern. Perhaps the focus on Prior in the media just goes to show how much more Cubs-focused they are relative to teams not named Yankees or Red Sox.
            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
              That is a pretty bold statement, and I sure hope people aren't getting some super slugging catcher image of Geovany from this 2007 year because that certainly isn't him.
              No, I don't think he'll hit 30 or more homers. I think he stays well within himself and learns during each bat. I love his approach at the plate. He seems like a line drive type hitter and if he can stay within himself I think he can become an allstar.

Comment

One thing I have learned over the years is to never fall in love with a Cubs catcher. They'll break your heart every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                  One thing I have learned over the years is to never fall in love with a Cubs catcher. They'll break your heart every time.
                  Cough, cough........Rick Wilkins.

Comment

Cough, cough........Rick Wilkins.
                    hahahaha thank you for that memory... but again, I honestly want to know where '93 came from. I still think an alien went into him and played as him that year. It reminds me of Brady Anderson. Just BOOM- out of nowhere.
                    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                    Bo Jackson

Comment

.269/.351/.383/.734 in 342AB ......

This line from Geo in 2006 at Iowa, that would be fine for me at the MLB level. He isn't Mike Piazza, only at Triple A. He's a big boy though, I bet he cracks .400 in slugging.

Not just Wilkins, what about my former batterymate, Mr. Damon Berryhill? Who wouldn't want a switch-hitting, good fielding catcher, former 4th pick in the draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                        .269/.351/.383/.734 in 342AB ......

This line from Geo in 2006 at Iowa, that would be fine for me at the MLB level. He isn't Mike Piazza, only at Triple A. He's a big boy though, I bet he cracks .400 in slugging.
                        If Geo posts that line and improves upon then we're looking at the future catcher for the next 5+ years. That's a very respectable line from a catcher especially one that can play defense. In a full season, personally I'd knock the average and onbase% down .010-.020 with about the same number increase for his slugging. Still a .700+ OPS for a catcher who is actually a threat behind the plate would be nice to have especially for a young kid (25 in Jan).
                        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                        Line Drive: .356
                        HBP: .342
                        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                        Intentional Walk: .176
                        Outfield Fly: .035
                        Groundball: -.101
                        Bunts: -.103
                        Infield Fly: -.243
                        Strikeout: -.287
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
                          hahahaha thank you for that memory... but again, I honestly want to know where '93 came from. I still think an alien went into him and played as him that year. It reminds me of Brady Anderson. Just BOOM- out of nowhere.
                          In my eyes, Brady Anderson could have been a poster boy for steroids. He always did EAS ads, but come on.

Comment

had a nice game today. take his offense today with a grain of salt though as the wind was howling out and his homer was windaided (not a prob though!)

he's got a good arm, as he showed in gunning down a runner in the early innings. the first two steals werent his fault as they stole those on marquis.

Comment

Someone has informed Marquis that this is the NL Central, not the AL East, right? That was a football score, not a baseball score.

Comment

I hope we see Geo next year, but I really don't care what his long term BAA or SLG is. Just as long a he keeps up what he is doing so far this year. Bench Kendal play Soto. Call me short sited, but I only have world series on the brain.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X