X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sacamento
    replied
    Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
    I'm well-documented as a Howry defender. I just like Cherry better.
    Howry has a long track record supporting him, Cherry has just a few innings. Cherry was very expendable, I'd much rather lose him than someone of importance down the road now and in the future. Still the bounty we gave for Trachsel was quite high.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
    Petrick still has great upside and is only 23 years old, before injurying his arm he was one of our top prospects and highly regarded in the scouting circuit. . Wuertz's walks were way up in August, if he can get his control under wraps he'll be fine for September/October. As for Howry, the last three months he's looked like the player he was last year and the player we thought we were getting when signing him. He's been our best reliever against lefty pitching.
    I'm well-documented as a Howry defender. I just like Cherry better.

Leave a comment:

• CubsFanJohn
    replied
    This was an Ok move I think.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Sacamento
    replied
    Man, I hope you are correct on Petrick's upside. It worries me in the short term though because Howry and particularly Wuertz are inconsistent, and Wood's health is forever a question mark. And Dempster's headed back to the rotation, right?
    Petrick still has great upside and is only 23 years old, before injurying his arm he was one of our top prospects and highly regarded in the scouting circuit. . Wuertz's walks were way up in August, if he can get his control under wraps he'll be fine for September/October. As for Howry, the last three months he's looked like the player he was last year and the player we thought we were getting when signing him. He's been our best reliever against lefty pitching.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    Originally posted by RBi View Post
    I don't recall hearing anything about this in recent weeks. Once it was talked about, and seemed to be in the works but the plug was quickly pulled.

Dempster has said he wanted to start. But he also said he will do whatever is needed.

I was being sarcastic.

Leave a comment:

• RBi
    replied
    Man, I hope you are correct on Petrick's upside. It worries me in the short term though because Howry and particularly Wuertz are inconsistent, and Wood's health is forever a question mark. And Dempster's headed back to the rotation, right?
    I don't recall hearing anything about this in recent weeks. Once it was talked about, and seemed to be in the works but the plug was quickly pulled.

Dempster has said he wanted to start. But he also said he will do whatever is needed.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    Matching or bettering Cherry's numbers won't be too hard for either of them to accumulate next year as relievers. Right handed pitchers are a luxury in the Cubs system right now, especially one's that project as relievers. If you really wanted to know Baltimore tried getting Petrick with a lesser secondary player but Hendry was able to wiggle away with giving up Cherry and Moore, two players that didn't have much of a future with the Cubs' parent club.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Sacamento
    replied
    I'm more concerned about next season, and as much faith as I have in Gallagher and Petrick (and I have a lot), I don't think either of them are quite ready to post the kind of ERA that Cherry can.
    Matching or bettering Cherry's numbers won't be too hard for either of them to accumulate next year as relievers. Right handed pitchers are a luxury in the Cubs system right now, especially one's that project as relievers. If you really wanted to know Baltimore tried getting Petrick with a lesser secondary player but Hendry was able to wiggle away with giving up Cherry and Moore, two players that didn't have much of a future with the Cubs' parent club.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    When I came home and read that Trachsel was traded to the Cubs, I was a little suprised, even knowing that Hendry was looking for a long arm. When it came out that our trade partner was Baltimore, I was less suprised as the O's have a few familiar faces such as Andy MacPhail (former CEO) and John Stockstill (former scouting director). Stockstill knows Cherry and Moore very well as he was partly responsible for bringing them into the Cubs' organization.

Still in the overall scheme, Cherry was an older righty reliever that the Cubs felt they have better options in Gallagher and Petrick while Moore was a utility corner player who still hasn't developed plate discipline and likely never will. Trachsel might only be here for a month or so, but the Cubs are banking that his impact will be greater in that span than Cherry and Moore's future impact.
    I'm more concerned about next season, and as much faith as I have in Gallagher and Petrick (and I have a lot), I don't think either of them are quite ready to post the kind of ERA that Cherry can.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Sacamento
    replied
    When I came home and read that Trachsel was traded to the Cubs, I was a little suprised, even knowing that Hendry was looking for a long arm. When it came out that our trade partner was Baltimore, I was less suprised as the O's have a few familiar faces such as Andy MacPhail (former CEO) and John Stockstill (former scouting director). Stockstill knows Cherry and Moore very well as he was partly responsible for bringing them into the Cubs' organization.

Still in the overall scheme, Cherry was an older righty reliever that the Cubs felt they have better options in Gallagher and Petrick while Moore was a utility corner player who still hasn't developed plate discipline and likely never will. Trachsel might only be here for a month or so, but the Cubs are banking that his impact will be greater in that span than Cherry and Moore's future impact.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
    I'm not saying this is a great move, but it might be better than it seems at first glance. He's pitched well his last 6 games. Also, 4.48 ERA in that division isn't as bad as one might think (Lilly's ERA dropped by about .4 runs; if Trachsel's takes the same drop, he'd be right around 4 ERA, which is a serviceable 4/5 starter).

Also, if the Cubs do make it to the playoffs, and if Marquis continues his decline and becomes the worst of the pitchers in the rotation, do you go into the playoffs with 3 lefties and a rightie? Depending on the opponent, that might be a terrible mix. If Trachsel, a rightie, can be the fourth, it balances the rotation more.
    I know that division is rough on a pitcher's ERA, but he's been in that division for a total of 36 games in his career. He has a career 1.40 WHIP, which has progressively gotten worse. His strikeout/walk ratio is tanking too. Given his inability to go deep, how is he really worse than Marquis anyways? Like Marquis, Traschel used to at least be good at helping himself behind the plate, but that too has slipped dramatically (his last good year behind the plate was 2000). He was a very good roleplaying #3/#4-type pitcher for a decade, but a failing roleplayer for a future closer who has shown nothing but sparks of greatness does not a good trade make.

Leave a comment:

• Scartissue
    replied
    I'm not saying this is a great move, but it might be better than it seems at first glance. He's pitched well his last 6 games. Also, 4.48 ERA in that division isn't as bad as one might think (Lilly's ERA dropped by about .4 runs; if Trachsel's takes the same drop, he'd be right around 4 ERA, which is a serviceable 4/5 starter).

Also, if the Cubs do make it to the playoffs, and if Marquis continues his decline and becomes the worst of the pitchers in the rotation, do you go into the playoffs with 3 lefties and a rightie? Depending on the opponent, that might be a terrible mix. If Trachsel, a rightie, can be the fourth, it balances the rotation more.

Leave a comment:

• Lipsander
    replied
    Trachsel wouldn't be in my top 30 wish list.

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    I don't like the exchange of Cherry one bit. With Weurtz underperforming and Wood as a giant question mark, I think this is a trade that we'll ultimately regret. A lot. Traschel isn't even a quality player either. He's pitching slightly worse this year than his career 4.29 ERA and isn't going deep. Righties are lighting him up with a .303 AVG.

Man, I could understand the Rapada trade even if I wasn't all that fond of it, but dubya tee eff.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Pico
    replied
    Reading the article, there are couple interesting comments from Cub brass. The basically say they felt they needed a starter NOT to replace anyone in the rotation now, but because a) there is a stretch of 11 games in 10 days that will require a sixth starter, and b) if anyone goes down, there isn't another body available to make those starts really.

I think that makes sense, and though Trachsel is pretty close to cooked, he's OK as a fifth guy. Marshall is better though.

It is an insurance pickup, and all they gave up was one guy who clearly wasn't in our plans (Moore), and another that was a bit of a surplus (Cherry). I sensed a 40-man roster crunch coming up, as we had a number of guys on there who were really kind of AAAA talent.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X