Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major League Baseball's clothing police contact Lou!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major League Baseball's clothing police contact Lou!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...csep04.article

Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona isn't the only one being monitored by Major League Baseball's clothing cops.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he received a letter last week warning he faces a $1,000 fine should he fail to wear the Cubs' game jersey during games. The warning came after the Cubs played the Giants in San Francisco almost two weeks ago and Piniella wore the team's fleece pullover.

''It was cold, so I wore the fleece top,'' Piniella said of the pullover that is included among the uniform items. ''I had on the gray [T-shirt] underneath the fleece.''

RELATED STORIES
    • Z goes from bad to worse
    But MLB was watching -- and so, apparently, are baseball's corporate sponsors, who make the uniforms.

Baseball's crackdown on game attire came to light in an awkward way a week ago when Francona was approached by MLB representatives in the visitor's dugout at Yankee Stadium during the game. An angry Francona showed he was wearing his jersey under his fleece.

''I've never seen anything like this before in my life,'' he said afterward. ''The middle of the game, you have the fashion police. This is incredible. [The MLB representative] made me show it.''

Francona often wears the pullover to stay warm because of past circulatory problems. He had been approached by MLB vice president Bob Watson in July about his game attire.

Every major-league clubhouse has tacked up a large poster describing regulation attire for batting practice and games, with strict definitions about what is mandatory and limits on acceptable accessories and logo restrictions.

This isn't the first time a Cub has been called into question about game wear.

Last season, Juan Pierre was told he couldn't wear a camouflage T-shirt under his uniform, something he had worn in the past with the Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins.

''I just never wore it anymore,'' Pierre, now with the Dodgers, said Monday.

At the start of the season, MLB also warned Detroit Tigers infielder Carlos Guillen that he risked being fined for violating the uniform code if he continued to leave his left pants pocket pulled out, a practice he had followed for years.
    BELIEVE

They're running into the same thing the NFL has run into. The merchandisers don't want anybody official not wearing team attire that prominently displays the logo. I lament the days of Stram and Lombardi wearing suits on the sideline--it sucks to think that in our national pastimes we've replaced class and even function in something as simple as attire in lieu of making a corporate sponsor a little more money.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
      They're running into the same thing the NFL has run into. The merchandisers don't want anybody official not wearing team attire that prominently displays the logo. I lament the days of Stram and Lombardi wearing suits on the sideline--it sucks to think that in our national pastimes we've replaced class and even function in something as simple as attire in lieu of making a corporate sponsor a little more money.
      what about guillen though, that has nothing to do with the corporate sponsorship.
      ~~~~~The woods are full of wardens.~~~~~

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X