Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos responds to booing fans

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports...41SPT1.article

Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano -- who after Monday's 11-3 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers is 0-3 with a 9.56 ERA since inking a $91.5 million contract extension -- first made several mistakes in the game, then lit into Cubs fans afterward.

During the game -- before a Wrigley Field crowd of 41,070 -- the fiery Venezuelan pitched poorly. He ran through a stop sign on the basepaths and was thrown out at home plate. He chose to squat on the pitcher's mound in frustration rather than back up a play after a single by the Dodgers' Esteban Loaiza. And when he left the game in the fifth inning to resounding booing, he pointed to his head while doing an exaggerated strut.

But perhaps the biggest mistake he made was firing on Cubs fans after the game. Zambrano has lost five straight starts with his team in a race for a division title, and after the fans' frustrations came out, so did Zambrano's.

"I don't accept that the fans were booing me, and I can't understand that," he said. "I (thought) these were the greatest fans in baseball, but they showed me today they just cared about them(selves). That's not fair. When you're struggling, that's when you want to feel the support of the fans.

"I don't accept it. I pointed to my head. I will remember that, because I won't want to (continue to have) bad outings. I know great moments in my career will come."

Zambrano gave up a season-worst eight runs and walked five in 4 1/3 innings. Fortunately for the National League Central-leading Cubs, they didn't lose ground in the standings. Milwaukee remained 1½ games behind and St. Louis two games back, as both lost.

Zambrano's no-win battle of criticizing the fans could get even uglier if he continues to struggle. He said he should be receiving more support from Cubs fans.

"They pay to see a good show, and they pay to see a good pitcher," Zambrano said. "Right now, I'm not doing too well. I just call (for the) fans and want a little support. That's all, you know.

"When you have a brother or somebody and you're brother is struggling, you show him love. You don't show him that you want to kick him out. That's what I ask to the fans. A little support.

"Not only me. You know ... I mean, I try to go out there and do my best. But for all the people -- not everybody is like Carlos Zambrano, who keeps his head up and keeps trying to do a good job. There are some people on this team who when they struggle, they keep going down, down. That's not fair.

"That happened before with some of my teammates. That's not right. We go out there to give Chicago Cub fans a good show. We want to go to the playoffs. That's what I want. That's what we want. Nobody wants to do a bad job."

In recent years, players such as Corey Patterson, LaTroy Hawkins, Kyle Farnsworth and Todd Hundley were severely taken to task by fans while they were with the Cubs. Current Cubs Jacque Jones and Ryan Dempster also have gotten rough treatment when they've struggled.

Popular first baseman Derrek Lee usually tries to say the politically correct thing, but even he has a tough time watching his teammates take a verbal beating.

"I'm not a big fan of booing at home," Lee said. "Maybe if it's a lack of effort, I can understand it. But 'Z' has been so good for this organization. He gives everything he has, and I have a hard time when they boo him."

While Zambrano is not happy with the fans, he blamed himself for his poor performance.

"The ball is in my hands -- it's all my fault because I'm the pitcher," Zambrano said. "After the contract ... I'm supposed to do a better job. That's part of the game."

Zambrano was outdone Monday by former White Sox All-Star Loaiza, who was making his Dodgers debut after spending most of the season on Oakland's disabled list because of a neck injury. Loaiza settled down after giving up a leadoff home run to Alfonso Soriano in the first, eventually going seven innings and allowing three runs.

Former Cub Luis Gonzalez had two hits and scored three runs for the Dodgers.
    BELIEVE

I know he shouldn't care one way or the other, but he is human and he does wear his emotions on his sleeve. He is trying his @ss off every pitch to get each batter. I agree with Carlos. Don't boo the man unless he isn't working hard or isn't trying. I hate it too, but come on. Someone with a huge extension shouldn't be crying about boos, but still.

Comment

Just prove the haters wrong then...

Comment

I'm with Carlos too. I think he put it very well.
        Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Once you sign a big contract your relationship with the fans changes. You either produce or you get booed.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
            Once you sign a big contract your relationship with the fans changes. You either produce or you get booed.
            I completely Agree. These fans want to see a winner for the next 5 years not a pitcher who lets his emotions take over him.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
              He didn't sign a contract with us. He signed a contract with the owners. He's not accountable to us. He's accountable to them.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                He didn't sign a contract with us. He signed a contract with the owners. He's not accountable to us. He's accountable to them.
                I totally disagree he is accountable to us, because we pay his salary in the form of ticket prices, fan wear and other items. I would also argure there is a contract between players and fans. We as Cubs Fans have always supported lousy teams, Millions of us showed up last year to see one of the worst teams in Cubs history. The contract between Cubs Players and Cub Fans is simply, play to your ability and we will support you. Consistently play below your ability and the contract between fans and players is broken. We have stood by Carlos for the last month and watch him fall apart. This just happened to be the game where we had enough and had to send a reminder of the contract.

Never forget the ultimate award we will bestow upon our team:

Imagine what the roar of the crowd will sound like if the Cubs actually win the World Series. These players will hear something like no other players have ever heard, the cheers for other teams World series victories will pale in comparison.

This isn't simply a "Bad Game" as Carlos calls it. We have thousands of instances where we have supported our players when they are struggling, take for example 40,000 fans standing and cheering Dempster as he load the bases and walks the next batter in the ninth inning of a critical game. We stand by our players until it becomes obvious that they need a kick in the pants. Our 99 Years of suffering through Billy Goats and Bartmans, far outweights the boos a single player may hear for repeated lousy play. Or the disappointment of saying "Maybe Next Year" because our Ace can't keep his head in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by cpomeroy View Post
                  I totally disagree he is accountable to us, because we pay his salary in the form of ticket prices, fan wear and other items. I would also argure there is a contract between players and fans. We as Cubs Fans have always supported lousy teams, Millions of us showed up last year to see one of the worst teams in Cubs history. The contract between Cubs Players and Cub Fans is simply, play to your ability and we will support you. Consistently play below your ability and the contract between fans and players is broken. We have stood by Carlos for the last month and watch him fall apart. This just happened to be the game where we had enough and had to send a reminder of the contract.

Never forget the ultimate award we will bestow upon our team:

Imagine what the roar of the crowd will sound like if the Cubs actually win the World Series. These players will hear something like no other players have ever heard, the cheers for other teams World series victories will pale in comparison.

This isn't simply a "Bad Game" as Carlos calls it. We have thousands of instances where we have supported our players when they are struggling, take for example 40,000 fans standing and cheering Dempster as he load the bases and walks the next batter in the ninth inning of a critical game. We stand by our players until it becomes obvious that they need a kick in the pants. Our 99 Years of suffering through Billy Goats and Bartmans, far outweights the boos a single player may hear for repeated lousy play. Or the disappointment of saying "Maybe Next Year" because our Ace can't keep his head in the game.
                  Couldn't of been said better.

Comment

zambrano needs to keep his head on the ball. when i failed my pops didn't pat me on the back, telling me "that's okay son, maybe next year." no, he'd get my ass moving. and i did better for it. he did remind me i could do anything i wanted, but that i had to work for it. and having a fit on the pitching mound wasnt going to help anything.
                    ~~~~~The woods are full of wardens.~~~~~

Comment

Zambrano needs to cool down and start focusing on Pitching.

Comment

he apologized, which was good.

Comment

obligated?

In the ancient and wise words of Buddha "there is no"try" there is simply to do or do not." Whoever Z is working for; his job is to do a $91.5 million job. 0 for the last whatever is not a $91.5 million job.

Comment

Originally posted by kirchcat View Post
                            In the ancient and wise words of Buddha "there is no"try" there is simply to do or do not." Whoever Z is working for; his job is to do a $91.5 million job. 0 for the last whatever is not a $91.5 million job.
                            That line gets attributed to Buddha a lot. Too bad it's a bs line.... Carlos isn't failing for lack of "do", or even lack of "try" for that matter. Maybe it's a head thing. Maybe it's an issue of mechanics. Maybe he's got a sore shoulder he hasn't told people about (if I had been on staff with Wood and Prior, I wouldn't mention so much as an ingrown hair in a contract year). There is no lack of desire or lack of effort here, and for as much as you guys are complaining about Carlos now, feel lucky that we have a pitcher who will never, ever phone it in under any circumstances.

As for t-shirt and ticket sales, you might consider again where the money comes from. Roughly 3 million ticket sales a year at an average of $34 per ticket is going to yield $102 million, which would cover the payroll provided (a) the coaches, grounds crew, front office, vendors, box office people, security, mascots, janitorial staff, and organist worked for free; (b) Wrigley Field wasn't a crumbling relic in need of major maintenance and upkeep; and (c) the owners didn't feel any need to make money off the operation. The key is in TV money, and sometimes to a lesser extent in municipal bonds. This is the way it works in every sport, and it's the reason why football and baseball players are rich and curling players don't put down the broom when the game is finished.

Zambrano is under no contract to us because he does not play for us. He plays because he loves baseball and happens to be particularly good at it, and we happen to particularly enjoy watching him. He has a contract with the ownership, and the only contract the ownership has with us fans is the implied one that states that they'll field the best team they can afford to and in exchange we'll keep watching those broadcasts, buying those tickets, etc. Geographically, the team I'm closest to is the Royals. Based on that, I can tell you that the aformentioned implied contract is tenuous at best.

And really....Dempster being cheered after loading the bases? Yeah right. He'd get grief for getting a save on three popouts ("well, ya know, they really shouldn't be making contact at all, I mean, if he were a real pitcher and all").

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                              That line gets attributed to Buddha a lot. Too bad it's a bs line.... Carlos isn't failing for lack of "do", or even lack of "try" for that matter. Maybe it's a head thing. Maybe it's an issue of mechanics. Maybe he's got a sore shoulder he hasn't told people about (if I had been on staff with Wood and Prior, I wouldn't mention so much as an ingrown hair in a contract year). There is no lack of desire or lack of effort here, and for as much as you guys are complaining about Carlos now, feel lucky that we have a pitcher who will never, ever phone it in under any circumstances.

As for t-shirt and ticket sales, you might consider again where the money comes from. Roughly 3 million ticket sales a year at an average of $34 per ticket is going to yield $102 million, which would cover the payroll provided (a) the coaches, grounds crew, front office, vendors, box office people, security, mascots, janitorial staff, and organist worked for free; (b) Wrigley Field wasn't a crumbling relic in need of major maintenance and upkeep; and (c) the owners didn't feel any need to make money off the operation. The key is in TV money, and sometimes to a lesser extent in municipal bonds. This is the way it works in every sport, and it's the reason why football and baseball players are rich and curling players don't put down the broom when the game is finished.

Zambrano is under no contract to us because he does not play for us. He plays because he loves baseball and happens to be particularly good at it, and we happen to particularly enjoy watching him. He has a contract with the ownership, and the only contract the ownership has with us fans is the implied one that states that they'll field the best team they can afford to and in exchange we'll keep watching those broadcasts, buying those tickets, etc. Geographically, the team I'm closest to is the Royals. Based on that, I can tell you that the aformentioned implied contract is tenuous at best.

And really....Dempster being cheered after loading the bases? Yeah right. He'd get grief for getting a save on three popouts ("well, ya know, they really shouldn't be making contact at all, I mean, if he were a real pitcher and all").
                              yeah my ma runs the same line by me, that zambrano is not under any contract by "us". although, each of us individually funds his payroll, however in a small percentage we do.. i guess you're right in that if he doesnt play well its a loss to the owner and not to us. but if you're a hardcore cubs fan with your family's tradition enrooted in Cubs, its heartbreaking to see our golden boy perform the way he has been. i'm sure lilly can get us the win tonight, though. expect a new golden boy on the lineup fellas.
                              ~~~~~The woods are full of wardens.~~~~~

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X