My Gripe About MLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gripe About MLB

I went home last night, got ready for the Reds and Cubs, turned on the Dish and low and behold, I was blacked out for the game on ESPN HD. Now that may not sound so out of the ordinary, but I live 4 and a half hours from Cincinnati and like 13 hours from Chicago. That is some bs. I get blacked out when the Cubs play the Pirates also and I'm 4 hours away from there. What gives? Is there anything a person can do to help that? Just curious. :crossfingers:

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
    I went home last night, got ready for the Reds and Cubs, turned on the Dish and low and behold, I was blacked out for the game on ESPN HD. Now that may not sound so out of the ordinary, but I live 4 and a half hours from Cincinnati and like 13 hours from Chicago. That is some bs. I get blacked out when the Cubs play the Pirates also and I'm 4 hours away from there. What gives? Is there anything a person can do to help that? Just curious. :crossfingers:
    Yeah I thought it was weird too. I only live just under 2 hours from Chicago and probably 3 hours to Cincy. I was blacked out on ESPN HD also. I got to watch it on FSN though who shows all the Reds game.
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
      I subscribe to the MLB website, and it kills me that I can't see many of the games on the weekends, when I actually have more time, because of Fox's deal with MLB.

Don't get me started about MLB's blackout policy--I would start frothing at the mouth, and soon men in white overcoats would come for me with an uncomfortable jacket featuring very long sleeves.
      To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
        I subscribe to the MLB website, and it kills me that I can't see many of the games on the weekends, when I actually have more time, because of Fox's deal with MLB.
        Same here! When living in Chicago or for that matter downstate IL, rarely was I ever effected by the blackout policy due to the availability of CLTV, FSN Chicago, Fox, FSN Midwest, and WGN. Now that I'm out here in the NW boonies it's WGN, MLB.tv, or bust. If there was one rule I wish I could change about baseball, it would be the blackout rule.

One idea I've had to get around this, is attaching a slingbox to family/friend's TV in Chicago.
        Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 09-20-2007, 08:21 AM.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

How about this for a kicker. I live in Peoria, Il about 2 1/5 hours south of Chicago. And every Cubs Game on MLB.tv is blacked out. Fortunately, I get WGN and FSN which covers most games, but those games that are scheduled on WCIU... Nope. Can't watch em even if they are on ESPN. WCIU isn't even available on service provider in the area.

Comment

Here's the blackout map:
            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kout_Areas.png

Some of them are pretty stupid if you ask me. People in southern Idaho can't watch the Mariners?

Comment

Move to the Everglades, it appears nothing is blacked out there

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                One idea I've had to get around this, is attaching a slingbox to family/friend's TV in Chicago.
                If you attach a slingbox, do you know if the person's TV would be tied up, or can that person watch something else, so that it doesn't get in the way? Also, can more than one person watch remotely at the same time?
                To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                  If you attach a slingbox, do you know if the person's TV would be tied up, or can that person watch something else, so that it doesn't get in the way? Also, can more than one person watch remotely at the same time?
                  I'm not quite sure how it works exactly, the people I've encountered who've used were on vacation (in Mexico) and watching the Cubs game via CLTV and FSN Chicago, who also had a laptop/tv converter to watch the game on a bigger screen. But from what I understand, you hook the slingbox up to your tv cable cord (like you would with a vcr) as well as an internet outlet (dsl/cable/etc).

From what I just read on the slingbox website, only one person can access it one time. As for the other question, In most situations, both of you will be watching and controlling the same device. However, the Slingbox™ PRO, TUNER and CLASSIC have an internal tuner, so for standard cable (coaxial) inputs, you can set-up your Slingbox™ to watch either your TV, DVR, etc. while the remote user watches standard cable (or vice versa). In addition, many customers connect the Slingbox to a secondary TV or a secondary TV source in another room to avoid remote conflicts
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

There is also some "Illegal" sites that allow you to watch the games for free online, but I don't think I can mention them here.

Comment

From what I just read on the slingbox website, only one person can access it one time. As for the other question, In most situations, both of you will be watching and controlling the same device. However, the Slingbox™ PRO, TUNER and CLASSIC have an internal tuner, so for standard cable (coaxial) inputs, you can set-up your Slingbox™ to watch either your TV, DVR, etc. while the remote user watches standard cable (or vice versa). In addition, many customers connect the Slingbox to a secondary TV or a secondary TV source in another room to avoid remote conflicts
                      Thanks for the helpful info. Now I just have to find someone that will let me take over their TV once or twice a weekend for a couple of hours.

Comment

It almost seems like MLB doesn't want to have fans anymore.
                        Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                          There is also some "Illegal" sites that allow you to watch the games for free online, but I don't think I can mention them here.
                          I know what you mean. They're great.

Comment

Same here! When living in Chicago or for that matter downstate IL, rarely was I ever effected by the blackout policy due to the availability of CLTV, FSN Chicago, Fox, FSN Midwest, and WGN. Now that I'm out here in the NW boonies it's WGN, MLB.tv, or bust. If there was one rule I wish I could change about baseball, it would be the blackout rule.

I understand you can only get WGN if your in Tacoma or Spokane in the state of Washington. I'm in neither.

I have the baseball package through comcast cable out here in the PNW. I used to have direct tv. The prices were about the same, except with direct tv I got the Yes Network and WGN, with comcast I don't. I get YES NET only for the Yankee games, but none of the other programs with comcast.. Anyway,with the baseball package, they guarantee about 40 out of market games per week. Some times FOX or ESPN would buy up some games and show you highlights or at bats only. It would be blacked out on the normal spots. What sucks also is if the Mariners are in say on the road or at home and the local comcast crew decides not to work the game, I can't go on the baseball package and watch the visiting Fox crew do the game. It's blacked out.

Also, a complaint of many on the Western side of the cascade mountains was KOMO TV, which is the ABC station. For Decades they decided to tape delay MNF games one hour so they could broadcast the local news. This finally changed just a few years ago. The only place in the country where this was done.
                            Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 10-02-2007, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vptpt View Post
                              It almost seems like MLB doesn't want to have fans anymore.
                              Scheduling playoff games at 10 pm EST isn't exactly the way to build a young fan base--how many pre-teens are going to be up at 1 am to finish the game? Heck, I'm closer to 40 than 30, so that's starting to become late for me as well.

I understand the desire to have the games during primetime in the home markets, but they should start the games at 9 pm EST at the latest, and the game will still be on during prime time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X