2007 Quick Prospect Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Quick Prospect Review

I am looking for some information or opinion on where the Cub's Farm System stands after 2007. Though a couple good young players emerged this year (particularly Marmol), I can't help but feel we are starting to dry out in terms of solid MLB prospects. A couple that made top 10 lists recently, like Dopirak and Harvey, have really dropped off and look like they will fade away. We have some OK position player prospects, but noone anyone seems really excited about, except maybe Pie (and so far at the MLB level, he can't hit).

Does anyone have a link to a quick review of where we are, or are there informed opinions?

Going into next year, the possible young players to keep an eye on are:

Felix Pie (hopefully this is temporary)
    Eric Patterson. Apparently though his defense is bad, and not sure his offense projects enough at a corner OF.
    Donald Veal: Everyone says he has a great arm
    Sean Gallagher: Not a high ceiling, but close to ML Ready.

And some fringy players:

Kevin Hart: Pitching very well, hard to know if it's a fluke or not
    Micah Hoffpauir: Probably a MLB PH-er
    Rapada, Pignatiello, Wells, Mateo,Petrick: All fringy RP's. Seems like the Cubs system really churns out fringy RP's very well, and that Hendry has to continuously dump them off the 40-man (Cherry, Wellemeyer, Leicester, etc.)

Anyway, I don't know much, so if someone can point me to someone more knowledgeable, or someone smart, please!

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
    I am looking for some information or opinion on where the Cub's Farm System stands after 2007. Though a couple good young players emerged this year (particularly Marmol), I can't help but feel we are starting to dry out in terms of solid MLB prospects. A couple that made top 10 lists recently, like Dopirak and Harvey, have really dropped off and look like they will fade away. We have some OK position player prospects, but noone anyone seems really excited about, except maybe Pie (and so far at the MLB level, he can't hit).

Does anyone have a link to a quick review of where we are, or are there informed opinions?

Going into next year, the possible young players to keep an eye on are:

Felix Pie (hopefully this is temporary)
    Eric Patterson. Apparently though his defense is bad, and not sure his offense projects enough at a corner OF.
    Donald Veal: Everyone says he has a great arm
    Sean Gallagher: Not a high ceiling, but close to ML Ready.

Anyway, I don't know much, so if someone can point me to someone more knowledgeable, or someone smart, please!
    The system is about at a C grade, there's some talent especially young arms but there are no real superstars on the horizon.

Look out for Veal, outside of a horrendous April he had a pretty good year. I expect to see him at some point during the 08 season probably as a spot starter or lefty pen arm. Colvin also has a chance to make an impression next year, he hits for average well but has little plate discipline while being a wellabove average OF. Another prospect to watch is Eric Patterson, he's one of the rare talents in the minors, a player with power and speed games. There is no doubt EP can hit while working counts like we wished his brother could. EP's problem is that he's not exactly a great fielder, but he does have the athletic ability to play multiple positions at an average level. Patterson could turn into a Figgins type player.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I know Geo Soto seemed to come out of nowhere to me. Was he rated that high before his season this year in the PCL?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
        I know Geo Soto seemed to come out of nowhere to me. Was he rated that high before his season this year in the PCL?
        He was the highest rated catching prospect we had going into the season, of course that's an honor he's held for quite a while now. Geo has always been a good receiver with a strong accurate arm with a decent bat. Most of the scouting industry isn't giving Soto too much credit for this year's numbers in Iowa as it was his third go around in the PCL.

The new catching prospect to look out for is the 2007 supplemental draft pick Josh Donaldson. The boy can hit and is athletic enough and smart enough to stay behind the plate.
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Bob, are you still high on Piggy? I'm really hoping to see him take Ohman's spot next season.
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

And some fringy players:

Kevin Hart: Pitching very well, hard to know if it's a fluke or not
            Micah Hoffpauir: Probably a MLB PH-er
            Rapada, Pignatiello, Wells, Mateo,Petrick: All fringy RP's. Seems like the Cubs system really churns out fringy RP's very well, and that Hendry has to continuously dump them off the 40-man (Cherry, Wellemeyer, Leicester, etc.)
            The Cubs draft/develop pitchers that better than anyone in the game the last 10 years or so. Many starting prospects who don't develop control or a third pitch become relievers. A few pitching prospects to look out for in 2008 are Mark Holliman and Mitch Atkins, both had very good seasons in 07 and both were contenders for Cubs pitcher of the year (and should have won it instead of Hart).

Samardzija is my pick to shake the MLB next year, much like Marmol did this season. The Shark was horrible in High A yet the Cubs still promoted him to AA and he excelled there. The more and more he gets a feel for pitching, the more dangerous he will be.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
              Bob, are you still high on Piggy? I'm really hoping to see him take Ohman's spot next season.
              We should have dealt Ohman last offseason when he had some decent value, now if we deal him we'd be lucky to get away without paying some of his contract. Piggy could easily replace him as our LOOGY, but Piggs doesn't have too much room for err due to his lack of velocity. Don't be suprised if the hardthrowing lefty Veal gets a chance to throw out of the MLB pen too at some point in 08.

Comment

One more question for you, Bob: what are Marshall's, Hill's, and Marquis's roles next year with the club? Taking quality starts, ERA, and run support into consideration, Marquis is undoubtedly the weak link (he's the only one of the five main guys in the rotation to turn in quality starts on fewer than half of his outings), but I have this sneaking suspicion that Hill or Marshall will be traded and Marquis will stay. Do you have any thoughts on that, and/or whether or not one of them might be moved to the pen in lieu of a healthy Prior or another young guy?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                  One more question for you, Bob: what are Marshall's, Hill's, and Marquis's roles next year with the club? Taking quality starts, ERA, and run support into consideration, Marquis is undoubtedly the weak link (he's the only one of the five main guys in the rotation to turn in quality starts on fewer than half of his outings), but I have this sneaking suspicion that Hill or Marshall will be traded and Marquis will stay. Do you have any thoughts on that, and/or whether or not one of them might be moved to the pen in lieu of a healthy Prior or another young guy?
                  I share everyone's trepidation about Marquis. I don't think he is a great pitcher. Or even a consistently good one. I do think that alot of people go overboard torching Marquis. He is what he is: An inconsistent starter, who in the end is a pretty good 4th man in your rotation. His numbers this year aren't bad, as long as you don't consider him your ace. As a #4, I'll take it and then some.

You are correct in that Hill or Marshall should be trade bait. Obviously the return on Hill better be VERY good, because that would leave a hole to plug in the rotation. I think there are options the Cubs could use to replace Marshall (Hart, Prior, Gallagher, other options), though if he can be a LOOGY, might be worth keeping him, because we don't have one. Even though we have alot of guys under contract and are theoretically set, I just can't see Hendry sitting still. He's gonna move somebody. Maybe even Marmol! I know that's heresy, but suppose we could trade him for Santana, for example...I would be helping Carlos pack, despite his awesome year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                    I share everyone's trepidation about Marquis. I don't think he is a great pitcher. Or even a consistently good one. I do think that alot of people go overboard torching Marquis. He is what he is: An inconsistent starter, who in the end is a pretty good 4th man in your rotation. His numbers this year aren't bad, as long as you don't consider him your ace. As a #4, I'll take it and then some.

You are correct in that Hill or Marshall should be trade bait. Obviously the return on Hill better be VERY good, because that would leave a hole to plug in the rotation. I think there are options the Cubs could use to replace Marshall (Hart, Prior, Gallagher, other options), though if he can be a LOOGY, might be worth keeping him, because we don't have one. Even though we have alot of guys under contract and are theoretically set, I just can't see Hendry sitting still. He's gonna move somebody. Maybe even Marmol! I know that's heresy, but suppose we could trade him for Santana, for example...I would be helping Carlos pack, despite his awesome year.

Marmol for Santana is not a good trade. Marmol for much of anybody is not a good trade.

I'm not suggesting that Hill or Marshall SHOULD be trade bait, merely that I think one of them will be. You are wrong in assuming that Hart or Gallagher is ready to step in and give the sort of quality performances Hill or Marshall turned in (by an examination of ERA and quality starts, both actually turned in better season performances than Zambrano). Prior is tough to figure out, and trading away a sure bet with the design of plugging him in as the replacement is unfathomably dangerous.

From the standpoint of pitchers, the best thing the club could do is sit on their hands and try to trim the fat a little. In my estimation, our best option would look something like this:

ROTATION: Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Marshall, Prior (or Marquis)
                    PEN: Dempster, Marmol, Wood, Howry, Marquis (or Petrick), Eyre, Piggy
                    AAA: Petrick, Hart, Gallagher, Samardzija
                    GONE: Guzman, Cotts, Ohman

If young pitcher trade fodder is needed to make a good deal happen, I'd say Hart first, Gallagher second, Petrick third.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X