Amusing article on Theriot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing article on Theriot

This article is amusing and pretty much spot-on how I feel about Theriot and the media's portrayal.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search?q=theriot
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

well, he needs to get on base more next year (assuming he is our starting shortstop) to be of much value offensively. if you slug .346, you better be getting on at more than a .326 clip

Comment

Here is how I look at Theriot. He isn't the greatest player in Cubs History, but his is an improvement over Perez, Izturis, and he miriad of other crappy middle infielders we have had over the years. He isn't a 30/30 guy but his is the type of guy you want stacked around the 30/30 guys. I do agree that he does need to work on his OBP.

Comment

He's fine, provided he is the 8th best player in the lineup. We can afford one below-average offensive player, provided we have above average elsewhere. So, Theriot stays if we can upgrade our offense in the outfield, which needs an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by cpomeroy View Post
          Here is how I look at Theriot. He isn't the greatest player in Cubs History, but his is an improvement over Perez, Izturis, and he miriad of other crappy middle infielders we have had over the years. He isn't a 30/30 guy but his is the type of guy you want stacked around the 30/30 guys. I do agree that he does need to work on his OBP.
          My predicted numbers on a Theriot was .680-.720 OPS if he was a starter, and I'm actually a little surprised that he ended up below that on a near fulltime scale.

Offensively, he's an improvement over many SS we've spotted in that role the last 5 years or so. But defensively, he's below average. Not to the point (statistically) where I thought he'd be, still most scouts think that he's a disaster waiting to happen at the position. Theriot is a utility a player, a 2B who can spot time at SS and 3B. Pitchers adjusted to him as the season progressed while Ryan didn't adjust to them. He's likely not to post a full season where he drops a .400+ at either OBP/SLG. My money is that if Theriot is our starting SS in 2008 then he'll likely NOT improve on his 2007 numbers.
          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
          Line Drive: .356
          HBP: .342
          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
          Intentional Walk: .176
          Outfield Fly: .035
          Groundball: -.101
          Bunts: -.103
          Infield Fly: -.243
          Strikeout: -.287
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

So, what do we think Cub Fans, our options are?

a) Go into the season with Theriot/Cedeno, hope one pans out
            b) Sign a FA; PS, most are Neifi-esque, with the best available being Eckstein, a slightly better (and way more expensive) Theriot clone
            c) Trade

FA is not the way to go. We have to go with what we have and pray, or pull a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
              So, what do we think Cub Fans, our options are?

a) Go into the season with Theriot/Cedeno, hope one pans out
              b) Sign a FA; PS, most are Neifi-esque, with the best available being Eckstein, a slightly better (and way more expensive) Theriot clone
              c) Trade

FA is not the way to go. We have to go with what we have and pray, or pull a trade.
              Trade. Potential fodder: Cedeno, Hart, Jones, Petrick, Gallagher, Pie, Fontenot, Patterson. Ohman should be given as a gift to a division opponent of our choosing.
              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I say be serious about going after Arod, if not, then offer up some youngsters for Miguel Tejada. He had a down year, but should pick it up........maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                  some youngsters for Miguel Tejada. He had a down year, but should pick it up........maybe.
                  Tejada has been rumored to be on the block, and he should be, given the Orioles being in rebuild mode. I'm afraid he will cost us young pitching, either ML young pitching talent, or a top prospect. He would not come cheap, so whatever we give up will result in some pain. The only tradeable young player we have of any serious value that isn't a pitcher is Felix Pie, and even his value hasn't gone up lately. E-Pat is a so-so prospect, everyone else too young to really project.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                    Tejada has been rumored to be on the block, and he should be, given the Orioles being in rebuild mode. I'm afraid he will cost us young pitching, either ML young pitching talent, or a top prospect. He would not come cheap, so whatever we give up will result in some pain. The only tradeable young player we have of any serious value that isn't a pitcher is Felix Pie, and even his value hasn't gone up lately. E-Pat is a so-so prospect, everyone else too young to really project.
                    The Cubs really don't a great package that overwhelms the O's, the best we could put together is Pie/Hill. Pie would be a must, as we don't have any top pitching prospects to offer, the best we have is Hill. The young guns are severely flawed and don't draw much attention from the scouting core.

Pie did get a huge bump in his value this season despite his short stint MLB numbers. Felix proved to scouts that he can play an exceptional CF and in the minors he showed a much better ability to induce walks and hit offspeed pitches. With his age, potential and further tuning Pie looks to be a very good CF for years to come. And with Baltimore likely losing Patterson to free agency (Atlanta wants him bad) they'll need a CF.
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                      (Atlanta wants him bad)
                      one man's trash....
                      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                        one man's trash....
                        Corey's swing went through a major overhaul over the last season, much like Jacque Jones' did. Corey cut down on his K's massively, balls that Corey would have swung at with homerrun intent before turned into balls that he just tried putting into play. Thusly he turned in his lowest homer total since playing in his first full season. Add in his defense which is considered one of the best in the game today in centerfield and that his only 28 years old, Corey looks like a real good buy for at least the next three years. He's not going to be the uberprospect that Cubs fans hyped (actually OVERHYPED d/t lack of positional prospects) but he's a starting MLBer for years to come.

Comment

And with Baltimore likely losing Patterson to free agency (Atlanta wants him bad) they'll need a CF.
                          I'll be very curious to see if Atlanta can improve his game.
                          To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                            I'll be very curious to see if Atlanta can improve his game.
                            His game is likely to get better anyway with him entering his offensive prime, plus a switch back to the NL. Braves President/GM Schuerholtz has good history of not only developing his own players but bringing in young players with good talent that have preformed below average in the past and getting them to preform.

Comment

His game is likely to get better anyway with him entering his offensive prime, plus a switch back to the NL. Braves President/GM Schuerholtz has good history of not only developing his own players but bringing in young players with good talent that have preformed below average in the past and getting them to preform.
                              I agree. Factoring everything you mentioned (although I don't know how good Schuerholtz's successor will be at developing players), assuming he goes to Atlanta, I project a line of .285/.330/.420, with 35 SBs (getting caught 7 times) for him next year, while playing excellent defense.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X