No announcement yet.

What would you do if you were GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing really wrong with Burnitz as a bench player. The Cubs used him as a starter, not the greatest move in the world had they used him a strict platoon manner his numbers would have been better. 109 in 600+ at bats is not something to cringe about.

Comment

As long as Pagan is around, I think he represents our best option for a 5th OF. I won't discount Patterson as a possibility for the job either. I'm sure Zambrano would be happy to take the job too.

Schilling isn't a good pickup IMO. As of right now I already count seven guys who think they should and/or will be in the rotation next year: Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Marquis, Marshall, Prior, and Dempster. Wood, Marmol, Howry, Weurtz, and Eyre are all locks (more or less) for the bullpen. That means Piggy, Hart, Gallagher, and Petrick aren't even in the discussion as of yet. That's 16 pitchers for 12 spots. I'd personally love to see Marquis and Hart traded, and maybe Gallagher too. More realistically, we'll probably see Hill or Marshall traded along with Hart or Gallagher. That's still 14.

Now is Schilling a better pitcher than some of those guys? Sure, when he's healthy. If he stayed up for an entire season, he'd probably be good for 18-21 quality starts in a weak division like ours. He'll probably miss 2-4 starts during the season though, so 16-18 is probably more realistic. It's tough to cast a guy as a ringer when you don't know how many games you'll actually get out of him, and when the guy whose job he'd end up taking will still likely give you 15 quality starts in a full season.

So that's $13 million dollars for two additional quality starts, while possibly stunting the development of one of our younger guys. I don't see that as a positive. SS and CF are the only positions we need to concern ourselves with.
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

To clear up the confusion on Monroe, the Cubs do technically own his rights. But not really. The reason is that they either have to offer him arbitration, or let him walk and not be able to re-sign him. He made $4.5 mil last year, which means the LEAST the Cubs can offer him is $3.6 mil. Once they do that, they are locked into Monroe. There is no way that happens, so really, he is a FA, and we can't resign him, because he would not be able to play for us before May 15th.

Monroe is completely out of the picture. Not that he mattered much, but not an option.

Good to see Hendry picked up the OPTION on Daryl Ward, and declined them on Trachsel and Floyd. No word on whether Eyre will excercise his $3.8 mil player option, but he would be crazy not to.

Comment

No. If the Cubs don't offer Monroe arbitration or the Cubs and Monroe do not come to an agreement he gets put on waivers. At which time any of the 29 other teams can put a waiver claim on him. If a team does then they own his rights and then they offer arbitration or come to an agreement. If no team puts a waiver claim in on Monroe (or somehow no team that claims him offers him arbitration, a silly proposition)then and only then does Monroe become a free agent.

Comment

I'd do whatever it took to get A-Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
              No. If the Cubs don't offer Monroe arbitration or the Cubs and Monroe do not come to an agreement he gets put on waivers. At which time any of the 29 other teams can put a waiver claim on him. If a team does then they own his rights and then they offer arbitration or come to an agreement. If no team puts a waiver claim in on Monroe (or somehow no team that claims him offers him arbitration, a silly proposition)then and only then does Monroe become a free agent.
              OK, you're right technically, but the bottom line is this: We either a) pay him $3.6 mil next year, or b) the Craig Monroe era is over. Hendry will not do a), so he is not an option for us. Case closed. And I don't think any team will claim him or offer arbitration, he isn't worth $3.6 mil. He'll clear waivers, get an unconditional release, and hook on with someone after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                OK, you're right technically, but the bottom line is this: We either a) pay him $3.6 mil next year, or b) the Craig Monroe era is over. Hendry will not do a), so he is not an option for us. Case closed. And I don't think any team will claim him or offer arbitration, he isn't worth $3.6 mil. He'll clear waivers, get an unconditional release, and hook on with someone after that.
                No that is incorrect. Scott Elarton was non tendered by the Colorado Rockies in the winter of 2003. The Rockies then re-signed him in March of 2004 and he opened the season with the Rockies.

If a player declares his free agency and his original team does not sign him or offer a contract then and only then is that team no longer allowed to sign or negotiate with that player until May 1st.

But if a team non tenders a player they can then sign him anytime they want. The free agency signing deadline has to do with players who have declared their free agency status. Craig Monroe cannot declare to be a free agent yet.
                Last edited by Ubiquitous; 11-05-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I think the Cubs are better off makng some trades vs. going after free agents this year. What kind of team does Pinella try to manage? Speed and bullpen so, that's where the attention should focus. Possibly Prior has some value for somone willing to take a chance. Wood seems to have some value too. You just never know what the Cubs will do. There's never a plan or direction on the type of team they want to make.
                  In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by HDH View Post
                    I think the Cubs are better off makng some trades vs. going after free agents this year. What kind of team does Pinella try to manage? Speed and bullpen so, that's where the attention should focus. Possibly Prior has some value for somone willing to take a chance. Wood seems to have some value too. You just never know what the Cubs will do. There's never a plan or direction on the type of team they want to make.
                    I'm starting to feel the way you are feeling also. I think Carl Crawford would be a good trade for us. Of course we would have to give up some good players.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                      I'm starting to feel the way you are feeling also. I think Carl Crawford would be a good trade for us. Of course we would have to give up some good players.
                      He has decent fielding stats at CF in limited time there.... A Soriano/Crawford/Murton outfield? That would be worth trading Hill IMO.

Comment

Has Tampa Bay ever said anything about Crawford actually being available? I highly doubt they, with that team on the cusp of being relevant, will trade away it's best player for a #4 starter and a few prospects, when they already have the best farm system in the Majors.

Comment

That would take Hill, Pie, and probably another high prospect.

Comment

Throw Samardzija in there too. I have never liked that deal (Jeff's) one bit. Otherwise they would have to give up someone who's going to actually contribute. (Colvin, Patterson, etc..)

Comment

Hill, Pie, Hart.

Comment

Here's the link to a rumor of it.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=71530

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X