Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dempster in the Rotation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dempster in the Rotation

    According to the Sun Times this morning, Lou and Hendry confirmed that Dempster is slated for the Starting Rotation for next year. Dempster has made no secret of his desire to head there, and is going to start preparing for that again.

    That is an important move I think for the off-season, with alot of implications. I am curious what you guys think, but my initial thoughts:

    *I was not comfortable with Dempster as the closer anymore. I AM comfortable, however, with him as a back of the rotation starter. As a #4 or #5, he's honestly pretty solid. I know that is heresy to some, but you can do worse than him back there.
    *That means either Marquis or Marshall will not be in the rotation to start the season. At least on paper. We need an extra starter somewhere in case of injury, like Kevin Hart or Gallagher. Either Marshall goes to the pen, or one of them is going to get moved. If it's Marshall, that would net us a decent player in return, because he is young and cheap. If it's Marquis, I think a club would take his contract, but probably would not give us much else in return.
    *The other obvious place this has impact is the bullpen. Either Howry or Marmol will be the closer. I vote for Marmol, though there is something to be said for rolling out Marmol in a "must-hold" inning. If Marshall is in the PEN, that would fill that slot, though I don't know how he really projects in the bullpen. I would feel better if the Cubs re-signed WOOD in this mix. If Marshall is in the pen, I am not sure how he would do; he does have better stats vs. LH than RH (.231 LH vs. .276 RH), so maybe he could be a LOOGY. We need someone there, because Eyre and Ohman are all we got now.

    Anyway, your thoughts.

  • #2
    I think Howry will get the closer job over Marmol, simply because Marmol is so incredibly solid doing setup. The great thing is that we have three natural closers (add Wood to that list) on top of Demp, who I'm not at all uncomfortable with in a closing role. As for the rotation, Marshall was solid enough out of the pen to get the job done, though I'd rather see Marquis there (I really don't want to see any more starts by Marquis). I suspect Hill will be traded, however, so it may be a moot point unless Prior is ready.

    I'm fine with just about anything as long as Angel Guzman isn't involved.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

    Comment


    • #3
      Marmol is great. I think that he needs to be the new closer. It dosn't make sense to keep your big time reliever as a setup man and use a lesser reliever as the closer. I still don't get why the Indians keep Borowski around with all of those talented relievers. I hope that moving Dempster to the rotation is a harbinger of Kerry Wood being involved in the Cubs bullpen next season.

      Comment


      • #4
        I suspect Rich Hill and some other minor leaguer will be traded for Raul Ibanez although he only has 1 more year left on his Seattle deal. I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall moved into the rotation and trade Jason Marquis to anyone. Preferably in our division. I would like to see Wood or Marmol as our closer, but who knows. Howry even said last year while he had to close, that he didn't enjoy closing. Also remember, Angel Guzman did a decent job as a spot starter last year before he got injured.
        Last edited by Lipsander; 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
          I suspect Rich Hill and some other minor leaguer will be traded for Raul Ibanez although he only has 1 more year left on his Seattle deal. I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall moved into the rotation and trade Jason Marquis to anyone. Preferably in our division. I would like to see Wood or Marmol as our closer, but who knows. Howry even said last year while he had to close, that he didn't enjoy closing. Also remember, Angel Guzman did a decent job as a spot starter last year before he got injured.
          He did okay as a spot starter. He didn't lose any games, but he was far from dominant. I'm not a fan, but I had high hopes that he'd at least pick up his first win as a starter. I feel for the kid, but I don't really want him around. He's not dominant enough to close or durable enough to start. He's just an average pitcher. I'd take him over Glendon Rusch or Les Walrond, but that's about it.

          I seem to remember about six months ago when everybody was gunning for Wuertz to have the closer job. Anybody still keen on that?
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
            I seem to remember about six months ago when everybody was gunning for Wuertz to have the closer job. Anybody still keen on that?
            Probably because Howry wasn't looking good, and Marmol wasn't an option. I like Wuertz, he strikes me though as sort of a one-trick pony, that one-trick being a very very good slider. He isn't as effective against Lefties, and doesn't have the heat to blow past people when the slider isn't working. I think I like him as a Righty Situational Releiver only. A good guy to have in the pen though, I'm glad he's there. Just not a closer.

            At this point, I guess our bullpen is:

            LOCKS: Marmol, Howry, Wuertz, Eyre
            PICK 2: Ohman, Petrick, Gallagher, Hart, Guzman, other

            I'm sure that picture will change between now and March. We need a Lefty we can trust.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
              Probably because Howry wasn't looking good, and Marmol wasn't an option. I like Wuertz, he strikes me though as sort of a one-trick pony, that one-trick being a very very good slider. He isn't as effective against Lefties, and doesn't have the heat to blow past people when the slider isn't working. I think I like him as a Righty Situational Releiver only. A good guy to have in the pen though, I'm glad he's there. Just not a closer.

              At this point, I guess our bullpen is:

              LOCKS: Marmol, Howry, Wuertz, Eyre
              PICK 2: Ohman, Petrick, Gallagher, Hart, Guzman, other

              I'm sure that picture will change between now and March. We need a Lefty we can trust.
              I was joking. I like Wuertz too, but I agree that he shouldn't be closer. On the pick 2, remember that one of the prospective starters (Prior, Marshall, Marquis) will take one of those spots. For the second spot I would take Piggy.
              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

              Comment


              • #8
                Perhaps I have missed something...why are we possibly trading Hill??? I thought him to be a solid starter in the rotation.

                I also can see Demster in the rotation.

                Could we sort of work a swing shift on the set-up & closer situation? A three way deal between Marmol Howrey and Wood?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by josecardenal01 View Post
                  Perhaps I have missed something...why are we possibly trading Hill??? I thought him to be a solid starter in the rotation.

                  I also can see Demster in the rotation.

                  Could we sort of work a swing shift on the set-up & closer situation? A three way deal between Marmol Howrey and Wood?
                  If we want anything of value in a position player we're going to have to trade a young, MLB-ready player. Take a look at the list: Hill, Marshall, Marmol, Theriot, Fontenot, and Murton. Guess who they're going to want?
                  Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would want Hill or Marmol

                    But I hate for the Cubs to give up either..which should go first???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's the biggest problem with trading. The other team presumably knows about baseball. I love when you listen to talk radio and someone says "We should trade Glendon Rusch, Freddie Bynum, (insert name here) for someone decent!!!"

                      If you don't want them, chance are noone else does. If you want something of value, you have to give up somebody that you LIKE. Like Rich Hill. Hendry would never give him away. He has value. Rest assured, if we traded him, we'll get something VERY good back.

                      Nathankent correctly identified the Cubs of trade value. Hill, Marmol, Pie have LOTS. Marshall, Murton, have some; they will get you what they are, legit major leaguers, but no stars, more spare parts. Theriot doesn't have too much, he is really a bench player.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If I have to pick between letting go of Hill and Marmol, I pick Hill. He didn't look nearly as consistent as Marmol did, and we have plenty of lefty starters anyways. I don't want Piniella and Hendry looking at our rotation down the stretch next year and deciding we need to bring in another Trachsel to take advantage of matchups.
                        Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X