Andruw Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andruw Jones

I keep reading about Jones possibly signing a 1 year deal loaded with incentives to get his value back up. Does anyone see how this would be bad for us? Of course if his offense was like last year's I can see why.

The guy is a Boras client, so if he does re-establish his value you will have to accept that he will go the free agent route rather than accept an in-season contract extension. So if you are willing to take a one year flyer and block Felix Pie then go for it.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
      I keep reading about Jones possibly signing a 1 year deal loaded with incentives to get his value back up. Does anyone see how this would be bad for us? Of course if his offense was like last year's I can see why.
      I don't see Jones considering a 1-year. I really don't. Sure, a 1-year flier is fine, why not. But I bet he gets 4 years from somebody. He cost himself alot though, and I'm sure Torii Hunter will outearn him this offseason, and maybe Rowand too.

Comment

PS, a guy I would be interested in though if Fukudome. He is a left-handed hitting corner outfielder, precisely what we need. Like many Japanese players, he has strong fundamentals and good plate discipline, something sorely lacking on the Cubs in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
          PS, a guy I would be interested in though if Fukudome. He is a left-handed hitting corner outfielder, precisely what we need. Like many Japanese players, he has strong fundamentals and good plate discipline, something sorely lacking on the Cubs in recent years.
          I have been reading about him also. He would be a good one for us.

Comment

Jones at one year, I would jump on. However, I think that he'll get a multi-year offer that he'll accept.
            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

yeah, I say go for Jones, I am not a fan of Felix Pie, he dropped way to many easy balls and he can't hit in clutch situations.

Comment

I would jump on the opportunity to sign Jones to a 1-year deal. I can see him having a strong year and reclaiming his type-A free agent status, in which the Cubs could grab a couple of draft picks if he leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by CUBS4VEDDER View Post
                  yeah, I say go for Jones, I am not a fan of Felix Pie, he dropped way to many easy balls and he can't hit in clutch situations.
                  considering that he had 0 errors last year (so he didn't drop any balls) in the MLB and it was his first year... at age 22 mind you... he did what i expected... play good D with below average offense...

what were you expecting of him really? cant hit in "clutch" situation??? wow... first of all... he didnt have that many of those situations the only players on the cubs who did that this past year was A Ram mostly... i believe that the "clutch" situation is useless and cant prove it really. its really a bad way to say thats why you're not a fan of cuz of that.... are you a fan of a rod? he's not clutch... i can go on and on with that...

im not a fan of Jones really, his D is starting to decline a little and on offense, his OBP doesn't make for his bad AVG like Dunn does. I rather go after Fukudome cuz i think Jones still gonna get like 10 mil a year anyway...

i really believe that the cubs should give Pie the CF at the start of next season... he finally made it and saw some action... hes gonna train in the offseason and work on his offense some more... i really think he'll do better next year for us. i think he's gonna be better than patterson and look how long we gave him a shot... why cant we do that to pie? if not and we sign a CF, we need to trade him... or if a guy like Carl Crawford came up in trade talks and wanted pie in return(which they wouldnt cuz theyre loaded with OFs), then i would do it...
                  "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                  Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                  Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                  Bo Jackson

Comment

Pie deserves a shot. Sure, I'd love to have Torii Hunter out there, who wouldn't, but the realities of money mean that isn't happening.

We probably have the money to get one good player on the FA market, maybe 2; I wouldn't spend that in CF. That would mean giving up on Pie already.

Besides, if Pie falls on his face, we have an acceptable alternative on the roster: Jacque Jones. I can't believe Jones actually played a good CF last year, but it happened, we saw it. He is a good backup option. Plan A, and Plan B.

The #1 priority with our limited financial resources is a left-handed hitting corner outfielder. #2 is a pitcher. I am personally pushing for Fukudome, he would very nicely fit our needs. With Fukudome, Pie, and Soriano in the OF, our defense out there would go from Scary-Bad to Scary-Good, probably best in the majors (not kidding).

As for #2, there are several ways we could go, we just need a little more Uumph. A left-handed releiver would be a great idea. A starter might be good too, though we would likely trade someone to do that, as it's getting crowded already.

Comment

Wouldn't it be something if Hendry pulled the strings on a deal for Santana? We'd give up alot, but.........nah, who am I kidding.

Comment

I think he would be a great signing for the cubs.
                        MySpace Codes

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
                          im not a fan of Jones really, his D is starting to decline a little and on offense, his OBP doesn't make for his bad AVG like Dunn does. I rather go after Fukudome cuz i think Jones still gonna get like 10 mil a year anyway...
                          Jones' D is starting to decline but seriously how long could he hold up playing the best D in one of the most demanding jobs of all time. That's right, Andruw at his peak, was one of the greatest (if not the greatest) defensive CF to ever play the game. Still his offensive skillset lacks in contact and his numbers are ever yet declining but someone will give him at least 3-4 years at 10million per if not 14million per.

My problem with going after Fukudome is that we're falling in love with his numbers and abilities over in Japan, and often for a foreign hitter those skills don't translate out. Koshe's best attribute is his ability to work counts that skill is likely to stay but it's his contact and power that I have grave concerns over. Koshe is not the next Ichiro, he's not even the next Hideki Matsui, but in the same breath he's not So Taguchi; yet Fukudome is looking for 8-12 million per season in the MLB (for at least 3 years), which is double what he's asking from Japanese clubs. Koshe is really sending out the vibe that if an American team wants him, then they'll have to play by his rules and give him what he wants.

i really believe that the cubs should give Pie the CF at the start of next season... he finally made it and saw some action... hes gonna train in the offseason and work on his offense some more... i really think he'll do better next year for us. i think he's gonna be better than patterson and look how long we gave him a shot... why cant we do that to pie? if not and we sign a CF, we need to trade him... or if a guy like Carl Crawford came up in trade talks and wanted pie in return(which they wouldnt cuz theyre loaded with OFs), then i would do it...
                          Pie deserves a shot at CF next year but with the way Fuld just lite up the Arizona Fall League, he's likely to get a long look in Spring Training. Pie is alot like Patterson, the difference already is that Pie is more developed, he's paid his dues in the minors and didn't get the quick call like we gave Corey. Patterson actually should have been given a longer look due to how rapidly we excelled him through our system. CP has put up good numbers since leaving Chicago and turned into one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball. The Cubs aren't going to give Pie the free run of CF like they had with Corey because Hendry, Pinella, and Co. want to win NOW, and they'll do whatever it takes to win now instead of bettering for the future.
                          Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 11-21-2007, 10:13 AM.
                          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                          Line Drive: .356
                          HBP: .342
                          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                          Intentional Walk: .176
                          Outfield Fly: .035
                          Groundball: -.101
                          Bunts: -.103
                          Infield Fly: -.243
                          Strikeout: -.287
                          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

With my luck, we'll sign Mike Cameron. I think he's suspended for X amount of games for the beginnning of the season also. Cameron is the same type of player we most always sign. A good player that is on the decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                              someone will give him at least 3-4 years at 10million per if not 14million per...yet Fukudome is looking for 8-12 million per season in the MLB (for at least 3 years), which is double what he's asking from Japanese clubs.
                              Jones and Fukudome at the same money, I'd take Jones over Fukudome in a hearbeat, but I expect Jones to be a lot more. They are the same age, and I'll take my chances that Jones had an unusually down year versus the chance that Fukudome's skills won't translate. Only drawback is if the Braves go arbitration and extract draft picks from losing him. Not sure if they will--it's a little risky for them to offer arbitration if they don't want Jones.

Original estimates (pretty old ones) on Fukudome estimated that he would sign for around $15 million total, or roughly $4 million per, for 4 years, which is the price that he would make sense for the Cubs. I wouldn't do it if it is in the range of $8-12 million per.

For all the talk of Jones losing a step defensively, the guys who study defense over at www.fieldingbible.com say he was the best defensive CF in 2007. He'll be plenty good defensively for another 2 to 3 years at least, barring injury.
                              To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X