Matsui at SS ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matsui at SS ???

I read on another site that the Cubs may sign Matsui from the Colorado Rockies for next year. The Cubs have apparently let it known that they are willing to go 3 years on a contract. Matsui wants to at least double his 1.5 million $ salary.....

Matsui 2007: .288 BA and 32 SB

Also, it seems with the "thin SS market" Roddy Cedeneo's value may go up???
    (I dont understand this logic, but that is what the rumor site said)

What will we do with Theriot?

What do you guys think???

I think that before the Cubs pursue a guy who's career OPS+ is 82 and has never shown the ability to be a decent SS you might want to pursue other options.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

My God, do we really need another middle infielder? Sweetness Omar Infante looks like he's gonna be here soon.

Comment

He's Here...What are we going to do with this guy???

Look for more trades....

Comment

I think this is dead with the Infante trade. We have better things to spend money on besides Matsui; like, a left-handed hitting corner outfielder (Fukudome!).

Matsui's best position is 2B, and I think we are all comfortable starting the season with DeRosa there (and Fontenot as a backup).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
            I think this is dead with the Infante trade. We have better things to spend money on besides Matsui; like, a left-handed hitting corner outfielder (Fukudome!).

Matsui's best position is 2B, and I think we are all comfortable starting the season with DeRosa there (and Fontenot as a backup).
            See... I think the reason behind trying to get Matsui is so we had a better chance at signing Fukudome since having a Japanese player on the team would help Fukudome with the transistion to the MLB. Also I bet Matsui would play better D at SS than Theriot, but basically the same type of offensive player with a little more power so there's no real good reason to get Matsui. Although I wish freakin' Cedeno can hit cuz he got the best D at SS and we need it badly with A Ram's "range of a step and dive" at 3B. With Infante now in the mix, no need for Matsui anymore.

Also, just curious as to what you guys think... What if Boston thinks their prospect at SS is ready and put Lugo on the trading block??? Would you want to go after him? I don't know what it would take to get him. I know he had a bad season last year and I believe he can bounce back. Again, just seeing what your thoughts on Lugo and if it would be worth it.
            "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
            Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
            Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
            Bo Jackson

Comment

Is it possible we got Infante to use him in another trade this offseason? I don't know how that would work out, just a thought I had.
              Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

vptpt: I agree that its a possibility...it occurred to me as soon as I heard the trade was a done deal...because utility players (or players that can play multiple positions on a daily basis: Ex: DeRosa) are valuable to any team with the limited roster...but how many utility players do the Cubs need to have???

The reason I'm not sure DeRosa should be called a utility player is because he is a proven everyday player that has multiple defensive talents...he should play virtually everyday for the Cubs...

But then we have several "utility" or "multiple position' players remaining...Theriot, Cedeno, Infante...what the heck do we do with those guys???

I think that leaves DeRosa as the full-time 2B and Theriot as the SS with Infante as a back up for both postions, or he can compete with Theriot for starting SS I guess...the net result is that we are caring some light bats on the bench...

So were does that leave us in regard to a starting line-up? (not batting order)

C: Soto
                1B: Lee
                2B; DeRosa
                SS: Infante/Theriot
                3B: Ramerez
                LF: Soriano
                CF: Pie
                RF: Murton

maybe switch positions on Murton and Soriano?
                unless there is a trade, I cannot see much of a change in 2008, and this line-up in NOT more potent offensively or defensively than 2007...In my opinion which may not be worth much...

What do you guys think???

Comment

That would bea great trade for the Cubs.
                  MySpace Codes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X