Jones traded to the Tigers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones traded to the Tigers

chicago tribune is reporting that a deal is close with the tigers for omar infante.

thoughts?

Blaugh. Another middle infielder. Kaz Matsui is rumored to be coming our way also.

Comment

This looks like another one of Hendry's trade the right fielder the fans don't like for some middle infielder the team doesn't like, and I am okay with that. Jones needed to go and moving him gives the Cubs a lot more options. It allows them to move Soriano to right and put Murton in left. Then have Pie and Pagan play center. Sign Jenkins and presto you have yourself and outfield.

As for the infield I think Hendry looks at it like this, he knows he really doesn't have an adequate SS, he knows Cedeno, Theriot, and Fontenot are all at best fringe major leaguers. He treats middle infielders like some GM's treat relievers and bullpens. Get a bunch of live bodies and see what works and toss off the stuff that doesn't.

Comment

Jacques Jones? Not thhat this is a bad trade for the Detroit, but I'm not exactly excited about Jones as the new leftfielder.

It seems like both teams would be getting rid of expendable players. No great shakes.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It is official now. Jones went to the Tigers for Omar.

Comment

What's the scouting report on Omar Infante? I can see he is basically the second coming of Ramon Martinez with the bat; I suppose that means he can field, right?

Good glove, not much hit?

Alot of strikeouts for a guy that doesn't have alot of power.

He also appears to be arb-eligible, then a FA after '08.

Comment

PS, I like this move by Hendry, SS is in short-supply this offseason, but you can always find another outfielder.

It also speaks volumes about the level of confidence the Cubs have in Ronny Cedeno. (i.e., not much). If I am not mistaken, Ronny is out of options, meaning he is either on our roster, or we have to cut him this year.

Comment

Wow.... I just pulled his stats.... Can this guy actually play baseball? .253 AVG, .298 OBP, virtually nothing in the way of stolen bases or home runs, and a pedestrian fielding percentage. I'm far from being a Jones fan, but was that the absolute best we could do?
                Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                  Wow.... I just pulled his stats.... Can this guy actually play baseball? .253 AVG, .298 OBP, virtually nothing in the way of stolen bases or home runs, and a pedestrian fielding percentage. I'm far from being a Jones fan, but was that the absolute best we could do?

and you expect to get anything for him? his trade value is pretty much a bucket of balls considering his 5 million salary.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                    and you expect to get anything for him? his trade value is pretty much a bucket of balls considering his 5 million salary.
                    I'll take the bucket of balls.

Comment

Infante was once a well-regarded prospect. Some say he was brought up too early, and after showing some promise in 2004, he regressed and the Tigers never really committed to him.

He's at the age where he probably will never live up to his original expectations. However, he is at worst a versatile bench infielder. At best, he's a player with some upside that perhaps wasn't developed properly in Detroit, and possibly will improve if given consistent playing time. Not a bad return in my view.
                      Last edited by Scartissue; 11-12-2007, 06:01 PM.
                      To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                        Infante was once a well-regarded prospect. Some say he was brought up too early, and after showing some promise in 2004, he regressed and the Tigers never really committed to him.

He's at the age where he probably will never live up to his original expectations. However, he is at worst a versatile bench infielder. At best, he's a player with some upside that perhaps wasn't developed properly in Detroit, and possibly will improve if given consistent playing time. Not a bad return in my view.
                        Jones is a versatile bench outfielder with better numbers. We've already got Theriot, Fontenot, and Ward. How many bench infielders are we shooting for here?

Comment

Call me crazy, but didn't we try to load a line up full of utility infielders in 2006? I sure hope we got him for trade fodder later down the road.

Comment

Jones is a versatile bench outfielder with better numbers. We've already got Theriot, Fontenot, and Ward. How many bench infielders are we shooting for here?
                            Ward can only play 1st. Fontenot is good only for 2B. Infante plays SS, 2B and 3B, as well as outfield positions in a pinch. Theriot and Infante had similar stats offensively last year. Infante is better defensively, and is 2 years younger. His main knock is that he doesn't throw well, but has good range. If I'm going to bet who will be better between Theriot and Infante going forward, my money's on Infante.
                            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Ward if he has to play the field can play left or right along with first base.

But yeah Ward isn't on the bench to field, he is on the bench as a bat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X