Is there something I am missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there something I am missing?

The Brewers just signed Jason Kendall to be their catcher, after trading Johnny Estrada for Guillermo Mota. On the surface these seem like completely ridiculous moves for them (good for us though), but presumably real baseball people are running the Brewers. I saw Jason Kendall last year, and I can read stat sheets too. What are these baseball people seeing that I am not? Is there something I am missing?

I am completely serious, because those two moves look completely nuts. Granted, Estrada apparently had worn out his welcome in Milwaukee with a hot temper and failure to throw out basestealers, despite respectible offensive numbers (sound like a former Cub catcher we know?). So, in return for him, the acquire Guillermo Mota, a reliever who turned in a poor year after a 50-game suspension for Steriod use. Not exactly a hot commodity. It's the signing of Kendall that is really puzzling.

Jason Kendall is a good guy and team player, and he won't pick a fight with Ned Yost. But in terms of ability to play baseball, did anyone else see how cooked he was last year? Am I missing something? He is immobile behind the plate, and can't throw anyone out either. He has zero power, and declining ability to make contact. All he gives you, then, is singles, and he didn't even give Oakland that last year.

He is 33, and his career decline to this point is huge. Does that figure to turn around next year at age 34? Or, plateau? Or, continue to slide? I think the latter.

Maybe I am not smart or missing something, but it seems like the Cubs caught a break here, because Kendall will be a defensive and offensive liability for the Brew Crew, and make them easier to catch. Maybe?

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
    The Brewers just signed Jason Kendall to be their catcher, after trading Johnny Estrada for Guillermo Mota. On the surface these seem like completely ridiculous moves for them (good for us though), but presumably real baseball people are running the Brewers. I saw Jason Kendall last year, and I can read stat sheets too. What are these baseball people seeing that I am not? Is there something I am missing?

I am completely serious, because those two moves look completely nuts. Granted, Estrada apparently had worn out his welcome in Milwaukee with a hot temper and failure to throw out basestealers, despite respectible offensive numbers (sound like a former Cub catcher we know?). So, in return for him, the acquire Guillermo Mota, a reliever who turned in a poor year after a 50-game suspension for Steriod use. Not exactly a hot commodity. It's the signing of Kendall that is really puzzling.

Jason Kendall is a good guy and team player, and he won't pick a fight with Ned Yost. But in terms of ability to play baseball, did anyone else see how cooked he was last year? Am I missing something? He is immobile behind the plate, and can't throw anyone out either. He has zero power, and declining ability to make contact. All he gives you, then, is singles, and he didn't even give Oakland that last year.

He is 33, and his career decline to this point is huge. Does that figure to turn around next year at age 34? Or, plateau? Or, continue to slide? I think the latter.

Maybe I am not smart or missing something, but it seems like the Cubs caught a break here, because Kendall will be a defensive and offensive liability for the Brew Crew, and make them easier to catch. Maybe?
    I agree wholeheartedly. The division race just got a lot easier for us.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

honestly, he would be a good backup catcher. that's all he's good for. I'm looking for the Cubs to run on him a lot next year.
      "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
      Bo Jackson

Comment

....And the Reds signed Cordero to a 4-yr, $42mil deal. Maybe we should have a sticky for OTHER team's moves in the division.

That really hurts Milwaukee, and they were bullpen-thin last year. I suppose they could go back to Turnbow as a stopper, or look for bullpen help, but I think Bullpen will be an area of concern for them, along with their rotation, which fell apart last year as we all know.

The Reds, in the meantime, worry me. We can usually count on them having terrible pitching, but Harang is good, and so is Cordero. That seems like too much money, but I worry about them. They have a ton of bats, and more young bats on the way. With Dunn and Griffey good for maybe one more year each, I think the Reds are making a run this coming season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X