Trade Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Idea?

I usually hate trade ideas, because most of them are unrealistic. Maybe this one is too. But if the Cubs cannot sign Fukudome, what about pursuing another Japanese player: Hideki Matsui?

Apparently the Yankees want to move him. He is expensive, but the Cubs would take on payroll anyway with Fukudome. Apparently the Yankees want a pitcher, but not a top-flight starter, someone along the lines of Noah Lowry. If that's what they are looking for, I imagine Sean Marshall would do it.

He is left-handed, and a pretty darn good hitter. The biggest issue with this idea is defense, since he is really a left-fielder. Can Soriano play right? He certainly threw alot of guys out last year, and has a decent arm, maybe he can make the transition now with some outfield experience? Plus, if the Cubs are considering Ibanez, I can't imagine Matsui is any worse than him.

Anyway, am I off base here?

He has a full no-trade, so he'd have to waive it. There's no reason to believe he'd want to come to Chicago--I suspect most Japanese players don't. They usually prefer the Yankees or a west coast team.

Overall, he's a good player, but he's past his prime and will only get worse. His defense is horrible, which further takes away some of his value. $13 million for his declining skills is a lot to pay. Plus, you'd have to give up decent talent for him. My guess is that Yankees would probably want at least a very good bullpen arm--maybe Howry or Marmol.

I just don't see the improvement he brings over Murton or Fuld worth giving up good pitching and $13 million per. Baseball Prospectus projects Murton at roughly .295/.356/.454 for 2008 (projections are stale, as they haven't factored this year's results) and Matsui at .291/.383/.487, but with worse defense. This translates to a projected WARP of 3.7 for Murton vs. 3.3 for Matsui (incidentally, the guy I really want, Matt Kemp, is projected to be around 5 WARP for the next few years, which I actually think is low for Kemp). Baseball Prospectus's projections have obviously been off before, but I think that the projections on average have been pretty good as far as projections go.

Also, I think this whole notion of getting a lefty bat is overblown. Murton hits righties well enough, and has always and will continue to hit at least 700 OPS against righties--in 2006, the closest he's had to a full season, he hit 782 OPS against righties. I wouldn't be surprised if with consistent playing time, you'll see him hit right around 800 OPS vs righties going forward.
    Last edited by Scartissue; 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
      He has a full no-trade, so he'd have to waive it. There's no reason to believe he'd want to come to Chicago--I suspect most Japanese players don't. They usually prefer the Yankees or a west coast team.

Overall, he's a good player, but he's past his prime and will only get worse. His defense is horrible, which further takes away some of his value. $13 million for his declining skills is a lot to pay. Plus, you'd have to give up decent talent for him. My guess is that Yankees would probably want at least a very good bullpen arm--maybe Howry or Marmol.

I just don't see the improvement he brings over Murton or Fuld worth giving up good pitching and $13 million per. Baseball Prospectus projects Murton at roughly .295/.356/.454 for 2008 (projections are stale, as they haven't factored this year's results) and Matsui at .291/.383/.487, but with worse defense. This translates to a projected WARP of 3.7 for Murton vs. 3.3 for Matsui (incidentally, the guy I really want, Matt Kemp, is projected to be around 5 WARP for the next few years, which I actually think is low for Kemp). Baseball Prospectus's projections have obviously been off before, but I think that the projections on average have been pretty good as far as projections go.

Also, I think this whole notion of getting a lefty bat is overblown. Murton hits righties well enough, and has always and will continue to hit at least 700 OPS against righties--in 2006, the closest he's had to a full season, he hit 782 OPS against righties. I wouldn't be surprised if with consistent playing time, you'll see him hit right around 800 OPS vs righties going forward.
      I wish Hendry and Piniella felt that way too. I think we'd be foolish to dump a guy like Murton. Sacrilege it may be, but I'd sooner look to replace Pie.
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Santana too much $

It's too bad Santana wants so much money. 20mil a year for 7 years? A lot of dough but considering pitching could be called 75% of the game, isn't he worth it? Petit apparently doesn't think so. Wonder how much Clemens will want now that he's on the Mitchell report

Comment

I'm wondering if Clemens is even coming back next year.
          Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X