Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Prior

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mark Prior

    Just wanted to vent about Prior. Just maybe he may google his name and come across this post and read it. Mark, you are in my opinion everything that is wrong in professional sports. You only care about the money. You have no loyalty and I hope that you never pitch again in the Majors. The fact that you would not sign a deal with the Cubs for an option for 2009 only speaks to how self centered you are. For the last 3 years the Cubs have paid you over ten million dollars for nothing. Now you sit back and pout about the fact that the Cubs cut you multimillion dollar salary by a few hundred thousand dollars. You are upset with the Cubs franchise because they talked a few years ago about trading you. The Cubs gave you a 5 million dollar signing bonus when you intially signed but, now you turn you back on the Cubs. For the last four years the Cubs have coddled you whiny ass, now you want out. You are a piece of crap.

    Now that I got that off my chest, Please feel free to continue the I hate Mark Prior post.

    Comments.

  • #2
    I don't hate Mark Prior. I want him to stay with the Cubs because I believe he will be great again.

    Comment


    • #3
      He may have made millions, but he also saved the Cubs millions. The season he had in 2003 alone would have been worth $10 to $11 million in 2003 market prices (e.g. Pettite was paid $11 million that year) had he been a full free agent, and the Cubs paid him $10.5 million for the entire five years between 2002 to 2006.

      I'm not going to make him out to be a great guy, but he's no worse than most players either.
      To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
        He may have made millions, but he also saved the Cubs millions. The season he had in 2003 alone would have been worth $10 to $11 million in 2003 market prices (e.g. Pettite was paid $11 million that year) had he been a full free agent, and the Cubs paid him $10.5 million for the entire five years between 2002 to 2006.

        I'm not going to make him out to be a great guy, but he's no worse than most players either.
        Full Market Price only counts for someone that is a free agent. 2002 Prior was a rookie and got a 5 mil dollar signing bonus. I would love to keep him, but the fact that he isn't willing to give the Cubs one more year under contract is what gets under my skin. Saying that Prior deserved to be paid 11 mill in 2003 is like saying we should pay Hill that much this year. The whole reason for free agency is to reward player for consistent performance and longevity. He made over 3 million dollars last year to rehab. He is owed 3 mill for this year, to finish his rehab and then walk.

        Comment


        • #5
          He made up for the money he saved the Cubs in 2003 by taking all the money since while giving little in return. I lost my patience with Prior a long time ago. It would be different if I felt like he cared about the fans and baseball. He only seems to care about his bank account.
          Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think he feels slighted by missing the team in favor of Wade Miller this past season. Mind you, I think it's better that it worked out this way, simply because having him leave the AAA roster due to injury didn't look nearly as bad to Cubs fans as it would have had he been leaving the 25-man instead.
            Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

            Comment


            • #7
              Every contract the Cubs gave to Mark they gave to him because that was the least amount they could get away with. The Cubs didn't go up to Mark Prior and say "We want to give you 100 million dollars, what do you think about that?" The Cubs didn't give out any "loyalty" bonuses so why is Mark Prior supposed to give out hometown discounts? If the Cubs hadn't paid Mark Prior then somebody else would have. The Cubs didn't do Mark Prior any favors, this wasn't some homeless kid out on the street that the Cubs picked up, taught and nurtured and then gave him a shot. This was a highly skilled and developed player that was in tremendous demand, every contract they gave to him they gave to him because they had to to keep him and it was the lowest possible offer they felt they could get away with.

              No owner sits there and makes up numbers and thinks I'm going to give this player as much money as possible. Every team every employer views payroll as how little can I pay these people and still keep them.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree with Ubiquitous, it's a business, and the Cubs can play hardball too. When have they paid above market because they love someone personally? The only time a team really does that is if they think a player is a "fan favorite", and that player contributes beyond the play on the field. Mr. Personality Mark Prior is not in that category. He doesn't particularly want to play here obviously, so he is going to refuse the Cubs offers and move on.

                It's too bad Prior didn't work out. I remember a scout saying around draft time that he has seen only 2 absolute can't miss prospects in the last 15 years coming into the draft; A-Rod, and Mark Prior. Everyone raved about his mechanics, and how his delivery put the minimum stress on his arm. It's a shame really.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cpomeroy View Post
                  Just wanted to vent about Prior. Just maybe he may google his name and come across this post and read it. Mark, you are in my opinion everything that is wrong in professional sports. You only care about the money. You have no loyalty and I hope that you never pitch again in the Majors. The fact that you would not sign a deal with the Cubs for an option for 2009 only speaks to how self centered you are. For the last 3 years the Cubs have paid you over ten million dollars for nothing. Now you sit back and pout about the fact that the Cubs cut you multimillion dollar salary by a few hundred thousand dollars. You are upset with the Cubs franchise because they talked a few years ago about trading you. The Cubs gave you a 5 million dollar signing bonus when you intially signed but, now you turn you back on the Cubs. For the last four years the Cubs have coddled you whiny ass, now you want out. You are a piece of crap.

                  Now that I got that off my chest, Please feel free to continue the I hate Mark Prior post.

                  Comments.
                  Hindsight being 20/20, the Twins really lucked out when Prior told them he wouldn't sign with them and they got Mauer instead. I am fairly neutral about Prior, but I hate it when high school or college kids "refuse" to be drafted by a team that isn't ritzy enough for them and their precious talents. It makes a mockery of the whole point of the draft.

                  Solution: cut the signing bonuses down to next to nothing, and tell them to be grateful.
                  :cap:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Silver Blaze View Post
                    Hindsight being 20/20, the Twins really lucked out when Prior told them he wouldn't sign with them and they got Mauer instead. I am fairly neutral about Prior, but I hate it when high school or college kids "refuse" to be drafted by a team that isn't ritzy enough for them and their precious talents. It makes a mockery of the whole point of the draft.

                    Solution: cut the signing bonuses down to next to nothing, and tell them to be grateful.
                    Prior didn't tell them not to draft him, but Mark and his agent let it be known of their MLB contract demands. In any light, the Twins were going to make Mauer their pick for money reasons, as Joe was not asking for a MLB deal and for the hometown connection. Plus a first round defensively skilled catcher who has a bat comes around in a blue moon.
                    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                    Line Drive: .356
                    HBP: .342
                    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                    Intentional Walk: .176
                    Outfield Fly: .035
                    Groundball: -.101
                    Bunts: -.103
                    Infield Fly: -.243
                    Strikeout: -.287
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's official.

                      Prior set to become free agent after Cubs sever ties

                      CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs have declined to offer a 2008 contract to former star right-hander Mark Prior. He becomes a free agent.

                      Prior had arthrosopic surgery on his right shoulder in April and missed the 2007 season.

                      He'd been ticketed for the minors after a spring training in which he was limited because of shoulder problems. In 2006, he made only nine appearances.

                      Prior is 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA in the majors. He made $3,575,000 last season.

                      Prior finished third in NL Cy Young Award voting in 2003, when he 18-6 with a 4.24 ERA and struck out 245 in 211 1/3 innings.

                      http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3152880
                      What team will pick him up?
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There will be alot of teams wanting this man's service. I honestly hate to see this. He's going to come back and be dominant. So we couldn't throw him a few million to see what happens? I guess Mark could have told Hendry he doesn't want to be here past 08', so who knows.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                          There will be alot of teams wanting this man's service. I honestly hate to see this. He's going to come back and be dominant. So we couldn't throw him a few million to see what happens? I guess Mark could have told Hendry he doesn't want to be here past 08', so who knows.
                          he wont come back as the same pitcher. Its not like tommy john surgery where you are back as good as ever. Its even money that he would be back in any significant role next year anyways.

                          and 2009 may even be a bit optimistic to expect much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Rumor is there are 9 teams currently interested in Prior, with Houston, Reds, Rangers, and Phillies some of the possible teams in that mix.
                            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Go Rangers! Get him out of the division.
                              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X