Cubs sign Fukudome, 4 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cubmanjay View Post
    Great to have him in Chicago. I have to laugh they are bringing him out to Chitown next week. "Welcome to Chicago Fukudome, bring a jacket and dress warm!"

CHICAGO (TICKER) -
    "On behalf of the entire Cubs organization, we're honored Kosuke Fukudome has chosen to become a member of the Chicago Cubs and very excited to introduce him to our great fans," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "We are looking forward to welcoming him to Chicago next week and helping make Wrigley Field his home."
    I think it gets pretty cold in Japan. It isn't San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
      also... a good comparsion would be Hideki Matsui's rookie year... it's basically what Bob projected too numbers-wise. this is what I'm hoping he will do in 2008 (with maybe a higher OBP), which will be great for the 5th spot as for A Ram will see some more pitches.

does anybody know about his baserunning or stealing ability? Like how many SB he could have? I don't know how he is in that really. I can't find much on that for him.

So our lineup is like this... (as I would put it at least and keeping Soriano at leadoff is against my thinking but it's his most comfortable spot)

Soriano
      DeRosa (i could also see Fukudome batting here also... giving Lee and A Ram a great on base player)
      Lee
      A Ram
      Fukudome
      Soto
      Theriot
      Pie
      Pitcher

Overall I like the lineup. It would be a lot better if we had another solid dependable hitter at SS instead of Theriot then you just have 2 hitters where they might be below average instead of 3 (Pie and Soto- anybody got a projection on Soto for '08?? Bob??) but the offense and pitching can make up for that. The last half kinda drops off a bit, but there's not as much pressure for them as last year to perform really well so I'm hoping they will do better (mostly towards Pie).
      Apparently the Cubs are really high on Sam Fuld, based on his AFL performance. Also, there is the chance of getting Roberts from the Orioles, which would mean perhaps De Rosa could play short or be a super sub.

Has anybody heard anything new on the possibility of a trade with the Orioles?

Comment

Originally posted by Lprof View Post
        Apparently the Cubs are really high on Sam Fuld, based on his AFL performance. Also, there is the chance of getting Roberts from the Orioles, which would mean perhaps De Rosa could play short or be a super sub.
        There's no place for Fuld except as a sub, unless the Cubs give up on Pie. I'd play Cedeno at SS before DeRosa. Cedeno is good defensively, and if his major league production ever came close to what he did in the minors, we'd really have something. I'd give the kid one more solid shot. Minimum, he'd play good defense and provide more pop with the bat than Theriot.
        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
          There's no place for Fuld except as a sub, unless the Cubs give up on Pie. I'd play Cedeno at SS before DeRosa. Cedeno is good defensively, and if his major league production ever came close to what he did in the minors, we'd really have something. I'd give the kid one more solid shot. Minimum, he'd play good defense and provide more pop with the bat than Theriot.
          I have yet to see anything from him on the ML level that suggests that any of that pop in his AAA bat is going to transfer. I try my hardest to get excited about Cedeno every year, and every year he makes another middle of the road infielder look amazing by comparison. I am perfectly content for us to pull the plug on that failed experiment and get whatever we can for him.

Once again, it's really too bad Murton can't play SS. Dropping another .295/.350 bat in the back end of the lineup would be great.
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I hope this helps you guys out, but I still feel you need quality pitching to win, and help to break the documented Billy Goat curse (for those who believe in it, however, it is mentioned true sincerity must be shown to goats to break the curse). I want you guys to go all the way sometime, so I hope this helps you out. I'll be looking forward to see how Fukudome does. Sorry if I'm rubbing it in, but keep in mind, one of these days you will win a world series, and possibly have the biggest celebration a major league team could have. While I'm a Sox fan, I want to live to see that day.

Comment

he will hopefully help the cubs

im excited to see him on the '08 roster
              i believe in the cubs

Comment

Jim Callis of Baseball America wrote the following:

The departures of Ichiro Suzuki and Hideki Matsui meant that Fukudome was the best all-around player remaining in Japan. While he doesn't have the same power as Matsui, he's a comparable player and has better all-around tools. The 2006 Central League MVP and two-time batting champ has a strong arm and runs well enough to play center field in a pinch, though he profiles best as a right fielder who hits for average, draws walks and occasionally drives the ball out of the park with a smooth lefthanded swing. The Cubs will play him in right and bat him near the top of the order, perhaps even in the leadoff spot.

The biggest concern about Fukudome is his durability. He missed the second half of the 2007 season with bone chips in his throwing elbow and has been bothered by other minor injuries in recent years. Fukudome played third base as a teenager on Japan's silver-medal winning 1996 Olympic team before taking his speed to the outfield. He has plenty of experience on the international stage. He also played for Japan's 2004 Olympic team and was one of the stars of Japan's World Baseball Classic squad, hitting a pinch-hit, two-run home run in the semifinals against Korea and a key two-run single against Cuba in the championship game.

Had Fukudome signed in time to make our Cubs list, I would have ranked him No. 1 ahead of Josh Vitters. I think Vitters, the third overall pick in the 2007 draft, has a higher ceiling but Fukudome has starred at the highest level of baseball outside of Major League Baseball. I think he's a near lock to be a solid regular for the Cubs, though I don't see him becoming a star, reiterating the Hideki Matsui comp from our scouting report. Combining his ceiling and his likelihood of reaching it, I'll probably put Fukudome in the 21-30 range on my personal Top 100 list.

His arrival has to make Colvin or Pie expendable, because with Fukudome and Alfonso Soriano signed for another 11 years and $167 million between them, there's only one outfield opening available. It's also possible that if Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez remain productive and in Chicago, Vitters could head to the outfield as well. Sam Fuld's stock is soaring after a strong Arizona Fall League performance, so he gives the Cubs another outfield option (though I view him as more of a fourth outfielder than a regular).

One last thing: While Fukudome didn't push anyone out of our Cubs Top 30 in the Handbook, Chicago did acquire righthanders Jose Ascanio and Tim Lahey in December. That knocked outfielder Josh Kroeger and third baseman Kyle Reynolds out of the book, though we'll present their scouting reports in our annual online look at what we call The 31st Team—all the reports that didn't quite make it into the Handbook.
                To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Welcome Kosuke Fukudome to the Windy City!
                  Photobucket
                  Photobucket

Comment

You guys got a great player and have a really good team setting up:

C: Soto
                    1B: D-Lee
                    2B: Maybe Bedard, if so he's a freak.
                    3B: A-Ram
                    SS: Doesn't Matter as long as he can field well, you should trade for John MacDonald
                    LF: Soriano
                    CF: Pie
                    RF: Fukudome
                    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

You guys got a great player and have a really good team setting up:

C: Soto
                      1B: D-Lee
                      2B: Maybe Roberts, if so he's a freak.
                      3B: A-Ram
                      SS: Doesn't Matter as long as he can field well, you should trade for John MacDonald
                      LF: Soriano
                      CF: Pie
                      RF: Fukudome

Hell, with this offense I may pick the Cubs to represent the NL in the WS next season.
                      Last edited by ChrisLDuncan; 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM.
                      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Bedard is a pitcher. I think you meant Roberts at 2B.

Comment

I'm personally happy to have him here. I think that no matter what he'll at least be a solid player (well, injury could always be an issue, but barring injury) for the team. From what I have read about him he has the things that would prevent him from being a complete bust at least (great discipline at the plate, bat control, some pop). Anyway, if he doesn't work out at least we have Pagan.....oh wait...I guess Daryle Ward could always fill in, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X