Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Cubs stopped where they are now, would you be satisfied?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Cubs stopped where they are now, would you be satisfied?

If the Cubs made no other moves this offseason, would you be satisfied?
    Yes--we will be a better team than last year, so we'll have a fighting chance to win it all.
    23.53%
    Yes--there doesn't look to be good moves left out there.
    23.53%
    No--We were lucky to get in last year, and we didn't improve enough.
    52.94%
    No--Overall, we're a worse team than last year.
    0.00%
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
    If the Cubs made no other moves this offseason, would you be satisfied?
    i voted option 3, though i wouldnt be entirely dissatisfied. I think we are better, but i think there is still some tinkering that could be done

Comment

I also voted for the third options for pretty much the same reasons.

Comment

I voted three, but the success of this offseason really does lie in the success of Kosuke. Even then, I'd say the Cubs' #1 and #2 needs this offseason were a centerfielder and a middle infielder. Ideally, they needed to add a big left-handed bat and some patience at the plate. The Cubs really only have a bunch of utility players (DeRosa, Theriot, Fontenot, and Cedeno) and no real, significant middle infielder. The centerfield situation is dicey as Felix is going to be the starter and I really don't think he's going to pan out.

Kosuke might actually give hte Cubs exactly what they were looking for, a strong OBP threat from the left-side. I don't think he has the power to be the big left-handed bat they needed (I project anywhere from 10-20 homeruns this season, considering Hideki Matsui went from 50 to 16 in his first year here with the short porch in Yankee Stadium as well) but the patience really will help. This move was seemingly negated by losing Jones, the Cubs' previous left-handed threat to the Tigers. Other than that, offensively, they've added nothing to an already weak lineup. I suspect that Matt Murton might have been able to give similar production as Kosuke at a much cheaper price (and from the right side) and really needs to play.

The bullpen really did not get significantly stronger and neither did hte rotation. I expect Zambrano to rebound a bit but I realistically don't expect much from the back end of the rotation.

Overall, I think that the Brewers added much more to their team and considering that the Brewers are likely to get better with age, the Brewers might be the team to beat (and they will be beaten, mercilessly in the playoffs).

Comment

There really isn't much more the Cubs can do.

The bullpen was solid last year and the relievers are not exactly of the Jeff Fassero age out there so we should expect the pen to be solid again.

The rotation looks to be as solid as any team can expect out of a rotation. Zambrano, Hill, and Lilly. Sure the back is weak but everybodies back is weak, at least this time around the Cubs have some arms available that they know about at the major league level.

The concern for this team was always hitting, so did it improve? I think a healthy Soriano is an improvement, I think a simple bounce back from the strange power outage experienced by the Cubs should be expected.. After that you have C, SS, and CF. At some point you have to let Pie play to see what you got and I think he is good enough defensively that he won't be a blackhole overall in center. Soto could be a major flop and if he is then the catcher spot is going to be a major offensive flop. I think SS production is going to be about the same as we have gotten recently, okay not that bad but close to it.

I think if the teams stays relatively healthy and Soto does decently they should score high 700's or very low 800's. I think the pitching will be very low 700's or high 600's. A 90+ game winner for the Northsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
            I think if the teams stays relatively healthy and Soto does decently they should score high 700's or very low 800's. I think the pitching will be very low 700's or high 600's. A 90+ game winner for the Northsiders.
            I think something that you, or others might be forgetting, is there are other teams in the NL Central... It is only fair that we have to look at how they upgraded over the off season as well.
            BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by RBi View Post
              I think something that you, or others might be forgetting, is there are other teams in the NL Central... It is only fair that we have to look at how they upgraded over the off season as well.
              I did,

Houston picked up Tejada, have no rotation
              Cards are a mess
              Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh
              The Reds got a reliever and Dusty Baker
              Brewers picked up Kendall and Gagne.

The only other team that should be good is Milwaukee and I expect them to win 90+ games as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                I did,

Houston picked up Tejada, have no rotation
                Cards are a mess
                Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh
                The Reds got a reliever and Dusty Baker
                Brewers picked up Kendall and Gagne.

The only other team that should be good is Milwaukee and I expect them to win 90+ games as well.
                Yeah Milwaukee is the only team that scares me in our division at all. They cooled down at the end of the season last year but I don't think we'll be so lucky this season. We need to win

Comment

Certainly the Gagne signing sends the message from Milwaukee that they are gearing up to win next year. They lost Cordero and Linebrink, but they did get Mota, Riske, Gagne, worked aggressively to plug those holes. I think the Brewers rotation will improve, they have some young arms, Sheets might be healthier, and they won't suffer through the collapse of Capuano again.

Their rotation figures to be: Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Bush, and Villanueva, or Vargas, or Manny Parra, or Capuano if he figures things out. They have scary depth there.

The lineup figures to be anchored by Braun and Fielder, who I doubt will be worse. The only drop-offs I see are at SS (Hardy played a bit out of his mind), and Catcher. Jenkins isn't much of a loss, they can replace him.

Fear the Brew Crew, cub fans.

Comment

PS, I voted #3, though I agree that I don't see a huge improvement available, barring a major prospect-for-veteran trade. SS is the only position that stands out as begging for improvement, and there are no FA options there that I would consider an improvement.

We are probably as "set" as we can be going into the season pitching-wise. In the bullpen, we really don't even have slots available without trading people.

Only by trading can we get much better at this point

Comment

Projected Roster as it stands today

Subject to change, here is what I see as our roster as it stands:

Rotation: Z, Lilly, Hill, Marquis, Dempster
                      Bullpen: Howry, Wood, Marmol, Eyre, Wuertz, Cotts (if only 11, #12 would probably be Hart today)

Lineup: Soriano, DeRosa, Lee, A-Ram, K-Fuk, Soto, Pie, Theriot

Bench: Ward, Fuld, Murton, Cedeno, Fontenot, Blanco (if you had to drop one to carry 12 pitchers, probably Fontenot)

Others who could easily figure in mix, or become starters:

Hart, Gallagher, Petrick, E-Pat.

Of course, I am sure this will change, I am just saying if we started season TODAY.

PS, of all of these, not many have minor-league options remaining, (Pie, Theriot, Hill, Marmol, Soto, I think Cotts, Fontenot), so alot of this is set. Of those that I mentioned, I can't see a scenario where Hill, Marmol, or Theriot would be sent down.

Comment

There is still work to be done. Replacing Jones with Fukudome will help OBP and defense should be solid. The Cubs should keep working on Brian Roberts (I think we should ask for Bedard too) and look into Joe Nathan (proven closing talent). With Roberts our bench and utility (DeRosa, Theriot, Fontenot, and Cedeno) will be solid and that's what makes winners.

Comment

Not a Cubs fan but I love to watch them play and they are a team I like to keep up on. I think they could use a 5th starter.
                          Quest for 27
                          Winners make goals, losers make excuses.

Comment

I would feel good going into the season the way we are right now. I think we are good enought to win the Division, but not sure much more beyond that. I think if we could still get Roberts, we would have a good shot in the playoffs. We still need a bonified leadoff hitter and there is no doubt that he could be that guy. Here would be my lineup if we do get him.

Roberts 2b
                            Fukudome RF
                            Soriano LF
                            Ramirez 3b
                            Lee 1b
                            Soto c
                            Pie CF
                            Theriot ss

If Pie doen't prove he can hit after the first month, I would move Fukudome to CF and put Derosa in right. Despite what everyone says, I think our pitching will hold its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                              Subject to change, here is what I see as our roster as it stands:

Rotation: Z, Lilly, Hill, Marquis, Dempster
                              Bullpen: Howry, Wood, Marmol, Eyre, Wuertz, Cotts (if only 11, #12 would probably be Hart today)

Lineup: Soriano, DeRosa, Lee, A-Ram, K-Fuk, Soto, Pie, Theriot

Bench: Ward, Fuld, Murton, Cedeno, Fontenot, Blanco (if you had to drop one to carry 12 pitchers, probably Fontenot)

Others who could easily figure in mix, or become starters:

Hart, Gallagher, Petrick, E-Pat.

Of course, I am sure this will change, I am just saying if we started season TODAY.

PS, of all of these, not many have minor-league options remaining, (Pie, Theriot, Hill, Marmol, Soto, I think Cotts, Fontenot), so alot of this is set. Of those that I mentioned, I can't see a scenario where Hill, Marmol, or Theriot would be sent down.
                              How could you come to the conclusion that Cotts should be on the roster over Marshall?
                              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X