Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eyre tests positive but has MLB's OK

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eyre tests positive but has MLB's OK

    We talked about this at the time of Eyre's signing. Eyre has attention deficit disorder (ADD) and takes Ritalin, which contains newly banned amphetamines to contain the disorder. He tested positive, but isn't worried because he has a doctor's note. : Here's a link to the article

    You might need to register there to see the full article, so I'll just put it here too.

    By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter

    February 20, 2006


    MESA, Ariz. -- Cubs reliever Scott Eyre took his mandatory drug test on Monday, knowing the test would turn out positive for a banned substance.

    But Eyre, who suffers from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), is one of several major-league players who will be able to get around the rule against amphetamine use because he has a prescription for Ritalin.

    "I have an official doctor's note," Eyre said. "I don't take it for baseball purposes. I take it to lead a healthier and better life."

    Several other players who reportedly use the drug, including Adam LaRoche, Noah Lowry and Dustan Mohr, will have to get permission from Major League Baseball to take Ritalin. All must turn in the proper paperwork to ensure they aren't lumped in with other users of stimulants.

    This is the first year amphetamines are banned under a stricter MLB drug policy enacted during the off-season because of the outcry over steroid abuse.

    Eyre credits Ritalin with turning his career around. He has been taking the drug since 2002 and said it helps him focus. He wasn't concerned that the banning of amphetamines would force him to stop using the drug.

    "It's something to treat a life issue I have," he said. "There's no way they could tell me I couldn't take it. If they did, I'd be suing somebody. It is a stimulant, but it doesn't make me hyper. It calms me down. That would be defeating the purpose of the amphetamine."
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

  • #2
    it's always sorta baffled me how an amphetamine is capable of having a calming effect on a person. just one of those counter-intuitive things i guess...like a strike out being meanigful outcome for a pitcher and generally meaningless one for a hitter.
    RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

    AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

    Angel of Death
    Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
    Infamous butcher,
    Angel of Death

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea that stuff really works too. I have a younger brother on that stuff. I hope Eyre stays focused this year and turns our bullpen around.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

      "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

      Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ravenlord
        it's always sorta baffled me how an amphetamine is capable of having a calming effect on a person. just one of those counter-intuitive things i guess...like a strike out being meanigful outcome for a pitcher and generally meaningless one for a hitter.
        I take it and it generally has a positive effect on me. Caffeine generally does the same thing to people with ADD--instead of stimulating them, it calms them. Just an FYI.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pesky6
          I take it and it generally has a positive effect on me. Caffeine generally does the same thing to people with ADD--instead of stimulating them, it calms them. Just an FYI.
          Good to know. My oldest daughter has ADD. She is also alergic to milk and for that she is taking some pills and having a diet. Because of these pills she is not allowed to use cafeine, (cola). But within one year and a half she can probably stop with the diet. Maybe a cup of coffee will benefit her.

          Thanks!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yep I have a daughter also who has ADHD, and she doesn't take Ritalin but Concerta which works great. I was told once to have her drink a cup of coffee and see if it has any effects on her, this was before she was on the meds, but yep it did some good besides the grimaces on her face from the taste, it calmed her down.

            I forgot Eyre has ADHD, gonna have to tell my daughter, it might interest her.

            Wonder how he would pitch without it? He wouldn't be able to concentrate on the which batter he is facing let alone pick a pitch.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CultofCubs
              Wonder how he would pitch without it? He wouldn't be able to concentrate on the which batter he is facing let alone pick a pitch.
              check his early stats with the white sox and you'll see...he wasn't diagnosed with it until he was 30, at which time he had been in the majors for 5 years and pitched with the sox and blue jays...he had an ERA of 5.66 over 4 years with the sox and a 4.67 ERA over 1+2/3 years with the blue jays...since he joined the giants and has been on medication for it he has an ERA of 3.18

              some good eyre stats-has been among best escape artists in baseball, leading all active big league hurlers by stranding 81.5% of inherited runners (211-of-259) since 2002
              -has established franchise single-season record for southpaw pitchers each of last 2 seasons, including career-high 86 outings in 2005...both years are among top 10 single-season workloads by lefty in ML history
              -Worked out of Giants bullpen in their last 2 post season appearances, 2002 and 2003...has appeared in 11 playoff games over those 2 Octobers, yielding just 1 unearned run over 6.1 innings while stranding all 4 inherited runners...worked in 10 of SF's 17 games in 2002 post season, earning hold in Game 1 of NLDS at Atlanta before pitching in 4 NLCS games and 3 World Series contests...made just 1 outing in 2003 playoffs, retiring only batter faced (Juan Pierre) in NLDS Game 3 at Florida...in fact, southpaw specialist has held left-handed hitters to .200 playoff avg. (3-for-15) with no extra-base hits, no walks and 2 strikeouts

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by redwhitenblue
                check his early stats with the white sox and you'll see...he wasn't diagnosed with it until he was 30, at which time he had been in the majors for 5 years and pitched with the sox and blue jays...he had an ERA of 5.66 over 4 years with the sox and a 4.67 ERA over 1+2/3 years with the blue jays...since he joined the giants and has been on medication for it he has an ERA of 3.18

                some good eyre stats-has been among best escape artists in baseball, leading all active big league hurlers by stranding 81.5% of inherited runners (211-of-259) since 2002
                -has established franchise single-season record for southpaw pitchers each of last 2 seasons, including career-high 86 outings in 2005...both years are among top 10 single-season workloads by lefty in ML history
                -Worked out of Giants bullpen in their last 2 post season appearances, 2002 and 2003...has appeared in 11 playoff games over those 2 Octobers, yielding just 1 unearned run over 6.1 innings while stranding all 4 inherited runners...worked in 10 of SF's 17 games in 2002 post season, earning hold in Game 1 of NLDS at Atlanta before pitching in 4 NLCS games and 3 World Series contests...made just 1 outing in 2003 playoffs, retiring only batter faced (Juan Pierre) in NLDS Game 3 at Florida...in fact, southpaw specialist has held left-handed hitters to .200 playoff avg. (3-for-15) with no extra-base hits, no walks and 2 strikeouts
                I didn't know any of that, thanks for the info. The 'post-diagnosis' stat makes me feel more confident in his ability, and it's a true testament to what medicine can do.
                A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X