Former Cub Gossage elected into HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Cub Gossage elected into HOF

Ok, I'm really reaching here--Gossage only pitched 1 year (43.7 innings) for the Cubs over a 23 year career, and it was one of his worst years. Slow Cubs news day.

Unless Santos gets voted in by the veteran's committee, I don't think there will be a true Cubs player inducted into the hall until after Maddux hangs them up. If I'm not mistaken, Santos is the only player that played the majority of his career as a Cub (he played 1 year for the White Sox) and still has a shot at the hall. Maddux has already spent more time elsewhere than with the Cubs.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
    Unless Santos gets voted in by the veteran's committee, I don't think there will be a true Cubs player inducted into the hall until after Maddux hangs them up. If I'm not mistaken, Santos is the only player that played the majority of his career as a Cub (he played 1 year for the White Sox) and still has a shot at the hall. Maddux has already spent more time elsewhere than with the Cubs.
    well besides Sosa being another... at least he spent the most time with the Cubs that has a shot of the HoF...

yeah but again... not that many players nowadays gonna play for one team their whole career with the $$$ from FA.....
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
      well besides Sosa being another... at least he spent the most time with the Cubs that has a shot of the HoF...
      Sosa's numbers alone might have been good enough to get him in. However, McGwire's poor showing doesn't bode well for Sammy. On the other hand, more people are willing to give Sammy the benefit of the doubt than McGwire because McGwire was more evasive at the congressional hearing. It will be interesting when Sosa and Bonds come up. Although Bonds undeniably took steroids, he would have been a HOF even without steroids.
      To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind, by the time Sosa is eligible, the steroids controversies will likely have blown over to some extent.

Comment

Shawon Dunston got 1 vote

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
            Sosa's numbers alone might have been good enough to get him in. However, McGwire's poor showing doesn't bode well for Sammy. On the other hand, more people are willing to give Sammy the benefit of the doubt than McGwire because McGwire was more evasive at the congressional hearing. It will be interesting when Sosa and Bonds come up. Although Bonds undeniably took steroids, he would have been a HOF even without steroids.
            The writers took out their frustration of performance enhancers and lack of answers on their first target and that was Mac. Sure Mac didn't talk about his usage but Sosa didn't win any fans by having a translator present for his congressional questioning. There are plenty of Sosa detractors who will say Sammy's only reason for coming back was due to him reaching the 600 HR mark and for him to take pressure off his possible PED usage. Hopefully, with time (five more years or so) this whole controversy has blown over for the most part.

I do find it quite possibly odd that our game's homerun leader, Bonds, and our game's hit leader, Rose, could quite frankly never reach the Hall of Fame for the sport that they popularized. They could be joined by a whole generation of players that set records and we idolized as players (ie. Palmerio, McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, Pettitte, etc).
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X