Looking at the Competition: NL Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at the Competition: NL Central

Two moves recently among our competition caught my attention. One from a team I fear, one I don't. I wanted to start a thread on what the other guys are doing, because the moves of our competitors, as much as our own, can determine where we finish. Utlimately, we weren't really all that great last year, we won the division because the NL Central was very weak.

The Cameron acquisition tells me, yet again, the Brewers think they can win this year. He and Gagne are short-term signings. Cameron (once he is back from suspension, that is), makes the Brew Crew somewhat better offensively, and way better defensively, at more than one position. I am seriously worried about the Brew Crew, their 2 big hitters plus all that young pitching depth.

The other interesting move was Rolen for Glaus. I like Glaus more than Rolen at this point, so probably a good move for the Cards, who also get rid of a longer contract. But the Cards are a mess. Cesar Isturis is going to get first crack to start (!), and 2B is Brendan Ryan, Aaron Miles, or Aaron Kennedy (Wow). A prospect or Ankiel in CF, Duncan, and I am not sure who else out there as well. Outside of Puhols, noone is scary.

I don't think Glaus for Rolen is going to accomplish much. Glaus isn't the hitter he once was and he'll never be the defensive player Rolen was. The only plus he might have is that he might stay in the lineup more often then Rolen, but even that is not guaranteed.

As for the Brewers they could do almost nothing and still be expecting to win 90+ games this year. Adding Cameron is nice in that they are adding a known name but Cameron isn't the same Cameron that once deserved his reputation. I'll think he will do good with the Brewers but he is going to miss 25 games at the start. So this isn't some huge boost like it could have been several years ago.

Comment

Another team that could make noise is the Reds. It always seems the same for them, they will score a bunch of runs, but will they get enough pitching?

They have a pretty good offense already, with more on the way from the farm in Votto and Keppinger. They overpaid for Cordero, but he did plug a gaping hole from them. But I also worry because Dusty might give them an initial bounce, he did for the Cubs and Giants, even if he wore out his welcome. Players like him, and the Reds might respond.

Probably they come up short because the rotation and bullpen are thin at the back, but .500 seems realistic for the Reds, and they might be tough to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
        Another team that could make noise is the Reds. It always seems the same for them, they will score a bunch of runs, but will they get enough pitching?

They have a pretty good offense already, with more on the way from the farm in Votto and Keppinger. They overpaid for Cordero, but he did plug a gaping hole from them. But I also worry because Dusty might give them an initial bounce, he did for the Cubs and Giants, even if he wore out his welcome. Players like him, and the Reds might respond.

Probably they come up short because the rotation and bullpen are thin at the back, but .500 seems realistic for the Reds, and they might be tough to play.
        Reds have some exciting prospects, I can really see them going either way--anywhere between 75 to 88 wins. They are very hard to predict because a number of top prospects will play key roles. Harang and Arroyo make up a pretty solid 1-2 punch by NL standards. I think a lot will depend on how Bailey does. He has very high expectations, and if he comes close to those expectations, then the Reds will have a solid rotation. In addition to Votto, Jay Bruce is expected to make the roster this year. Bruce won player of the year honors this year (some past winners--Doc Gooden, Tom Gordon, Sandy Alomar, Frank Thomas, Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter, Andruw Jones, Paul Konerko, Eric Chavez, Josh Beckett and Joe Mauer).
        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

I am a Braves fan, but I have to say that I constantly find myself pulling for the Cubs (except when they play the Braves of course!). But I hope they do do well in their division.
          "I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me, a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown." -Hank Aaron

Comment

For the central division I don't see a whole lot of competition. Yeah, I am a bit worried about the Brewers, but Gagne hasn't been the same since his multiple stints on the DL, so you know that he'll give up a few games for them, at least early in the season before they stop putting him out there. Also, their collapse from last year is something that I'm looking at as having a strong effect on how they'll play this year. I don't know if it will be positive or negative, but I think it will mean something, more likely negative.

The Cardinals do not look tough at all this year (although in 2005 I had said that I thought they were going downhill, but this time there's a lot more to back it up). They lost Rolen, Edmonds, Eckstein, and Taguchi this past offseason, and the best they got back was Glaus, who hasn't been able to stay healthy for any extended period in quite some time. Their starting rotation also looks rather weak this season.

As for the Cincinatti Reds, I always take that team seriously, because they always seem to have some good young talent. I remember at the start of 2003 when they had Kearns, Dunn, and Casey, who were billed as a good trio, although, if I remember right, Kearns didn't wind up playing much that year (and got rocked by The Farns). On top of that they had Jason LaRue, Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr, and Jose Guillen. There is no reason that the team there shouldn't have had at least 80 wins, but they fell something like 11 or 12 short (their pitching really let them down, but with that offense, how much pitching do you need?). Basically, without further rambling, my point is that no matter who Cincinatti has you can't count on them to win. Sure, one of these years they may prove that thinking wrong, but I have no reason to believe that this will be the year.

I don't think I'll be scolded or anything for not being afraid of Pittsburgh this year.

The Astros did pick up Tejada and Kaz Matsui, but they also lost Craig Biggio, who was still a solid player and a great clubhouse leader. In the last few years they've lost both Biggio and Bagwell, which has really taken a lot out of that team. They still have Lance Berkman, but he really wasn't there before 1999, so it's not like he was one of the long time Killer B's. Brad Ausmus is still there too, but his defense is nothing better than solid anymore and his offense isn't anything to talk about. Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence, and Roy Oswalt, to me are the scariest parts of that team. Tejada is a question mark since his numbers have been gradually falling year after year. They have a team with some weapons, but still not a team that really says contender.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X