X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs welcome Lieber back

Signed a one-year contract:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7...0813162&ATT=49
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

I actually like this signing. I hope this preceeds us getting rid of Marquis.

Comment

In terms of years and money this is no big deal. It is like the Wade Miller deal last year. But if the Cubs do something stupid and trade a youngster away because of this signing then it is a pretty stupid signing. I seriously doubt Lieber will last the whole season in the rotation or on the roster. It is a nice little no strings attached flier on a maybe decent pitcher but the Cubs shouldn't expect anything out of him and should be quick to pull the trigger on him.

Comment

I will actually be pissed if we trade away young talent for someone, especially Brian Roberts. If he came to Chicago I really believe his numbers would be average.

Comment

I like the Lieber signing, though I don't beleive he is there to allow us to dump Marquis. I think Marquis is better than Lieber at this point; he is younger, and far more durable, and had better numbers than Lieber lately.

I don't love Marquis, he is inning-eating rotation fodder. But you could do worse in the 4 or 5 spot. Look at what other teams roll out there, and Marquis is better than many.

I do think though Hendry may trade Marquis. At his cost, I think he has value on the market.

Comment

50/50

A .516 career winning percentage over 13 years. How do we think that will be better than Marquis with an 8 year career winning percentage of .527? Marquis is 29 while injury-prone Lieber is 37. We can't do what is already done, but like others, I hope we don't trade away young pitching for a stick i.e. Hill or Marshall. I hope whatever we equation we decide to do battle with in 2008, it's a magical potion.
            I Bleed Cubbie Blue

Comment

Here's my two cents.......glad to see Leiber coming back wven though he's older and weakened by injuries. Why? Because he's a smart LHP other teams may not want to think about lurking in our bullpen.....can't see him as a starter any more, though. :twocents:
              Last edited by baseballwise; 01-17-2008, 09:09 PM.
              Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by baseballwise View Post
                Because he's a smart LHP other teams may not want to think about lurking in our bullpen.....
                He hits left handed but throws right handed
                What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                Line Drive: .356
                HBP: .342
                Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                Intentional Walk: .176
                Outfield Fly: .035
                Groundball: -.101
                Bunts: -.103
                Infield Fly: -.243
                Strikeout: -.287
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

OOPS.....but he THINKS left-handed... how about that???
                  Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                    I will actually be pissed if we trade away young talent for someone, especially Brian Roberts. If he came to Chicago I really believe his numbers would be average.

His numbers would increase.

Other than the Brewers at a 4.41 ERA (good for 9th best) every other team (except the Cubs 4.02) in the NLC had a team ERA over 4.65.

ALE had the two lowest team ERA's in the AL in Boston and Toronto (3.87 and 4.00).

WARP1
                    Roberts- 7.1
                    DeRosa- 4.5
                    Theriot- 2.1

Roberts would do an 8.0-8.5 easy in the NLC.

Comment

Last year was Roberts second best season. He has had 3 seasons around 4 and two seasons at 7.1 and 9.4. By no means is Roberts guranteed to have as good of a season as he did last year.

Comment

I definately agree Roberts could be a great addition to the Cubs line-up...meaning a true lead-off man (not since Bobby Denier have we had a consistant one) and he will do great in Chicago...

BUT...I have one problem: what are we going to do with DaRosa...??? I have to admit I have a sentimental regard for DaRosa (we are both Italian) but he also has these EXCELLENT QUALITIES: team player, desire to win, good numbers, consistant career numbers, dependable fielder, versatile fielder...I do not want to take this guy out of the mix....if we get Roberts (which I believe would mean more wins) we need to find a place for DaRosa: look at the fallout:

1B: Lee (solid) 3B: Rameriz (solid) 2B: Roberts (solid) LF: Soriano (solid) RF: Fukedome (supposedly solid)

Then: SS:Theriot (average bat & field for SS); C: Soto (greta prospect but hardle proven) CF: Pie or Fuld (unproven) DaRosa CANNOT fill in daily in any of those spots

What do we do with DaRosa, I think he needs to play everyday..but he would be a pretty unhappy utility man I think....

What do you guys say???

Comment

I like the signing. If he doesn't work out the Cubs do have other options at a late rotation spot. Their depth in their pitching is very nice right now with at least 6 potential starters that I can think of off the top of my head (Z, Lilly, Marquis, Hill, Marshall, Lieber), and there's other guys that can come in from the bullpen in case the injury bug bites like it did in 2006. It never hurts to have as much pitching as possible, and right now the concern is more of who won't make the rotation.

If they do decide to trade someone else away, if they get someone who can come in and be a good player, then I'm not too worried. Brian Roberts would be nice, however, I know that'll reduce Mark DeRosa to a utility role and won't allow him to play every day, and I don't know if he'd be enough of an improvement over DeRosa to make it worth the deal.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X