Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon Byrd for Matt Murton?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnered=rss_tex

You have to be kidding me. What does Marlon Byrd have that we need so bad? This is an extremely bad one in my opinion.

I would say he has two things Murton dosent:

1. the ability to play centerfield (daily or platooning with Pie)

2. the confidence of the manager

Either way, Murton is a fan favorite, and I hate to let him go but he deserves a chance to play and he wont get it in Chicago with Soriano (LF) and Fukedome (RF)

Comment

I really hope this doesn't happen.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Murton but Byrd gives the Cubs a viable option in centerfield in case Pie flops and Fuld/Patterson can't hold their mustard. Byrd would also give Lou another option at leadoff. Byrd much like Murton has the skills to be an everyday player, the two just haven't found the right circumstances for them to do so. This trade would give both another opportunity to each sides.

This deal might not happen as the Rangers are reportedly wanting another player in addition to Murton. If that player can be agreed upon or the differences worked out, this has a much better chance of happening than Roberts or anything else we've looked into this offseason.
        Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 01-21-2008, 08:09 PM.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Now there is talk that Muton may go to San Diego in a package for their SS Greene...its all over the other rumor pages

Comment

Originally posted by josecardenal01 View Post
            Now there is talk that Muton may go to San Diego in a package for their SS Greene...its all over the other rumor pages
            now at least that rumor actually make sense fr the Cubs... I think Greene would be an upgrade over Theriot at SS and then Theriot can be a nice sub/UTIL player on the bench.
            "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
            Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
            Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
            Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
              now at least that rumor actually make sense fr the Cubs... I think Greene would be an upgrade over Theriot at SS and then Theriot can be a nice sub/UTIL player on the bench.
              Greene definately has more pop than Ryan but less of an eye, still Khalil will end up with the much higher OPS with a much better glove. Towers is smart though, he wants Murton but at a cheap young talent wise (he gave up a young power arm for Todd Walker who is now our #4 prospect in Ceda) or parts he doesn't need. Despite Khalil's future free agency, the Padres aren't looking to give up their chance at the NL West title and he gives them the best shot, more so than anyone in house or on the market.
              It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Murton is probably my favorite Cub. I'd hate to see either of these moves happen, and I do not understand for the life in me why Lou doesn't like Murton. But at least the Byrd deal makes sense. Trading away a good OF for another average SS doesn't make a bit of sense to me at all. We already have two of those. Murton is, at a minimum, an insurance policy for Fukudome and a somewhat injury-prone Soriano. Byrd can be that also, but Greene.... just.... no.
                Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by josecardenal01 View Post
                  I could live with that.

Comment

Greene wouldn't be a bad pickup. His defense is controversial. Depending on who you consult, some believe he's a very good defender, while other believe he's below average. Good power out of the SS spot, but doesn't get on base a lot.
                    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Seems a little odd that the Rangers'd acquire yet another outfielder. It's already pretty crowded out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                        Greene wouldn't be a bad pickup. His defense is controversial. Depending on who you consult, some believe he's a very good defender, while other believe he's below average. Good power out of the SS spot, but doesn't get on base a lot.
                        I fail to see how 15 HRs/year makes up for a .250 average and a sub-.300 OBP. Especially when you factor in that, statistically speaking, his defense is worse than Theriot's.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                          I fail to see how 15 HRs/year makes up for a .250 average and a sub-.300 OBP. Especially when you factor in that, statistically speaking, his defense is worse than Theriot's.
                          It's called OPS, On base percentage plus Slugging percentage. Greene's career OBP is lower than Theriot's one single year OBP, but Greene has shown that he can carry a huge power stick and if he gets out of PETCO, it's only going to increase. As for the D, last year the two were identical in FRAA and that was with Greene playing a half season more than Theriot at the SS position. The more Ryan plays SS, the more his weaknesses are going to be exploited. Greene is at least worth 2 if not 3 or 4 more wins at SS than Theriot will be in 2008, especially if Khalil is SS in Chicago. With Greene's OPS mainly centering around his power ability, he's more suited for a 6 or 7 spot lineup role for the Cubs. While Theriot's skills profile as a #2 hitter with no pop or quite possibly a #8hole if his hitting can't carry his on base ability.

Comment

Bob, I understand where you're coming from, but to me that isn't worth losing Murton. Khalil Greene looks to me like a bandaid on a broken leg. We should lose Murton only if the return is someone who can be a permanent solution at a position. Especially since Fukudome isn't proven. If we trade Murton for Greene, Greene underperforms, and Fukudome doesn't develop, we've royally screwed ourselves. Far, far too many ifs for my taste, especially since it costs us virtually nothing to hold on to Murton.

Comment

I think that the cubs should keep Murton. He is a good player
                              MySpace Codes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X