Cubs have two deals in the works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs have two deals in the works!

Cubs Chairman Crane Kenny, who was on Espn 1000 this morning in Chicago stated "the Cubs had two pretty big deals in the works and hopefully will have both of them done very shortly". It's unlikely though, that one of the deals is gonna be for Johan Santana, who,in my opinion, is the best pitcher in the game. The Cubs are likely out of the running for Santana because they don't want to deplete their team to get him, this according to "Kenny". He likes the two other deals they have on the table much better and they won't be giving up the farm to get these deals done.

Obviously, he wasn't at the liberty to state who these deals or trades were for, but he did say he was very excited by them and that most people will see them as high profile deals with high profile players involved.

Most likely if it involves a pitcher, it's gonna be Lefty Eric Bedard from the Orioles, rather than Santana, who reports out of Minnesota are saying that the Twins will be trading Santana in the next 10 days and the Mets are the team that is most likely to land him.

Bedard, would be a nice edition to the Cubs staff, and they wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him. There is speculation that the trade would also include Brian Roberts, but the Cubs may have shyed away from Roberts after the steroid scandal involving him.

Either way, it should be an interesting couple of weeks for the Cubs brass and will see what deals they have on the table and if they truly are high profile deals.
    Bob Book
    Need Extra Cash For BallGames??

Originally posted by CubsFanLivinInMili-Wa-Kay View Post
    Bedard, would be a nice edition to the Cubs staff, and they wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him. There is speculation that the trade would also include Brian Roberts, but the Cubs may have shyed away from Roberts after the steroid scandal involving him.
    Reports are that although the Bedard to the Mariners trade isn't finalized, it's pretty close. High probabilty that Roberts is one of the two referenced.

Steroids is not a factor in evaluating Roberts. Even Bigbie, the only source for the Mitchell Report regarding Roberts, said that Roberts told him he only tried steroids once, and stopped, which is consistent with Roberts's later admission. I believe Roberts on this one because it's corroborated by Mitchell's source and because I don't think his game has benefited from steroids.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

If we would obtain Bedard, I would be literally shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
        If we would obtain Bedard, I would be literally shocked.
        on top of that... if we get Bedard without giving up the farm... well umm... yeah that's ummm... uhhh... there's not a word to describe it.
        "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
        Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
        Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
        Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
          Reports are that although the Bedard to the Mariners trade isn't finalized, it's pretty close.
          O's denying reports of Bedard deal
          MacPhail denies trade is in place to send ace to Mariners

for what it's worth...
          BELIEVE

Comment

Very strange. 2nd time this year that an Orioles trade was "all but finalized" only to be denied by the GM. Whoever's been reporting this stuff is really jumping the gun. Even Yahoo had it up in their website today.
            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Here's a reporter who said he heard about the trade directly from Jones, and thinks it's Angelos causing the problem:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...kes_again.html

Comment

Here's a reporter who said he heard about the trade directly from Jones, and thinks it's Angelos causing the problem:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...kes_again.html
                This deal is done other than Angelos signing off, and if Peter flubs this one up then, well I don't know what then because it would be completely stupid. He's getting an excellent offer for Bedard, the best he'll get at all.
                What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                Line Drive: .356
                HBP: .342
                Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                Intentional Walk: .176
                Outfield Fly: .035
                Groundball: -.101
                Bunts: -.103
                Infield Fly: -.243
                Strikeout: -.287
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                  This deal is done other than Angelos signing off, and if Peter flubs this one up then, well I don't know what then because it would be completely stupid. He's getting an excellent offer for Bedard, the best he'll get at all.
                  Unless there's any truth to the degenerative hip rumor, Angelos better jump on this before the Mariners sober up. Mariners' offer is a lot better than what the Mets offered for Santana. I don't think the differential is adequately explained by the fact that Bedard has 2 years of arbitration left compared to 1 year with Santana.

Comment

Unless there's any truth to the degenerative hip rumor, Angelos better jump on this before the Mariners sober up. Mariners' offer is a lot better than what the Mets offered for Santana. I don't think the differential is adequately explained by the fact that Bedard has 2 years of arbitration left compared to 1 year with Santana.
                    There is no truth to the degenerative hip rumor just started by some O's boob. Angelos THINKS he can get a better a deal now that Santana is off the table, teams who need a frontline lefty only have one place to go, Bedard. Then you have MacPhail basically screaming in Angelos' ear to take the M's offer because no one else is willing to give up that much, not the Yanks or BoSox.

As for the return on Santana, Guerra and Gomez have very high ceilings but are risky while Mulveney and Humber don't have the high ceiling but are much more likely to turn out to be MLBers (both as #3/#4 starters). But yeah the bounty for Johan was arguably less than what Beane got from the Dbacks for Haren or from the ChiSox for Swisher.
                    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                    Line Drive: .356
                    HBP: .342
                    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                    Intentional Walk: .176
                    Outfield Fly: .035
                    Groundball: -.101
                    Bunts: -.103
                    Infield Fly: -.243
                    Strikeout: -.287
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Have we given up on Roberts then? I can't imagine what it would take to pry Roberts from the O's if they won't take that offer on Bedard.

Angelos is unbeleivable. Can you imagine if someone like that bought the Cubs? YIKES!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X