Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pains and gains of WBC

Hi,
    I'm pretty new to the forum. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable baseball fans here (know a lot more than me, anyways). As a Cubs fan, I'm sure I'll be visiting this area of the site quite often through many Cubs victories. So I thought I'd introduce myself.

Anyhow, what do guys think of the WBC. Which Cub player do think will benefit most from the WBC and which (hopefully none) may be hurt the most by it?

My opinion Barrett will get the most out of it, more play and more experience can only benefit him. On the flip side, I fear Zambrano may go overboard as he tends to do and could hurt himself. Perhaps Blanco being there will help.
    Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

Cubs baseball is what happens while you're waiting for your pitchers to get healthy.

Originally posted by Rounding Home
    Hi,
    I'm pretty new to the forum. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable baseball fans here (know a lot more than me, anyways). As a Cubs fan, I'm sure I'll be visiting this area of the site quite often through many Cubs victories. So I thought I'd introduce myself.

Anyhow, what do guys think of the WBC. Which Cub player do think will benefit most from the WBC and which (hopefully none) may be hurt the most by it?

My opinion Barrett will get the most out of it, more play and more experience can only benefit him. On the flip side, I fear Zambrano may go overboard as he tends to do and could hurt himself. Perhaps Blanco being there will help.
    I think that no more good can come from the WBC than these players would get at spring training, probably less. The reason that spring training exists is to get players back into playing shape. They shouldn't be in games which demand 100% effort this early in the year. Pitch count rules will probably keep Z from overpitching.

Welcome to BBF and I hope you stay with us to talk about the Cubs!
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by Rounding Home

Barrett would probably be best suited working with Cub pitchers instead of other US pitchers. Mike is still considered an offensive catcher, defensive has often been his second suit. Sure he's made strides as Cub, especially offensively but on the defensive aspect he still needs time to improve considering this staff. Other than Barrett, Zambrano willl have a tough road. Carlos is one of main pitchers for Venezuela, pitch count or not, Zman will throw harder than he would during spring training. Of course Zambrano has toned himself (losing 15 lbs) and kept his delivery constant during the winter but any type playoff status (as what the WBC is being billed in Latin America) is serious pressure on an arm that is suppose to be preparing to throw 200+ IP during regular season.

If any man on the Cubs' 25 man roster should improve from playing in the WBC it's Henry "The VIII" Blanco. He'll likely get more time in the WBC than he regularly would in spring ball. Other than Blanco, the "other" Cubs catchers should get some playing time. With top developed catcher Geovany Soto getting the bulk of the time and Jacob Fox, Dennis Anderson, and maybe Jose Reyes getting the rest of the time behind the plate.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X