X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Pico
    replied
    Marquis

This game shows why Marquis is so maddening to Cub Fans. Just when we all want to trade/release/bullpen/spitroast Marquis, he turns in a fantastic effort like this one. Seven shutout innings, he absolutely deserved to win this one.

I am among those who don't favor moving him to the bullpen. I think Marquis has value as a starter. Trade him if we must, or leave him in there. I personally wouldn't want to trade him without getting something back, that would leave Marshall as our only reliable 5th starter option (unless Hart shows us something, he did have a great stint at AAA the last month)

Leave a comment:

• yankees_boi213
    replied
    i just cant wait to see how harden will do in his start. this is one of his longest streaks without missing a start. its bound to happen soon......this could have been the worst time to make the trade. plus lincecum is good on the road this year and after gettin knocked around by the mets i think he will come back and go like 8 innings with like 13 k's but with dempster out there as well he can shut down the giants and give the cubs a good shot on sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    Series Matchup
    Giants (39-53) @ Cubs (55-37)

Friday, July 11 (1:20 pm CT)
    Matt Cain (5-7, 4.30) vs. Jason Marquis (6-5, 4.78)

Saturday, July 12 (12:05 pm CT)
    Kevin Correia (1-5, 4.96) vs. Rich Harden (5-1, 2.34)

Sunday, July 13 (1:20 pm CT)
    Tim Lincecum (10-2, 2.66) vs. Ryan Dempster (10-3, 3.13)

Series Preview

Season series: 2-2

The Cubs are 35-11 at home while the Giants are 22-25 on the road.

Jason Marquis hasn't started a game since July 1. He faced the Giants on the road in his last outing, giving up 2 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks over 7 innings. Even though he has a 2.56 ERA in 6 career games against the Giants, he has a 6.29 ERA at home.

Rich Harden makes his Cubs debut on Saturday. The last time he faced the Giants he threw 6 shutout innings, allowed just 1 hit and had 9 Ks. He has a career ERA of 0.84 against them.

Ryan Dempster is looking to go 11-0 at home. He's only the 2nd pitcher in franchise history to win 10 wins in one season after recording at least 20 saves the year before. In his last 8 home starts, he is 7-0 with a 2.08 ERA.

Ryan Theriot has hit in 7 straight games and owns 35 multi-hit games. Soto has hit in 6 straight and Fontenot is hitting .350 (14-for-40) in his last 13 games.

Kosuke Fukudome is batting .170 (8-for-47) in his last 12 games.

The Giants come in after being swept in 3 games on the road by the Mets and have a 4-game losing streak. During the 4-game losing streak, they have been outscored 24-6 while batting just .153 and
    striking out 32 times. They are 27th in the majors with 370 runs scored and last with 57 homers.

Aaron Rowand is tied for 3rd in the NL in doubles and has the 3rd-highest batting average in day games.

Leadoff hitter Fred Lewis is on pace for more than 150 strikeouts.

Tim Lincecum has a 4.66 ERA in last 5 starts. Sunday's game should be a great pitcher's duel.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Next Century Is Here View Post
    If I remember correctly (and with all the home runs hit against us I'm not really sure) each relief pitcher we had gave up a home run to the first batter they faced today.
    All but one. Here's the way that went...

Wuertz - 5th batter hit HR
    Lieber - 1st batter hit HR
    Gaudin - 1st batter hit HR
    Cotts - 1st batter hit HR

Haven't seen anything like that in a while if ever.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    So much for the sweep. I thought the HR Derby was suppose to be next week at Yankee Stadium. 8 total homers and the Reds hit 7. The Reds also hit 7 HR off the Cubs back on May 7 in Cincy. The Cubs looked lke they were going to rally at different times in the game and then the Reds would score some more. Cubs had numerous guys on the bases and didn't get those timely hits.

Lilly looked ok starting out but it got ugly quick in the 3rd. Just wasn't his day. I'm not sure if I have ever seen this or it's been so long I forgot but every Cubs pitcher today was homered off of. Gaudin even served up a home run with the first batter he faced in his Wrigley Field debut.

Well at least we won the series. :cap:

Leave a comment:

• Next Century Is Here
    replied
    Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, pop - did you hear that? That was the sound of the Reds slamming seven home runs against us and Little Babe Ruth (Mike Fontenot's nickname coined by Ron Santo - I think I like Lil' Babe better) hitting the only home run for the Cubs.

What can you say about a game like this? You can't blame one pitcher. If I remember correctly (and with all the home runs hit against us I'm not really sure) each relief pitcher we had gave up a home run to the first batter they faced today.

The end result is we won the series and you can't ask for more than that on a consistent basis. The Giants come in town tomorrow for the final series before the All-Star break, if we can take two out of three we will be in good shape. It won't be easy; we will be facing Cain, Correia and Lincecum and we will have Marquis, Harden and Dempster respectively.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    ...and the Cards and Brewers lose!

Big Z might have pitched his most dominant game ever in throwing a 1-hitter over 8 innings. After givving up a HR to Dunn in the 4th inning, he retired the next 20 batters.He looked nasty out there tonight. Since he's returned from DL he gone: 14 innings, 5 hits, 1 ER, 2 walks, 10 Ks with a 0.64 ERA.

The run support finally came later on. A-Ram tied Geo for team homers at 16 and leads the team with
    63 RBIs. It must have been Marmol's turn tonight as he lost his command and ended up loading the bases with 2 outs after getting the first 2 batters out. Looked like he was trying too hard to throw around batters with all those sliders and not aggressively attack with fastballs. Wood got the last out and picked up his 23rd save.

Going for the sweep tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    If the A's win tonight they will be 4.5 back.

Currently the Cubs have a 4.5 game lead.

The Cubs are in the only division in which 2nd and 3rd place would be first place in any other division in the league and yet the Cubs still could very well have the largest lead on their competition. Who would have thunk it? Remember when we were wishing we had division leads like some of the other division leaders? I guess we should be careful for what we wish for.

Leave a comment:

• wrigleybum
    replied
    Marmol is seriously worrying me. Also Lou's constant use of him seriously worries me. We need him for the rest of the season, he plays a crucial role.

Nice to see Big Z dominate.

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    one carlos very VERY good. one carlos not so very good.

one hit over 8 innings (homerun to dunn). havent seen Zambrano THAT good in a long time

Leave a comment:

• nathanKent
    replied
    Originally posted by Cajun Cubbie View Post
    That was No. 16 for Soto. He now has more homers than any rookie catcher since Mike Piazza hit 18 in 1993.
    He also has more than the three big name power hitters on the team.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    Another home win. It's the 1st time since 1977 the Cubs have won 54 games before the All-Star break.

Last night Dempster became the 1st Cubs' pitcher to win his first 10 decisions at home since Rick Reuschel in 1977. Dempster only gave up 2 hits over 7 IP, but in the 4th inning it looked like he was suddendly put in charge of the merry-go-round when he walked 4 batters and walked in a run. He came back strong retiring the final 11 batters. Cotts and Howry didn't look too good. Cotts walked 2 of the only 3 batters he faced. Marmol closed the door in the 8th. Howry allowed 2 runs on 3 hits in the 9th.

Hairston has been swinging a hot bat as of late. The Cubs defense did a great job of keeping him off the bases. Very nice plays by Edmonds with that diving catch in the 1st inning and a couple of outstanding stops bt A-Ram.

Geo and my boy Fontenot each had 2-run homers. That was No. 16 for Soto. He now has more homers than any rookie catcher since Mike Piazza hit 18 in 1993.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    Series Matchup
    Reds (43-47) @ Cubs (53-36)

Tuesday, July 8 (7:05 pm CT)
    Aaron Harang (3-10, 4.47) vs. Ryan Dempster (9-3, 3.24)

Wednesday, July 9 (7:05 pm CT)
    Johnny Cueto (7-8, 4.63) vs. Carlos Zambrano (9-3, 2.96)

Thursday, july 10 (1:20 pm CT)
    Bronson Arroyo (6-7, 5.82) vs. Ted Lilly (9-5, 4.47)

Series Preview
    Season series: 3-3

The Cubs return home after going 4-6 on their road trip. They have the best home record in baseball
    at 33-10 (.767), their best start ever at Wrigley Field. They're also 20-7 (.741) during the day.

The Cubs have scored 276 runs and hit for a .311 average at home, which is the best in the majors.

Dempster is 9-0, 2.71 at home this season.

The Reds completed a 4-game home sweep of the Nationals and have won 7 out of their last 9 games. Their 4-game winning streak is their second-longest of the season, after a six-game streak in May.
    They are 17-27 (.386) on the road.

Jerry Hairston (former Cub) is hitting .390 in the leadoff spot for the Reds and .435 in July.

Leave a comment:

• Cajun Cubbie
    replied
    ^ Getting ahead of myself there about Soto...15 is a very low rookie home run record anyway.

If Soto continues on this pace he'll break Williams' record. He also has one of the best shots at winning the NL ROY just as Williams did.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Pico
    replied
    A good opportunity coming up with this homestand to create space. We are missing Edinson Volquez for the Cincy series, that is a big break. We will probably have to see Lincecum again the final weekend though.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X