X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Splendid Splinter
    Sweet Action Bo Jackson
    • Apr 2004

Can anyone tell me how Felix Pie is looking so far in the series against the Brewers? Is he swinging better? showing patience or more comfortable at the plate? as well as defensively in CF?

I've been too busy that I didn't see the series...
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Comment

• nathanKent
      • May 2007

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
      Can anyone tell me how Felix Pie is looking so far in the series against the Brewers? Is he swinging better? showing patience or more comfortable at the plate? as well as defensively in CF?

Defensively he looks great. Between him and Fukudome and their shared ability to cover a lot of ground very quickly, it's probably some of the most inspired OF play I've ever seen. Offensively.... still not there.
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

• Lipsander
        Sell to Mark "Cub"an
        • Jan 2006

I honestly think they should give him a chance until July. After that, he should be sent packing if he still is sucking it up.

Comment

• Bob Sacamento
          Stats dont lie except def
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post

Like nathan said Defensively he's been a gem in center but offensively is a different story. At the plate he still looks like a rookie chasing high fastballs and breaking balls outside of the zone. Still he's already shown flashes of what he's capable of with his speed and quick wrists to turn on inside pitches. As long as he's hitting .200 or above and playing excellent CF the Cubs should stick with him.
          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
          Line Drive: .356
          HBP: .342
          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
          Intentional Walk: .176
          Outfield Fly: .035
          Groundball: -.101
          Bunts: -.103
          Infield Fly: -.243
          Strikeout: -.287
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

• wrigleybum
            • Nov 2006

Pie is batting .273. I know its only three games, and he has struck out a bit too much, but he has gotten more hits than some of our bigger names. It's unfair to say he isn't looking good at the plate, that's an issue, but ignore Soriano, Ramirez, ect. struggles at the plate to start off the season.

It's only three games. Pie is going to have to get adjusted to the major leagues and learn. Everyone has to.

On the other hand, I though we looked like a great ballclub today, 1st inning aside. We ran well, showed patience at the plate, got some good hits, Dempster looked more and more dominating as the night went on, Wood looked good. I know it's just one victory, but I was very very pleased.

Comment

• Jeff Pico
              • Aug 2007

My only concern with the win today is the conclusions we draw. I think we will draw the conclusions that we won because we moved the lineup around, got serious, came to play ball, etc. etc.

The real reason we won is that Sheets and Suppan were very good, and Dave Bush was terrible. He walked Soriano on four pitches, not easy to do. I don't care WHERE Soriano bats, walk him on four pitches, you will lose. And Bush did. I hope the Brewers continue to rely on him every fifth day, because I think he couldn't beat out Lieber or Marquis for a spot in our rotation. This is where the Brewers are vulnerable, because they have a good team. Bush's pitches don't miss many bats. If they don't stay healthy in their pitching they are going to really suffer, because our pitching depth is much better than the Brew Crew's.

Comment

• nathanKent
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                Like nathan said Defensively he's been a gem in center but offensively is a different story. At the plate he still looks like a rookie chasing high fastballs and breaking balls outside of the zone. Still he's already shown flashes of what he's capable of with his speed and quick wrists to turn on inside pitches. As long as he's hitting .200 or above and playing excellent CF the Cubs should stick with him.
                .200.... oof. You have more tolerance for him than I do. I'm more with Lipsander on the idea of giving him until July (and holding onto Murton for the duration as well). .200 is only good for catchers and pitchers, in my opinion.

Of course you're considerably more knowledgeable about baseball than me, so you're probably right. :bowdown:

Comment

• nathanKent
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
                  Pie is batting .273. I know its only three games, and he has struck out a bit too much, but he has gotten more hits than some of our bigger names. It's unfair to say he isn't looking good at the plate, that's an issue, but ignore Soriano, Ramirez, ect. struggles at the plate to start off the season.
                  I see the .273 as a bit of a fluke. I don't like his plate discipline at all. In 11 ABs he has 3 hits, none for extra bases, no BBs, and 4 strikeouts (tied for the team lead with Soriano, who we know to be undisciplined in that regard, but Pie doesn't have Soriano's talent or power).

I love his defense and I love his baserunning speed. On singles he'll test infielders' discipline every time, and he could ostensibly steal a lot of bases. He could prove to be very much like Juan Pierre in that regard if he chooses to be. But unlike Pierre and Soriano he's not a natural .300 hitter, so he HAS to get more disciplined.

Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
                  On the other hand, I though we looked like a great ballclub today, 1st inning aside. We ran well, showed patience at the plate, got some good hits, Dempster looked more and more dominating as the night went on, Wood looked good. I know it's just one victory, but I was very very pleased.
                  I agree. We definitely exploited deficiencies in their pitching staff as well as the god awful defense of Jason Kendall (I'm overwhelmingly pleased that he stayed in our division), but that's the mark of a good team. And Demp was a beast today against a very solid hitting staff. I didn't think he had all of that in him. There's no telling whether or not he can maintain it, but that was the single best performance I've ever seen from him.

Yeah, today was a beauty to watch.

Comment

• nightotter
                    • Oct 2005

I guess I'm kind of glad I work third shift and missed the game - looks like a heart breaker.

Houston 4, Cubs 3

Comment

• nathanKent
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by nightotter View Post
                      I guess I'm kind of glad I work third shift and missed the game - looks like a heart breaker.

Houston 4, Cubs 3
                      Having not seen the game, it looks on paper as if Hill had a pretty decent outing. I'm encouraged that at four games in we have three quality starts from our rotation.

Comment

• rockin500
                        Cubs Fan
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                        Having not seen the game, it looks on paper as if Hill had a pretty decent outing. I'm encouraged that at four games in we have three quality starts from our rotation.
                        having listened to the game, he was VERY lucky to get out of it with a decent outing. That said, to give up only two runs when your fastball is all over the map isnt too bad. he kept the cubs in the game, which is about all you can ask for when you dont have your best stuff. he wasnt getting hit hard, he was just very wild.

As Pat Hughes said today "Its not a good thing when you are missing the strike zone by feet".

still you arent going to win if you cant score much.

Comment

• nathanKent
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                          having listened to the game, he was VERY lucky to get out of it with a decent outing. That said, to give up only two runs when your fastball is all over the map isnt too bad. he kept the cubs in the game, which is about all you can ask for when you dont have your best stuff. he wasnt getting hit hard, he was just very wild.

As Pat Hughes said today "Its not a good thing when you are missing the strike zone by feet".

still you arent going to win if you cant score much.
                          Getting out during a rough outing is part of being a good starter though, and he did pick up the quality start. But yeah, it's bad when this many top ranked hitters hit so poorly.

Comment

• MIKELIMA
                            GO CUBBIES!!
                            • Mar 2008

I have watched every game this season and i think it is safe to say, despite our three errors, WE NEED RUNS!!! Zambrono kicked ass in the opener and we couldn't help him out. Yesterday, we finally put a few hits together and tie it up 2-2 and allow them to come right back and score two more, with only one retalliatory run.

I do have to say though; the last game of the Brewers series was the only game so far i have been enthused and impressed.

Comment

• Scartissue
                              • Jun 2006

Lou's dropped Theriot to the 8th spot--the right move. Unfortunately, he's also starting Reed against the right-handed Oswalt. Could be a bad sign for Pie when Reed starts against righties.
                              To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

• wrigleybum
                                • Nov 2006

Woo! How about that bottom of the 7th inning!?!? Let's hope we can close it out. Nice to see the offense is finally getting rolling.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X