2008 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
    Funny.... 20 minutes after i post about Cotts giving up walks, he's giving up runs AND walks!

I do not like Neal Cotts.
    i say send him back to iowa. he stinks.

Comment

• Carlos Marmol: Master of the HBP
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Carlos Marmol: Master of the HBP
        what an ugly inning.

Comment

Carlos Marmol: Master of the HBP
          Do you think it is because he is being overused? Or was today just one of those days every reliever has once in a while? I am getting increasingly worried about this season. Soriano and Big Z hurt, some of our hitters are fading...I know I'm being pessimistic but I'm fearful that we've already seen the best this team has to offer.

Thank god St. Louis got swept at home to the Royals. The Royals!!

Comment

• Also, Baseball Tonight just had a nice little montage of the Yankees stealing bases with ease on Barrett. So glad that era is behind us.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
              Do you think it is because he is being overused? Or was today just one of those days every reliever has once in a while? I am getting increasingly worried about this season. Soriano and Big Z hurt, some of our hitters are fading...I know I'm being pessimistic but I'm fearful that we've already seen the best this team has to offer.

Thank god St. Louis got swept at home to the Royals. The Royals!!
              So we finally dropped a series, and we did it on the road against one of the better clubs in the league. We didn't get swept by the Royals at Wrigley. We're probably still okay. Marshall will come up from AAA to take Z's place temporarily, and Marshall is a proven winner. Lee and Ramirez will recover their stroke and Fukudome and Soto will continue to adjust to MLB pitching. Marmol will likely be given a few days off to rest both his head and his arm, which means we'll lean harder on Lieber, Howry, and Wuertz, all of whom are good pitchers.

Our next three series are in Chicago. Guys get to sleep in their own beds and hit in their own park (mostly). Interspersed with the two crosstown series are the opportunities to beat up on junior leaguers Baltimore and San Francisco. I predict we'll take three of the next four series. We'll be fine.

Comment

• that my friends... Is how to win a game!
                BELIEVE

Comment

• good come from behind win!

Comment

• Bob, I know Theriot is far from your or my first choice at SS, but he's playing a hell of a defensive game tonight.

Comment

• T-7 outs until an Ozzie f*#[email protected]*#!! rant.

Comment

• I've been impressed with Theriot offensively and defensively thus far, honestly. Now I'm not as knowledgeable as the life-long fans here on the Cubs specifically, but I've been watching baseball all my life and I like how "tough" his at bats are on the pitchers and I think he's got good hands and good instincts defensively. Maybe not the best range ever...but he's at worst an average defensive SS IMHO.

Comment

• great sweep. 14 games in a row at home now. awesomeness!

Comment

• Originally posted by SABR Matt View Post
                            I've been impressed with Theriot offensively and defensively thus far, honestly. Now I'm not as knowledgeable as the life-long fans here on the Cubs specifically, but I've been watching baseball all my life and I like how "tough" his at bats are on the pitchers and I think he's got good hands and good instincts defensively. Maybe not the best range ever...but he's at worst an average defensive SS IMHO.
                            Bob's criticism of him (and Bob's criticism carries a lot of weight.... he really knows his stuff) is that he's an Eckstein-esque "gritty" player with limited natural ability. I don't disagree with him, and a big part of me thinks we'd still be better off with Izturis. Having said that, SS depth is minimal in both leagues right now, and Theriot has yet to slip this season.

Comment

• Eckstein never worked pitchers the way Theriot seems to from this 30,000 foot view.

Sabermetrically speaking, I see your point though. Looks like he's getting lucky right now in terms of his batting average on balls in play. His minor league BABIP was .306, last year it was .287 (slightly unlucky) and this year it's .335 (very lucky).

So no...I don't think he's a .300 hitter. But I definitely don't think he's better than Cesar Izturis overall. Izturis' defense has always struck me as severely overrated. And the argument for Izturis over an average-solid fielder amounts to believing that Izturis is an Adam Everett caliber defensive master. I mean, even if we assume that Theriot's natural ability places him at .280/.340/.340, Izturis is a .250/.300/.320 hitter...that makes a pretty big difference.

Just out of curiosity...who in the Cubs system would you rather be playing short? There are probably better options I'm not yet aware of since I'm just getting up to speed. Cedeno was wildly inconsistent defensively and no better offensively...DeRosa can't handle the position. Who would you recommend?

Comment

• We would not, not, not be better off with Izturis. I strongly believe that. Theriot's range is below average, but I'm fine with his defense, as I think his offense makes up for this.

I like the comparison to Eckstien. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but Eckstien was a crucial part in that St. Louis team, just because of his attitude and style of play. He was a fan favorite for a reason, he helped make that team go.

AS for Ronny playing short, I have never liked (translation: despised) Ronny Cedeno until this year, and I don't think he is a permanent answer at short. I do think he should play short and Theriot second when they are both in, instead of the other way around.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X