2008 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
    This 3rd inning is why I hate the Intentional Walk. Except in late-inning, run doesn't matter situations, it comes back to bit you more often than not. A SABR guy could probably PROVE it with numbers, because I have seen it, but it's just a bad idea.
    Well in terms of scoring a run, the IBB counts for .176 of scoring a run, it's not nearly as effective to leading to runs as a Non-IBB (.315) or a HBP (.342).
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
      Well in terms of scoring a run, the IBB counts for .176 of scoring a run, it's not nearly as effective to leading to runs as a Non-IBB (.315) or a HBP (.342).
      It makes sense that it matters less than a walk, but .176 is still higher than ZERO, or a negative. I personally hate the Intentional Walk, except in a couple specific situations:

1. Two Outs, runner on 2nd or 3rd, 8th hitter up, with a Pitcher on deck (and that pitcher on deck is not Micah Owings)

2. Bottom of 9th or later Bottom of Inning, where runner on 2nd or 3rd are only ones that matter.

3. Aside from this, I like it ONLY when you walk a hitter that is WAY better than the next one; like walking Barry Bonds in his prime to get to Pedro Feliz, that kind of drop-off. But walking Markakis to get to Millar? No!

PS: The interesting stat to me on that list is the difference between BB and HBP. You would think they would be almost identical, since they are identical in terms of immediate effect. So why the difference? It must be the conditions that create the HBP; it must mean that HBP is more indicative of a pitcher's lack of performance than a BB. That after a HBP, the pitcher is more likely to melt down than after a BB. Makes sense, because you have to be VERY wild to hit someone.
      Last edited by Jeff Pico; 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Series Matchup
        Cubs ( 49-30) @ White Sox (43-35)

Friday, June 27 (3:05 pm CT)
        Ryan Dempster (9-2, 2.63) vs. Jose Contreras (6-6, 3.96)

Saturday, June 28 (2:55 pm CT)
        Sean Gallagher (3-3, 3.97) vs. Javier Vazquez (7-6, 4.24)

Sunday, June 29 (7:05 pm CT)
        Sean Marshall (0-1, 5.40) vs. Mark Buehrle (5-6, 4.04)

Series Preview
        In 63 games the Cubs have a 33-30 edge in this series.

The Cubs current 6-game winning streak over the White Sox is the longest in the IL history between the two teams. The Cubs have won 9 of their last 10 games against the White Sox.

The Cubs are coming off just their 2nd home series loss this season, after losing 2 of 3 to the Orioles.

Since May 1, the Cubs (.815) and the White Sox (.773) have the two highest home winning %.

Both teams are great from the 7th inning on:
        White Sox lead MLB with a +52 run differential
        Cubs are 2nd at +43 run differential

Ryan Dempster threw 8+ innings against the Sox last Sunday giving up 1 run on 10 hits for the win.

Aramis Ramirez hit 4 HR vs the White Sox last weekend at Wrigley Field and has hit 6 homers over his last 7 games against the White Sox. No Cubs player prior to Ramirez had ever hit 4 HR in a single season versus the White Sox, let alone one series.

The White Sox are coming off a series win taking 2 of 3 games against the Dodgers in LA.

Jose Contreras has lost his last 3 starts, but his 3.96 ERA is still way down from last year's 5.57. He's allowed 3 HR to the Cubs in his last start, after allowing just 2 HR over his previous 9 starts.

The White Sox have won 12 of their last 14 home games, hitting 34 HR and scoring double-digit runs on 5 occasions over the stretch. They are also the only AL team this season that has 4 different players with at least 14 HR.

Comment

• well, that sucked!

Comment

• Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
            well, that sucked!
            Yeah that pretty much sums up the game. I will say that Cedeno flashed some amazing leather in back to back plays today; plays that Theriot doesn't make. And his stroke looked really crisp. Ronny is definitely playing up his value, which is good when we go shopping for a starting pitcher over the next few weeks.
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Yeah that pretty much sums up the game. I will say that Cedeno flashed some amazing leather in back to back plays today; plays that Theriot doesn't make. And his stroke looked really crisp. Ronny is definitely playing up his value, which is good when we go shopping for a starting pitcher over the next few weeks.
              meanwhile patterson certainly didnt help himself too much with his play in left field.

Comment

meanwhile patterson certainly didnt help himself too much with his play in left field.
                Let us all not get confused, Patterson's best position is 2B, he just plays LF because it helps get his left handed advanced bat in the lineup. EP just needs to be sat down in a team's 2B and left alone to hit, that's just not going to happen as long as he's a Cub because we have about 20 different players at 2B.

Comment

...that's just not going to happen as long as he's a Cub because we have about 20 different players at 2B.
                  But of course we were trying to deal for a 2B this offseason

Comment

• talk about a quick hook for Piniella tonight. Home Plate ump screwed up. The first base umpire had it handled and then drake goes and butts in.

Comment

• It's last year all over again. Marshall puts up a quality start, fans five, and only walks one, but gets bubkis for run support.

I like Marshall.
                      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

talk about a quick hook for Piniella tonight. Home Plate ump screwed up. The first base umpire had it handled and then drake goes and butts in.
                        That's what happens when you have minor league umps...

Comment

• I don't know guys, I read Lou's lips and he said the magic word a couple times as he was running to argue balls and strikes

Lou was heading back to the dugout but it was ONLY because he had already gotten his point across.

I hate that... but I am more concerned with the teams lack of clutch hitting all of a sudden..

If this is the dry spell before the break I can take it... just as long as it get dripping wet with 2 out hits with RISP very VERY SOON!

Like I'm thinking in the next 4 games in the bay area...
                          BELIEVE

Comment

• Tonights game was some of the worst umpiring I have seen in a long time. Tip you hats to the Sox, but the UMPs blew alot of calls. Both behind the plate and on the bases.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpomeroy View Post
                              Tonights game was some of the worst umpiring I have seen in a long time. Tip you hats to the Sox, but the UMPs blew alot of calls. Both behind the plate and on the bases.
                              I concur, but games can't be won when your two best hitters post 0-fers. And there's no accounting for poor luck, like that last Edmonds out. Were that ball six inches higher, both DeRosa and Soto would have scored, and Jim might have even landed on 2nd. Instead it turned into an unfortunate and painful double play.

We're a little snakebit right now. This past week should have been better for us. Aside from the road trip to St. Louis, the rest of our games between now and the break are against AAAA teams. It would be to our advantage to end on a hot streak.
                              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

• Originally posted by RBi View Post
                                I don't know guys, I read Lou's lips and he said the magic word a couple times as he was running to argue balls and strikes

doesnt matter. The first base umpire told him to go back to the dugout. Lou did, and it wasnt until lou was 2/3 of the way back to the dugout that idiot decided to run him. If you noticed, the first base umpire had it handled the right way. The home plate umpire decided to be a hothead.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X