No announcement yet.

2008 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs are now at a season best 22 games over .500. I can't even remember the last time they had a record this good this far into the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
      Cubs are now at a season best 22 games over .500. I can't even remember the last time they had a record this good this far into the season.
      The last time the Cubs had this good of a record was probably the end of the 1989 season when they finished 93-69.

Comment

• Let's just hope things finish up better this time than they did that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
          Let's just hope things finish up better this time than they did that time.
          I want things to finish better for the Cubs than how they finished in every season from 1909 to the present.

Comment

• interesting lineup tonight.

Comment

• 1. Soriano
              2. Fontenot
              3. Ward
              4. Ramirez
              5. Edmonds
              6. Soto
              7. Fukudome
              8. Cedeno

Interesting to say the least.
              10 14 23 26 31 31 42
              1876 1880 1881 1882 1885 1886 1906 1907 1908 1910 1918
              1929 1932 1935 1938 1945
              1984 1989 1998 2003 2007 2008

Comment

• I like Lou and all but I hate it when managers simply insert the replacement player in the exact same lineup spot as the guy they are resting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                  I like Lou and all but I hate it when managers simply insert the replacement player in the exact same lineup spot as the guy they are resting.
                  He did that with Ward, but not with the middle infielders.

Looking at their faces, I get the feeling they don't wanna be there anymore tonight.
                  Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

• Man, what is this with us losing the first game of the series to some crappy team like the Pirates or Astros, the first game we keep getting shutout, it's past one in the morning and they just called it in the 8th, even with all of the backups in tonight we still should have been able to beat the Astros. Well, at least the Brewers lost and they're fighting now, Fielder the pitcher got in a fight in the dugout probably because Fielder said something about the pitcher giving up an extra two runs at the end of that inning and the pitcher probably mentioned to Fielder how he made the most unathletic whale flopping look of a dive toward it lol it was terrible.
                    EAMUS CATULI

AC000000 IN 2008 2009 2010!!!!!

Comment

• I don't count today's game as a real loss for the team. We played reserves (Fontenot at SS?) and the game was interrupted.

Comment

• no more scott eyre. he was DFA'd and Wood brought back from the DL

Comment

• not how you draw up a victory, but i'll take it!

Comment

• Yeah, a win is a win, but clearly not the win I wanted from them today.

Comment

• Cubs' Bullpen Unrolls Operation:Vulture
                              ASSOCIATED PRESS
                              5 August, 2008

Today Chicago Cubs relief pitcher Bobby Howry unveiled a plan that he purports to have been in the works for months now. The plan, coined Operation:Vulture by its creators, has two steps. In the first step, one or more relief pitchers combines poor effort and lackadaisical performance to give away a lead secured through a quality outing by the starting pitcher. The second step is to rely on a rally by the team's position players in the following half-inning. "Execution and timing are critical," explained Howry: "if the hitters don't come through, I end up looking like a dick."

Dick indeed. Howry has only three blown saves this year, but he chocks that up to lack of opportunity. "Woody (referring to Cubs' closer Kerry Wood) has five blown saves, but he gets more save situations. On percentage, I pwn him." A further study of team stats reveals Howry's statement to be wholly accurate. Wood has blown 5 of his 29 save opportunities, a paltry 17%. Howry, on the other hand, has blown 3 of his 4, or 75%. "Wood is incapable of putting up those kind of numbers."

Asked why he and some of his fellow relievers would implement such a seemingly dangerous plan during an otherwise wildly successful 2008 campaign, Howry pointed to history. "We were studying some of the all-time greats," the righty explained. Mike Timlin, Jesse Orosco, Paul Assenmacher.... these guys had over 30 vulture wins over the span of their careers. I can only hope I'll see that kind of success before I'm done with the game, or before it's done with me."

Howry was also asked to explain the timing of the decision. Howry responded "Chad Gaudin was the catalyst. We weren't ready before he was here." Gaudin was acquired in a recent trade with the Oakland Athletics, in which Cubs pitcher Sean Gallagher was traded away. "Sean's departure made it easier too, so I guess it was twofold. Sean was great in the 'pen--far, far too solid to implement a plan like this. He does so much better of a job at losing games when he's the starter." And lose he has--he has yet to post a quality start for the A's. "I'm proud of the work he's doing for them," Howry pontificated.

"The other part of the timing has to do with how the rest of the guys are playing," Howry continued. "The starters were posting several days' worth of quality starts in a row, and at the same time Soriano just got back and some of the other guys are really starting to mash. That means we (referring to the bullpen) don't get the opportunity to post any sort of stats. No wins, no saves, not even holds. If the statisticians would throw us a bone--maybe a DBHL (Didn't Blow Huge Lead) stat--we wouldn't have to do something like this to stay in the news."

"Besides, I think the fans like it," quipped the one-pitch wonder. "Fans love to see big hits, and we've put these guys in situations where they have to lay out clutch performances. I know they seem unhappy and complain and write mock interviews on internet forums, but deep down I think they secretly like the way we're taking care of business."

Howry then proposed yet another new relief pitcher stat: TCOB.

Comment

• Holy crap, dude, don't do that again you had me going until the very end there, I'm sitting here thinking that son a b**** I couldn't believe it lol.
                                EAMUS CATULI

AC000000 IN 2008 2009 2010!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X