No announcement yet.

2008 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, at least the cubs took game of the DH. now lets get the back end of it.

Comment

• Their offense is looking great so far today.

EDIT: Done and done, sweep is complete!
      Last edited by Mild Sauce; 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• ramirez got banged up today busting his butt for home on a weird play tonight. Lucky for him, its just a hip contusion, while painful, doesnt linger much past two or three days.

Comment

• Stupid poll: Like or dislike Lilly throwing at Braves' batters?

Me - I love it. He did it last year and caused a big scuff (umpires screwed that one up, but whatever). This year was even better. I didn't see the play where Escobar drilled a liner back at Lilly, so when he threw at him I thought it was because of Soriano (the broken hand 2 months ago and the pitch at the head earlier). I guess it was mostly about Escobar shooting that rocket at Lilly's head, but I thought more about it and decided it was Soriano too. The Cubs seem to get hurt playing these guys, for whatever reason, and Lilly - who seems to be the club's Hatchet Man - threw at Escobar as a way of saying "piss on you for always hurting us".

And not for nothing, but Escobar needs to learn how to take a pitch. Lilly threw that enough inside and low that Yunel only needed turn his back and absorb the pitch (not that it won't hurt, just to avoid hitting anything critical). Instead, he jumps back toward the ump and catches it on the elbow. Playing at this level, he should know by now how to do that. To be fair, it's difficult to react well when a fastball is streaming right at you (re: Soriano).

....didn't Prior hurt his elbow from a liner back to the mound while playing the Braves? I want to say yes, but I really can't remember.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunga View Post
            ....didn't Prior hurt his elbow from a liner back to the mound while playing the Braves? I want to say yes, but I really can't remember.....
            The liner was against the Rockies. Prior had a collision with Marcus Giles on the basepaths that caused him to injure his shoulder.

Comment

• Things we have learned lately about our bullpen:

1. MARMOL: He was NASTY last night against the Braves. It's official: Give him adequate rest, he will stay filthy. Overuse him like we did before the All Star Break, his command falters, and he gets rocked. Hopefully Lou is paying attention.
              2. SAMARDZIJA: Reason #1 that Marmol is getting his rest lately; Samardzija gives Lou a reliable option out of the pen.
              3. GAUDIN: As of this moment, just trading Gallagher for Gaudin straight up looks like it would have been a good idea. He's not Marmol, but he's reliable, and under our control for a few seasons.
              4. COTTS: Another key for us, he is becoming reliable. Not closer material, but definitely like him.
              5. HOWRY: Lou is giving Howry alot of chances, after all, last year he started terrible, but pulled it together and gave us 3 VERY good months at the end of the season. So it's not like he hasn't stunk before then turned it around. I have been in favor of letting him work it out, but I've had it; he sucks. The trouble it what do we do with this spot.

Thankfully, with all the guys above we are really talking about the last spot in the 'pen. So we don't need someone great, just plain competent would be OK. Options: Lieber, though he has a very high OBA; Wuertz, if he has figured out HIS problems

Comment

• what a great come back win!! daryl ward with the 3 run homer in the ninth.

zambrano struggled in the 3rd, but he still kept the cubs in the game, which is important when you have that bad inning.

Comment

• Interesting factoid; the Cubs have the best record in baseball over the last 10 games (tied with several others), the best record in baseball over the last 20 games (tied with TBR), and have the second best record in baseball over the last 30 games (1 behind the Angels). They did all of this with 14 road games in those 30 games, going 10-4 in those road games and they went 10-6 at home. So far the Cubs have done a better job on the road in these last 30 games. That is pretty impressive. The Cubs have the the best or second best record in all of baseball over the last 10, 20, 30 games and they did it while have significant amount of games on the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                    Interesting factoid; the Cubs have the best record in baseball over the last 10 games (tied with several others), the best record in baseball over the last 20 games (tied with TBR), and have the second best record in baseball over the last 30 games (1 behind the Angels). They did all of this with 14 road games in those 30 games, going 10-4 in those road games and they went 10-6 at home. So far the Cubs have done a better job on the road in these last 30 games. That is pretty impressive. The Cubs have the the best or second best record in all of baseball over the last 10, 20, 30 games and they did it while have significant amount of games on the road.
                    That is good info!!! A lot has been made of their road record, when they were below average (to be nice) earlier in the season. The big question has been their ability to play on the road, and I think they're answering that. Tonight's loss was tough, but they fought and had their chances. With the Reds and Nats at home, the prospects for a good cushion going into September look good.

Comment

• At this point I am no longer worried about the regular season. Now I am looking ahead to the playoffs and hoping that the team stays healthy for te playoffs.

Comment

• Cubs Curses?

Anything at this point that will give the cubs a chance to go to the world series I am open to!

Comment

• well, that was a nice win there after struggling all series with runners in scoring position. better late than never i suppose!

Comment

• Yep, great win and they're once again on top in the wins column as well, tied with the Angels.

Comment

• combined 3 hitter for the cubs today as harden was absolutely filthy (not to mention woody and marmol).

yeah, its the reds, but still when the offense isnt showing up (until the 8th), you need performances like that.

Comment

• I said in another post, but Harden is as filthy nasty as I have seen. When he is on, you can't hit him with a boat oar his **** moves so much in the zone. NASTY!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X