No announcement yet.

2008 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things considered, I think that the Cubs made the best trade in the middle of the season. Sabathia may be getting the headlines and the complete games, but first off, he'll be worn out by the postseason with how he's being used, and also he costed the Brewers and would've cost the Cubs more than the Cubs gave up to get not just Harden, but Gaudin as well.

Comment

• I feel sorry (well, not really) for Brewers fans; they could win their next 5 and not gain any ground at all in the standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
        All things considered, I think that the Cubs made the best trade in the middle of the season. Sabathia may be getting the headlines and the complete games, but first off, he'll be worn out by the postseason with how he's being used, and also he costed the Brewers and would've cost the Cubs more than the Cubs gave up to get not just Harden, but Gaudin as well.
        I agree with you on Sabathia. I was wondering if anyone else noticed how hard Ned Yost is working the big guy. But I say, cool! If they make the playoffs, maybe he'll be too fatigued to pitch when it really matters. I take this from the Knobler Blog on CBSSports.com:

"According to the great play index at baseball-reference.com, the 130 pitches is a career high for Sabathia. Not only that, but Sabathia has now topped 120 pitches three times for Milwaukee. In his last 3 1/2 seasons with the Indians, Sabathia topped 120 pitches just three times -- twice in 2006 and once earlier this season."

Talk about getting the most out of a guy before you lose him to free-agency!! At this rate, no one is gonna want to pay full price for him due to the chance he might develop a dead arm!
        I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. - Pete Rose

Comment

• On another note, I was at the game last night and watched Ted Lilly throw a masterful game; only to have it snatched from him by shoddy defense from Soriano and a weak offensive effort.

I love Soriano, but his lack of hustle on the basepaths and in the field are ticking me off. He should have had that pop-up by Encarnacion in the 7th that led to the go-ahead run...you should have seen it, he was jogging!!

And my continued frustration at Derek Lee is mounting...that guy is not the offensive powerhouse he was in '05. I think we have now seen enough evidence that that year was the exception, not the rule. How can a guy who stands 6'5" and weigh roughly 245lbs continually hit into double plays and ground weakly to the left side of the infield?!?! Square up on the ball for crying out loud and hit some linedrives!!

There, I have said my piece and await the onslaught of abuse from the Lee lovers...
          Last edited by jamon26; 08-21-2008, 10:38 PM. Reason: Hatred was too strong a word to use. I apologize.
          I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. - Pete Rose

Comment

• I didn't see the play but the complaints sound eerily similar to the ones voiced against Aramis a few years back. In both cases we are talking about players who did not and do not have healthy legs.

Comment

• well, you would hope they could score more runs, but still, a win is a win.

Comment

• Yeah, we'll take it, but the bats have to wake up!

Comment

• Originally posted by jamon26 View Post
                  On another note, I was at the game last night and watched Ted Lilly throw a masterful game; only to have it snatched from him by shoddy defense from Soriano and a weak offensive effort.

I love Soriano, but his lack of hustle on the basepaths and in the field are ticking me off. He should have had that pop-up by Encarnacion in the 7th that led to the go-ahead run...you should have seen it, he was jogging!!

And my continued frustration at Derek Lee is mounting...that guy is not the offensive powerhouse he was in '05. I think we have now seen enough evidence that that year was the exception, not the rule. How can a guy who stands 6'5" and weigh roughly 245lbs continually hit into double plays and ground weakly to the left side of the infield?!?! Square up on the ball for crying out loud and hit some linedrives!!

There, I have said my piece and await the onslaught of abuse from the Lee lovers...
                  Derrek Lee of 2005 was an anomaly. Aside from the GIDP issue this season, what we're seeing from him is more or less what we should expect in the future.
                  Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

• Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                    what a great come back win!! daryl ward with the 3 run homer in the ninth.

zambrano struggled in the 3rd, but he still kept the cubs in the game, which is important when you have that bad inning.
                    I loved that game that was the best game I've ever seen in person, I was at that one. Also, we took my little brother and it was his first ever big league ball game, it was freaking sweet.

Especially because we had tickets to the next game that we planned 4 months in advance so we got front row seats that were like $100 a pop and lou played the backups. I was really glad we got to Miami a couple hours early so we just went to the first one and then decided to sit in the bleachers for the last one and it was literally 120 degrees it was terrible but we won so it was worth it. It was especially awesome because the Marlins fans in the centerfield bleachers kept chanting Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, you suck the whole game to Reed Johnson and then he went 4 for 5 and hit a double off the wall they all were sitting at. I came home with the worst sunburn ever though lol.
                    EAMUS CATULI

AC000000 IN 2008 2009 2010!!!!!

Comment

• dempster looked good today. so did aramis. VERY good.

glad to see the offense wake up after the third inning (after leaving 8 on in the first 3)

Comment

• DeRosa is having a career year from a power standpoint, and he looks to be heating back up.

Comment

• Man, I really hope Dempster can get 20 wins this year, I realize that he would have to win 5 of his next 6 starts but I think he could do it. He's the only Cub pitcher with a mathematical chance left at it assuming the rotation stays the same. His last 6 starts are scheduled for Philly at home, Houston at home, St. Louis on the road, Houston on the road, St. Louis at home, and the Mets on the road.

The only ones I'm really concerned about are St. Louis and NYM on the road but Dempster I'm sure can get at least one of those, he'll get them all at home the way he's been rolling all season.
                          EAMUS CATULI

AC000000 IN 2008 2009 2010!!!!!

Comment

• another great outing by harden today.

Comment

• Originally posted by chitownkid21 View Post
                              Man, I really hope Dempster can get 20 wins this year, I realize that he would have to win 5 of his next 6 starts but I think he could do it. He's the only Cub pitcher with a mathematical chance left at it assuming the rotation stays the same. His last 6 starts are scheduled for Philly at home, Houston at home, St. Louis on the road, Houston on the road, St. Louis at home, and the Mets on the road.

The only ones I'm really concerned about are St. Louis and NYM on the road but Dempster I'm sure can get at least one of those, he'll get them all at home the way he's been rolling all season.
                              It'd better be the St. Louis game. The Mets are kryptonite to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                                another great outing by harden today.
                                Wow, no kidding. He looks :bowdown:awesome. And he shows great confidence out there too. He expects to do well and that helps the whole process.

ME
                                Pitching, Defense, and a Three-Run Homer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X