X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mild Sauce
    • Jan 2008

What has Fukudome's influence done?

I know this isn't entirely Fukudome's doing, but I was thinking about how he's been consistently playing well so far, and what that has done for the rest of the team. This isn't necessarily what Fukudome is doing with the bat and the glove, both of which have been very good so far, but goes further into how he's influencing the team.

I'm sure we all noticed as the Cubs only seemed to be scoring runs in spurts early on (first 5-10 games) this season. However, Fukudome was constantly putting up good numbers throughout the season playing with simple, but very good fundamentals and doing things like forcing pitchers to throw a lot of pitches to him (most per at bat in the league).

Anyway, as the season has progressed I've noticed that Cubs players have increasingly grown more and more patient at the plate (as a whole). I don't know if it just seems like this or if it is actually happening (most likely). However, I've seen so many more quality at bats for the Cubs as the season has progressed, and not just in that the season has been getting going, they're just simply looking like they're getting as many good at bats as they can. I have a feeling that the team watching Fukudome do so well while doing this has to have at least made an impression. I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with the coaching staff and the players taking it upon themselves, but this hasn't happened like this in past years, and the one thing I can think of is the influence of Fukudome.

Is it possible? I'm not saying anything really for sure or anything, just making an observation and coming up with a possible reason for why the change has happened. Either way, I'm really excited to see the team actually playing good fundamental ball on top of their otherwise good play. That's what can take a team deep.
  • nathanKent
    • May 2007

I don't know if his play is the cause, but it certainly doesn't hurt. My guess is that DeRosa's GIDP in the NLDS might have inspired the coaching staff to have a discussion or two with the players about how a proper AB is done. Right now we have 9 players with an OBP over .400 (Fukudome, Blanco, Soto, DeRosa, Johnson, Lee, Ramirez, Theriot, and Cedeno). Four of them have a differential greater than .100 between their BA and OBP (Fukudome, Soto, DeRosa, and Ramirez), and of the remaining five, Lee's differential is the lowest at .058. We have a team OBP of .364, best in the NL and second best in MLB. And we're actually stealing some bases too.

Man, this is way better than leaning on the rotation to pitch shutouts.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
      Sweet Action Bo Jackson
      • Apr 2004

Yeah everything is going well... My only worry is that if when the offense slumps a little, will the guys start to become more aggressive, start swinging more, and possibly get out of sync or will they stay the way they have been, be patience, and see more pitches until you get a good one. I hope they stay the way they have been since even if they're struggling hitting, they can still get on base and make the other pitcher work at it and his pitch count so they have to go to their bullpen.

I think Fukudome has a little influence on his team. His work ethic, his batting practice, fundamentals, and everything else... He's showing the guys here how they do it in Japan. I think a lot of the players now are seeing that taking a first strike can turn out to be good and seeing more pitches in the process. I see guys like Abreu and Helton who are great OBP guys practically never swing on the 1st strike.
      Last edited by The Splendid Splinter; 04-22-2008, 08:22 PM.
      "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
      Bo Jackson

Comment

• Bob Sacamento
        Stats dont lie except def
        • Oct 2005

The addition of the plate disciplined Fukudome and Johnson, might have had a little to do with the team walking more. But if you want someone to thank for the Cubs' approach at the plate look no further than hitting coach Gerald Perry. Perry has guys buying into his system of the more you see the ball, the better you'll hit it. He's helped the strokes of nearly all of our players but no two more than Pie and Cedeno. Perry has Pie shortening his stroke, trying to poke liners and hit he ball on the ground. While Gerald's had Ronny concentrating at hitting the ball up the middle and laying off the breaking balls/fouling them off if he can't do anything with'm.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

• Lipsander
          Sell to Mark "Cub"an
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
          But if you want someone to thank for the Cubs' approach at the plate look no further than hitting coach Gerald Perry. Perry has guys buying into his system of the more you see the ball, the better you'll hit it. He's helped the strokes of nearly all of our players but no two more than Pie and Cedeno.
          I agree 100%. I was getting ready to reply to say the exact same thing until I saw your post. Let's hope though people that our team can keep this going. Hopefully we haven't even seen the best yet.

Comment

• Hack_Miller
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
            Perry has guys buying into his system of the more you see the ball, the better you'll hit it. He's helped the strokes of nearly all of our players but no two more than Pie and Cedeno. Perry has Pie shortening his stroke, trying to poke liners and hit he ball on the ground. While Gerald's had Ronny concentrating at hitting the ball up the middle and laying off the breaking balls/fouling them off if he can't do anything with'm.
            You are dead on here. I'm amazed at some Cedeno's ABs in the last few games. He's seeing 8 or 9 pitches and seems to be working through the pitches until he sees something he can handle. The best example of his new approach was the AB against Heilman with the bases loaded in the first game vs the Mets. He took some pitches he couldn't handle, fouled off a few others and finally got a fastball up in the zone. He stroked it right up the middle, driving in two runs and chasing Heilman. I never thought I'd see that out of Cedeno.

Comment

• Windy City Fan
              Bitter Optimist
              • Aug 2003

I agree with everyone, the Cubs have been remarkably more patient and selective at the plate. Cedeno has had some AMAZING at bats. Like SS said, I hope the Cubs hitters don't retreat back to their free swinging ways when the offense cools down.
              "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
              - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
              - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

• Rapmaster
                • Oct 2006

I mentioned this earlier in another post, but meh.

I think Fukudome's influence is what you said it was, similar to how Bobby Abreu stabilized the Yankees' lineup back in 2006. He slowed things down a bit and the hitters are controlling their situation much better. As a side observation, the Cubs have struggled in the past against relievers with good stuff, but not necessarily good control. The past few days, they've pummeled guys like Jorge Sosa, which really seems to be a result of some added patience.

Similarly, the Cubs got hot as soon as Soriano went down, coincidence?

Comment

• wrigleybum
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Rapmaster View Post
                  Similarly, the Cubs got hot as soon as Soriano went down, coincidence?
                  Was thinking the same thing. I think Soriano was hurting us because he was batting so poorly, but I have faith he will break out of it and just add to our hot offense.

Comment

• Bob Sacamento
                    Stats dont lie except def
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
                    Was thinking the same thing. I think Soriano was hurting us because he was batting so poorly, but I have faith he will break out of it and just add to our hot offense.
                    Eventually, he's going to break out of this slump, no one knows when though. But to keep batting him leadoff is just a bad call as he's the guy getting the most plate appearances and if he's struggling it helps no one and hinders the team.
                    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                    Line Drive: .356
                    HBP: .342
                    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                    Intentional Walk: .176
                    Outfield Fly: .035
                    Groundball: -.101
                    Bunts: -.103
                    Infield Fly: -.243
                    Strikeout: -.287
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X