• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Lee Homers in WBC Opener

Full Article at http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

United States 2, Mexico 0

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
    March 7, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- One after another, the American pitchers were untouchable. A pair of big blows provided all the help they needed.

Jake Peavy and a parade of relievers combined on a four-hitter against a lineup loaded with major leaguers Tuesday, leading the United States to a 2-0 victory over Mexico in its World Baseball Classic debut.

Home runs by Derrek Lee and Chipper Jones were all that was necessary on offense.

"Today I felt proud," Lee said. "I felt like the whole country was watching."

Lee hit a 1-1 pitch from starter Rodrigo Lopez over the right-field fence and Jones homered on the first pitch he saw in the tournament -- off Oscar Villarreal in the seventh.

good to see the americans start off with such great pitching, and some power with the bat
    Southlake Carroll Dragons Football
    National Champs '04, '05, '06
    State Champs '88, '92, '93, '02, '04, '05, '06

Comment

That home run was the happiest part of the game. Made me feel proud top be a Cub fan.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Micheal Barrett will be the starting catcher on Friday against South Africa, catching Roger Clements, for those interested.

But yeah, very good game for Lee. He had some trouble at 1st base, some of it was Utley's fault for some poor throws, but solid all-around game for Lee.
        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

Hey Prior long time no see, where ya been?
          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

USA lost to Canada...the candieans..blah 8-6..
            Southlake Carroll Dragons Football
            National Champs '04, '05, '06
            State Champs '88, '92, '93, '02, '04, '05, '06

Comment

its a good thing that dlee, jr and varitek are actually playing for the usa. texeira, al leiter, this majewski guy and this holliday character just need to leave the team immediately. we'd be better off w/o them

Comment

Originally posted by Prior22Fan
                Micheal Barrett will be the starting catcher on Friday against South Africa, catching Roger Clements, for those interested.
                So much for the theory that Barrett's not a good "pitcher's catcher". I'm not sure if Clemens actually chose him or not, but I'm sure that if he honestly didn't want Barrett catching him he would've asked for Varitek or Schneider.
                EAMUS CATULI!
                AC036198

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                  Hey Prior long time no see, where ya been?
                  Still depressed that the White Sox are world champions.... lol

j/k

school work and the buffalo sabres playing amazing hockey kinda kept me away from baseball. But, the wbc got me right into it! lol
                  Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

So much for the theory that Barrett's not a good "pitcher's catcher". I'm not sure if Clemens actually chose him or not, but I'm sure that if he honestly didn't want Barrett catching him he would've asked for Varitek or Schneider.
                    Clemens was paired up with Barrett in a tournament where they have 3 pitchers and 3 catchers. It's not a theory. Barrett's not the most popular catcher on his own team. Z, Maddux & Prior have all made it known over the past couple years that they prefer the backup catcher.
                    I don't think Wood even knows the names of the Cubs' catchers, since he's worked with them so little.
                    beware of the censorship police

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X