Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill optioned, Gallagher called up

This is the right move.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
    This is the right move.
    Yeah it was the right call, Hill has to reinvent himself. He needs to make that developmental changeup into a real threat. Right now hitters just sit and wait for his mild 90 mph fastball. Especially since his curve isn't hitting. It'll be interesting to see who'll start Marshall or Gallagher and with Eyre coming back one of the two might not be here too much longer.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I'd be happy to see either, though my curiosity leads me to want to see Gallagher. I think I know what we'll get with Marshall, which is good production. Gallagher is more unpredictible.
      To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Lieber was announced as the starter in Hill's place. Not a horrible choice, but would have liked one of the kids to get a shot. Lou said he thought about Marshall, but thought he wasn't stretched out. Gallagher would have been ready, but I guess Lou's not willing to trust someone new.

Comment

Lieber was announced as the starter in Hill's place. Not a horrible choice, but would have liked one of the kids to get a shot. Lou said he thought about Marshall, but thought he wasn't stretched out. Gallagher would have been ready, but I guess Lou's not willing to trust someone new.
          I don't think it's a matter of trust. Marshall and Lieber are proven winners at this level and have played well this season already. Gallagher is still unproven above AAA. We can't afford to have to lean on the 'pen for another 10.1 innings if Gallagher gets the start and has a bad 1st inning. We're very lucky Lilly went lights out today.
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
            I don't think it's a matter of trust. Marshall and Lieber are proven winners at this level and have played well this season already. Gallagher is still unproven above AAA. We can't afford to have to lean on the 'pen for another 10.1 innings if Gallagher gets the start and has a bad 1st inning. We're very lucky Lilly went lights out today.
            That's what I meant by trust--Lou won't give it to Gallagher because he's not proven.

Comment

That's what I meant by trust--Lou won't give it to Gallagher because he's not proven.
              Fair enough. And wait.... how did we get turned around so that we had two lefties pitching consecutively? Wasn't that part of the justification for not putting Marshall into the rotation?

Comment

Demoting Hill right move, no question, and I can't argue with slotting Lieber into that spot in the rotation. Thank god Hill still has options left.

I might have promoted Jose Ascanio instead of Gallagher. Gallagher is really a starting pitching prospect, not a reliever, and I would prefer to keep him stretched out in Iowa in case someone else falters/goes down with injury. Ascanio has pitched very well, and from the numbers looks ML-ready.

Comment

PS, does anyone know if Wuertz has an option left? If he does, he might be getting a ticket to Iowa soon, and Ascanio might be coming up to replace him.

I know Howry doesn't have options, so if he's not on the D/L, he has to sort his problems out in the majors. Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Pico View Post
                    I might have promoted Jose Ascanio instead of Gallagher. Gallagher is really a starting pitching prospect, not a reliever, and I would prefer to keep him stretched out in Iowa in case someone else falters/goes down with injury. Ascanio has pitched very well, and from the numbers looks ML-ready.
                    That's another reason for Gallagher to start. We don't have many guys that are doing well, and are already stretched out. If Gallagher doesn't start, I'm with you that calling him up to pitch out of the pen isn't the best idea.

Comment

Fair enough. And wait.... how did we get turned around so that we had two lefties pitching consecutively? Wasn't that part of the justification for not putting Marshall into the rotation?
                      I'm not sure how that happened, but I know the Cards have struggled against lefties the past few years, especially lefties in Lilly and Hill's mold. Maybe Lou tinkered with the rotation knowing this, thats the only explination I can think of.

Comment

We're very lucky Lilly went lights out today.
                        I wouldn't really call Lilly's performance today lights out. It was more like a quality start that benefited from an offensive explosion for an inning. Lilly was once again playing with fire, his velocity was still down and he was living off spotting his pitches. I hope we don't have to live with control artist Lilly all season.

tsk tsk, Marshall deserves the shot but one can't really argue with Lieber. Jon's been an effective starter for much of his career and knows how to pitch; he's a poor man's Greg Maddux. This year, Jon is looking his age, making hitters hit his pitches and make contact. As for Lou's excuse, it's one that I'm getting sick of him using with Marshall. Lou used it last year as a cover for not wanting to start a young'n, and he's using it again.
                        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                        Line Drive: .356
                        HBP: .342
                        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                        Intentional Walk: .176
                        Outfield Fly: .035
                        Groundball: -.101
                        Bunts: -.103
                        Infield Fly: -.243
                        Strikeout: -.287
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

PS, does anyone know if Wuertz has an option left? If he does, he might be getting a ticket to Iowa soon, and Ascanio might be coming up to replace him.
                          I believe Wuertz does have options left, as he hasn't been sent down much at all (if at all.... can someone with more expertise speak to this?) for a couple of years now. He's a mainstay and rightly so, and I seriously doubt he'll be sent down for having a couple of rough innings. We're 4-0 in games where he has given up an ER, and other than Marmol he's our best right-handed middle reliever (I count Lieber's role as something entirely different than middle relief). You don't cut that guy for a guy with no proven track record.

I know Howry doesn't have options, so if he's not on the D/L, he has to sort his problems out in the majors. Ugh!
                          Yeah, but he can sort them out as the last man up, just like Eyre did last year.

That's another reason for Gallagher to start. We don't have many guys that are doing well, and are already stretched out. If Gallagher doesn't start, I'm with you that calling him up to pitch out of the pen isn't the best idea.
                          I agree with this, mostly. Say we lost Marquis today.... Lieber is already ready, and you work around off days to give Marshall a week to get stretched back out. He's only three weeks off from his last AAA start.

Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
                          I'm not sure how that happened, but I know the Cards have struggled against lefties the past few years, especially lefties in Lilly and Hill's mold. Maybe Lou tinkered with the rotation knowing this, thats the only explination I can think of.
                          Nah, I remember now. It was that the Brewers had been tearing through lefties, so Lou wanted to give them all three righties instead. Whole lotta good that did us....

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                          I wouldn't really call Lilly's performance today lights out. It was more like a quality start that benefited from an offensive explosion for an inning. Lilly was once again playing with fire, his velocity was still down and he was living off spotting his pitches. I hope we don't have to live with control artist Lilly all season.
                          Okay, he pitched on testicular fortitude. He gave 7 solid innings in a game where we had nothing to go with in the 'pen. He reached down inside and found something to get the team by in a tough spot. Just like that kid in the end of that movie when his arm snaps back in to place and he doesn't have the rocket ar.... uhh, nevermind.

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                          tsk tsk, Marshall deserves the shot but one can't really argue with Lieber. Jon's been an effective starter for much of his career and knows how to pitch; he's a poor man's Greg Maddux. This year, Jon is looking his age, making hitters hit his pitches and make contact. As for Lou's excuse, it's one that I'm getting sick of him using with Marshall. Lou used it last year as a cover for not wanting to start a young'n, and he's using it again.
                          Agreed.

Comment

I agree and don't that is is the right move.
                            Here are the pros: Hill needs to throw more fastballs. The curve is his out pitch and I am not sure that is good. He has only to pitches: Fastballs and curves. In the bullpen Howery can get away with only throwing fastballs, because he only does 1 maybe 2 innings at most. I think in the minors Hill will learn a new pitch besides the fast ball and the curve. Maybe a change up. But he should still only throw off speed pitches when he is ahead in the count, otherwise he falls behind. Fastballs should be his out pitch.

Cons: I have only one con. His confidince will fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubbyfanjohn View Post
                              I agree and don't that is is the right move.
                              Here are the pros: Hill needs to throw more fastballs. The curve is his out pitch and I am not sure that is good. He has only to pitches: Fastballs and curves. In the bullpen Howery can get away with only throwing fastballs, because he only does 1 maybe 2 innings at most. I think in the minors Hill will learn a new pitch besides the fast ball and the curve. Maybe a change up. But he should still only throw off speed pitches when he is ahead in the count, otherwise he falls behind. Fastballs should be his out pitch.

Cons: I have only one con. His confidince will fall.
                              I think it'll do the opposite for his confidence. Even against lesser competition, a win still feels better than a loss.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X