Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cubs pitching

any bets on zombrano and cy young?

Right now he's on pace for 19 1/2 wins and 4 1/2 losses. I doubt he'll stay completely on that pace, but with 18 wins and fewer than 8 losses he'd definitely be in contention. He's right at that age where great pitchers hit their stride too. Maddux had his two 20W seasons at 26 and 27 and started his streak of single digit L seasons at 28 (including 19-2 at 29). Ryan had his first winning season at 25 and followed with his only two 20+ win seasons at 26 and 27, and all three of those seasons posted an ERA below 3.00.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Not if Brandon Webb continues to pitch the way he has.

Comment

He is 4-1, but easily could be 6-1, with Wood blowing his most recent game, and with Ben Sheets matching him scoreless frame after scoreless frame. Obviously blown saves and no run production happen to even pitcher here and there, but it's crazy to think he could have had 6 wins in April.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigleybum View Post
          He is 4-1, but easily could be 6-1, with Wood blowing his most recent game, and with Ben Sheets matching him scoreless frame after scoreless frame. Obviously blown saves and no run production happen to even pitcher here and there, but it's crazy to think he could have had 6 wins in April.
          Yeah, there's something to be said for quality starts. Provided your team has some sort of offense (and we definitely do), your number of wins will come close to matching your number of quality starts. He got a no decision on two quality starts, but likewise at some point in the season he'll pick up a couple of wins on rough outings.

BTW, on quality starts, he's presently on pace to get 29. That's completely unrealistic, but to hit 20 he only needs to get three a month (two in July) from here on out.
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfanfromarkansas View Post
            Not if Brandon Webb continues to pitch the way he has.
            I agree. But all pitchers have a bad strech, and that may be coming for Webb. Or, it may be coming for Carlos.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubbyfanjohn View Post
              I agree. But all pitchers have a bad strech, and that may be coming for Webb. Or, it may be coming for Carlos.
              True, but Webb has been more consistent throughout his career. In addition, what Webb does in a hitter's park is impressive. Although Wrigley is considered a hitter's park, it's actually not by that much.
              To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                True, but Webb has been more consistent throughout his career. In addition, what Webb does in a hitter's park is impressive. Although Wrigley is considered a hitter's park, it's actually not by that much.
                It all depends on which way the wind is blowing...

Comment

As I said, Im not making any predictions on Carolos...ever! Hes too unpredictable, no one knows what he will do. His inconsistancy reminds me of Rex Grossman. Although, Grossman couldnt shine Zambranos shoes! Id like to predict a Cy Young, but as someone said, Webb is amazing...in my opinion, hes the best in the league.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Webb is rolling along, and when someone has been as good as he has been this season, it usually translates into the Cy Young. Not that Webb isn't doing the job, but I think he's pitching against a weaker hitting division than Z (I don't have the numbers, but I imagine that most of his starts are scheduled against division rivals)

I think Zambrano has one in his future - who knows, this may his year. For sure, if he keeps up his perfomance level, they'll be talking more about him come July when alot of the pretender teams/pitchers have started to fade.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X