10th anny. of Wood's 20 K game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th anny. of Wood's 20 K game.

Tuesday May 6th will be the 10th anniversary of Kerry Wood striking out 20 Astros. I still remember my uncle calling me and telling me to turn on the TV and I got to watch the last few innings of the game. This was the one of the best pitching performances I have ever seen, and was one of my most exciting Cubs moment.

Here's a clip of Sportscenter's coverage of that game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geOt19WQ55Y

That fastball that busts in on right hand hitters was nasty! :bowdown:
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      That fastball that busts in on right hand hitters was nasty! :bowdown:
      Screw the fastball that busts on righties, how about that slurve that defied the laws of physics.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

That was amazing! 20 strikeouts! It must of been great to be part of that game. Playing in it, or watching it.

Comment

And just imagine if the Kevin Orie play was scored differently. Even he admitted it was an error.

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfanfromarkansas View Post
            And just imagine if the Kevin Orie play was scored differently. Even he admitted it was an error.

Yeah, I know. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubbyfanjohn View Post
              Yeah, I know. It's sad.
              He makes that play, Wood might have had 21 Ks because the pitcher bunted for a sacrafice. With no men on base, my money would have been that Reynolds would have struck out. Also, would Biggio take his cheap HBP if it were a perfect game into the 6th? There's arguably an unwritten rule that you are not supposed to take a cheap base like a HBP or a bunt single late into a perfect game. We may have been talking about a perfect game with the most strikeouts ever--the most dominant game ever pitched. In any event, I still think it should be considered one of the most dominant game ever.
              To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

One of the most, I dont remember where I read it, but his pitching score for the game was the highest in history, and assuming he did strikeout Biggio and the hit was called an error it would only go higher. Biggio himself said if he didnt take that HBP he prolly would have struck out too. In my eyes, that makes it THE most dominating pitching in the history of this great game.
                "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

At that time, I was working a crappy summer job at Walmart with a horrible boss. I hated both my job and my boss. The game was still going when I was supposed to go to work. So I just sat right there and watched the game and went into work after it was over. That was a big deal for me because I take pride in being a good dependable worker. But there was no way I was going to miss history just to restock pens for a job I despised.

Want to know a secret? Nobody noticed I was late, so I didn't clock in that day. Then I told the boss I forgot to clock in, and she wrote me in for the time I was supposed to be there...
                  Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

HAHAHA thats hilarious. I wish I could get that lucky.
                    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

What I find interesting is that in the four 20 strikeout games (2 by Clemens, Johnson, and Wood) they gave up a combined ZERO walks. That's simply amazing.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

This game is on ESPN Classic right now, and then again at like 3:00 AM. Set your DVRs or Tivos now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C View Post
                          This game is on ESPN Classic right now, and then again at like 3:00 AM. Set your DVRs or Tivos now.
                          Thanks for the tip. Will do.
                          To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

BLEEPITY BLEEP I JUST MISSED IT!!!!!

I used to have it on my computer and I accidentally deleted it a while back. I have been trying to re-record it ever since! I can't believe I missed it by like 4 hours! I was watching the ESPN Classic listings like a HAWK around the anniversary date; why the hell didn't they play it then?!?!? OMFG I'm so mad right now....

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                              What I find interesting is that in the four 20 strikeout games (2 by Clemens, Johnson, and Wood) they gave up a combined ZERO walks. That's simply amazing.
                              I hadn't really thought about that. It is amazing. I guess they were all so busy striking guys out, they didn't have the time to walk anybody.
                              Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X