Cubs looking at Edmonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs looking at Edmonds?

The Sun-Times and Dave Van Dyck are reporting that the Cubs are seriously looking at Jim Edmonds pending a physical and him clearing waivers on Wed., meaning Pie is likely to be heading back down.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...8.article#Vote

So we're gonna take a .200 hitting CF with no future over a .200 hitting CF with some future?
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
      So we're gonna take a .200 hitting CF with no future over a .200 hitting CF with some future?
      +1. When are they going to realize that the more Johnson plays, the more he is coming back down to Earth after his great start. RJ and Pie are not that far apart in offensive stats anymore and Pie is way better on defense. What is Lou & Jim seeing that no one else is? Edmunds makes me want to puke and I don't want my summer ruined by having to watch that washed up p.o.s. play CF for the Cubs. Go with the leftie/rightie platoon with the guys you have now.

Comment

Basically... It's so Edmonds can hit at 5 spot and we move Fukudome to the 2 spot. I think at this point, Edmonds is still better D at CF than Johnson. Edmonds has more patience and experienced than Pie or Johnson. Since Cardinals dumped him, Edmonds will be looking to come back, do well, and help us beat them. Don't forget his numbers were affected by Petco which kills your numbers. I think Edmonds will hit more towards his career line. I can see like a .250/.340/.450 out of Edmonds... That's probably being safe. Also for like 300,000 bucks, why not take a risk like that if we're really thinking about WIN now mode? Which is what a lot of people think... thinking that we have to WIN now or it's never. Yes, he has been declining, I know that, but he can be an useful CF in a park like Wrigley as his home. I don't think he's done yet and he wants to prove that to everyone.

Don't forget I'm probably the biggest Pie supporter on here. If they're not taking a chance and letting Pie play everyday... put him in AAA so he can play everyday. Either that or trade him, but Cubs should be smart and keep him. Unless we get a great offer in a trade.
        Last edited by The Splendid Splinter; 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM.
        "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
        Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
        Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
        Bo Jackson

Comment

I think he is done. I started this year with him as the utility on my fantasy team. He did nothing to prove me wrong. Having him screw up my fantasy team was bad enough, but having him screw up my real team just isn't acceptable.

Lou, don't make me break out my potato launcher.

Comment

If this occurs I will be so pissed off, more than any other move we've have done recently. First off, I hate Edmonds. And when I say hate I mean loathe. He has a bad, show-boat attitude. I hated that Cards fans loved him, when I always thought he was over-rated. He definitely was over rated as a fielder...all those amazing diving plays he made were either A) Unnecessary because he was showboating, and B) A fast center fielder like Pie would make those plays easy, because he can cover more ground.

Also, there is a reason the Cards pretty much gave him away this season, despite most of St. Louis loving him. He is way on the decline (although he also cost a lot, which contributed to the Cards releasing him). There is a reason SD let him go. I have seen him play. He is not going to bat well, not that much better than Pie, and probably worse than Reed. Why in the world would we stunt the growth of a prospect we have been raving about for 5 years, for an old, decling, has-been, ex-power hitter with little power, center fielder.

Oh, and did I mention he has been injury-prone as of late?

Comment

This is a lot like when we shoved aside Marshall at the end of last year for Steve Trachsel, then were shocked when Trachsel got out there and lost games. As long as we don't give up Johnson or Pie altogether, it's no big deal. It'll pass. He'll play for two weeks, pull his old man muscle, have a beer or two and call Lou Tony, and then all will be right with the world again.

Hell, give Cedeno the CF job. He's our 8th best hitter right now.

Comment

I've wondered many times as to why we never pushed towards getting Josh Hamilton before he got sent to Texas. He's tearing it up now and playing CF. I guess maybe Cincy wouldn't trade him within the division though. Of course, if Texas keeps declining, who knows what could happen by July.

Comment

At first, I was opposed to this; Edmonds hasn't exactly impressed lately. But I like the series of moves that would happen with this low-risk investment.

1. PIE TO MINORS: I am a big Pie fan, he should be our starter. He needs a month to get his stroke back. He needs AB's somewhere.
                  2. FUKU UP IN ORDER: How many RBI's will Lee/A-Ram get with Fuku and his .400+ OBP in front of them? Fuku has little HR power, but the guy is on base all the time.
                  3. BETTER D THAN REED: Edmonds plays a better CF than Mr. Johnson.

THE BEST THAT CAN HAPPEN: He is the next Gary Gaetti sigining. Hits well, plays a good CF.

THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN: Edmonds plays a better CF than Johnson, tanks at the plate, gets cut, and Pie is back in his place next month. No harm.

I like Reed Johnson, but Reed is basically Damon Buford. I love Reed on my bench, and he is an excellent 4th OF; but not a starting CF.

Comment

Bringing in Edmonds might be a pretty clear signal that Cubs brass have little faith in Pie developing into a productive everyday player.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Likewise, everybody else cutting Edmonds might be a pretty clear signal that everybody else's brass has little faith in Edmonds developing into a productive anyday player.

Comment

There's not much Pie's going to prove to Lou going down to AAA. He hit .362/.410/.563 in AAA in a third of a season in 2007, and Lou wouldn't commit to giving him a hard look this year. If he repeats those numbers in AAA, I don't know why Lou would be more inclined to commit to him again.

A lot of people applaud Lou for "riding the hot hand", but to me, he's a dime a dozen manager. He's not riding the hot hand when it comes to the struggling stars of the team, like Soriano. It's the guys that haven't proven themselves that Lou will go with whoever's streaking. In my view, that's managing so as not to be second guessed. No one would question him for being patient with Soriano, but being patient with youngsters is a far different story.

If he had any real guts, he'd pick the young guys that should have the ability to succeed, and give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while.
                        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                          If he had any real guts, he'd pick the young guys that should have the ability to succeed, and give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while.
                          even when they look brutally overmatched?

fine pie can hit in the minors. his swing in the majors looks terrible, and he needs work on it. do the cubs have the luxury of allowing him to learn on the job?

Soriano has a track record, Pie doesnt, so he obviously gets the benefit of the doubt when struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                            even when they look brutally overmatched?

fine pie can hit in the minors. his swing in the majors looks terrible, and he needs work on it. do the cubs have the luxury of allowing him to learn on the job?

Soriano has a track record, Pie doesnt, so he obviously gets the benefit of the doubt when struggling.
                            Pie's had 63 ABs, and they were sporadic ABs at that. 63 ABs is roughly 15 or 16 games. Anyone can look terrible for that short of a stretch. A streaky player like Pie needs his ABs to get into a groove. If he looks lost after a lot of starts, then fine, send him down. Justin Upton got the benefit of the doubt last year, never looking back once he was called up. He played essentially every day after being called up in August, despite hitting .221/.283/.364, and this is from the RF position. He's paying dividends now. This year, the Rays have gone one step further, and signed Longoria long term despite his early struggles. I'm not saying Pie is Upton or Longoria, but the point is a player that was the top rated Cubs prospect doesn't have to have a track record in the MLB to justify a long look, which he isn't getting.

If we were picking up Crisp, then I'd be ok with it. Edmonds? C'mon. He's not the defender that he used to be, and definitely not the defender Pie is now. He's not even hitting as well as Pie, and he's had more ABs than Pie.
                            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Edmonds

Originally posted by Spieluhr View Post
                              The Sun-Times and Dave Van Dyck are reporting that the Cubs are seriously looking at Jim Edmonds pending a physical and him clearing waivers on Wed., meaning Pie is likely to be heading back down.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...8.article#Vote
                              EDMONDS IS JUST A SHADOW OF HIMSELF....HE COULDNT HANDLE PETCO'S OUTFIELD....PERHAPS WRIGLEY, SMALLER FIELD...ABLE TO GET TO THE BALL. SOME GUYS JUST DONT KNOW WHEN TO HANG IT UP:dismay:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X