Who do you want at 2nd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you want at 2nd?

I want Todd Walker. He is much better than the others.
    Walker
    72.00%
    Hairston
    16.00%
    Perez
    12.00%

The poll is expired.

"I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

I want Perez' glove at second. At the plate, maybe not so much. Too bad they can't pinch hit for him every at bat.
    Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Of course Walker if healthy, his defense isn't that awful to account for putting average major league hitters like Perez or Hairston there.

If Dusty wants to put those guys in in the 8th with the lead, no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
        Of course Walker if healthy, his defense isn't that awful to account for putting average major league hitters like Perez or Hairston there.

If Dusty wants to put those guys in in the 8th with the lead, no problem with that.
        Walker is definately the best overall fit into the lineup with his lefthanded bat and power but his defense at second rates along the lines of one of the worst in MLB today. And with the Cubs new found emphasis on defense and speed, Hairston looks like he's going to give Walker a run for his money in the starting spot.

Jerry played last year with a serious ankle injury that he kept hidden for the majority of the season. And despite Hairston's first go around in the NL, he put up admirable numbers .261/.336/.368/.704 with AVG/OBP numbers that will likely go up in 2006. While Walker put up a good line as well, .305/.355/.474/.829, he missed significant time for the second year in a row.

Here is their 2005 season compared:

Player G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS
        Hairston 114 380 51 99 25 2 4 30 31 46 8 9
        Walker 110 397 50 121 25 3 12 40 31 40 1 1
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

The only reason Todd Walker missed time is because Carlos Lee slid feet up into Walker's legs. I have a feeling the same thing would have happened to Hairston in that situation.

I want Walker, but apparently the Cubs don't.
          EAMUS CATULI!
          AC036198

Comment

I want Walker. What he lacks in defense, he more than makes up for in offense. (provided Carlos Lee doesn't get in his way)

Comment

The only reason Todd Walker missed time is because Carlos Lee slid feet up into Walker's legs. I have a feeling the same thing would have happened to Hairston in that situation.
              I don't think it would have. Hairston would've jumped over or got out of Lee's way. Todd stood there and paid the price. He may have intended to get out of the way... if so, he wasn't fast enough to do it.
              beware of the censorship police

Comment

Its simple, take Walker out of the lineup when Lee is playing. I really think we should get Walker in at 2nd. The vote seems loppsided. Also Hairston had 8 SB and 9 CS. Not a good percentage for speed.
                "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I'd like to see Hairston, at least in a platoon. He claims he was nursing an injury last year and he certainly looks slimmer and in much better shape this spring than he did at any point last year. I think if healthy, Hairston will probably carry an OBP similar to Walker with much better defense. The only advantage Walker has is power and he swings lefty.
                  Hairston's 3 year splits show that his offensive production is far superior when he plays 2B, as opposed to the OF. Plus they show that Jerry needs to get to bed at night so he can play day baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by burger eater
                    Plus they show that Jerry needs to get to bed at night so he can play day baseball.
                    we said that about kyle for a long time. some players just cant do it for whatever reason. hopefully hairston learns as he is no longer a kid.

Comment

Jerry's only been here for 1 season. Farns was missing a few marbles... he liked the night life, bar fighting scene.
                      Moises & D-Lee both had big second years in Chicago. Hopefully Hairston falls in this category.

Comment

Originally posted by burger eater
                        Jerry's only been here for 1 season. Farns was missing a few marbles... he liked the night life, bar fighting scene.
                        Moises & D-Lee both had big second years in Chicago. Hopefully Hairston falls in this category.
                        Moises had a big third year, his second year (2003) was serviceable but unimpressive.
                        EAMUS CATULI!
                        AC036198

Comment

Something to also consider is that Walker may be traded before the season opens:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

Talks between the Orioles and Chicago Cubs about the long-discussed Luis Matos-for-Todd Walker swap have intensified the past couple of days, according to industry sources. The holdup appears to be the Orioles' unwillingness to pick up the entire $2.5 million contract for the Cubs second baseman, who makes about $900,000 more than Matos.
                          Walker, 32, who is competing for Chicago's starting second base job, hit .305 last season with 12 homers and 40 RBIs. Orioles officials view the left-handed hitter mostly as a designated hitter who could give Perlozzo another good bat off the bench. Walker also could provide some infield insurance if Roberts isn't ready for Opening Day.

Matos, currently playing for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, is behind Corey Patterson in the duel to win the club's starting center-field job

Comment

Moises had a big third year, his second year (2003) was serviceable but unimpressive.
                            You're right, 2004 was his explosive year. For some reason, I keep thinking he did that in 2003.
                            Though I was impressed with 2003... I thought he was done after 2002. I thought he was on the juice after 2004.

Comment

Offense vs Defense

The bottom line is the question of offense vs defense. Solid fundamental baseball will win championships. I voted for Hairston not because I don't like Walker but because I think Hairston has the potential to put up similar numbers as Walker but far exceed Walker on the defensive end.

The Cubs need to really stick to the defense and speed formula. It works, it really does.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X