Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Heading to the Doc

Full article at http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines

MESA, Ariz. -- Cubs right-hander Mark Prior left camp with shoulder soreness Tuesday morning and will be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles Wednesday.

Prior was playing long toss before a scheduled bullpen session at Cubs camp Tuesday when he complained of discomfort in the posterior of his right shoulder.

Guess our buddy Will Carroll was right on. Thanks a lot, Mr. Hendry and Mr. Baker.... You sold your 2.5 million tickets, now you can finally tell us the truth you've been hiding for weeks. This has put me over the top... I absolutely refuse to support this team with my money until they can learn how to be honest with their fans, the most loyal in professional sports.

PS -- D-Lee is going to visit the Doc too...

I've about had it with Mark Prior and the entire organization and their lying ways. Why did I even bother buying them Cubs tickets?
    Witnessing a team doing a complete 180 since the 2003 playoffs...

Comment

if this is an actual pitching injury, then there are only two reasons i can come up with as to how Prior developed the injury (since his mechanics are near perfect)

1. bad genetic makeup (unlikely me thinks)

2. too many innings/pitches to quickly. read as, too many pitches/innings at too young an age. dating back to being like 9 years old or whenver he first started.
      RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
      Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
      Infamous butcher,
      Angel of Death

Comment

*yawn* i wasnt relying on him to make 30 starts this year anyways. i'll be happy if he can make 25.

edit - how many of those 2.5 million seats were sold before free agency even started in earnest? yep, probably close to 2 million. thats from season tix.
        Last edited by rockin500; 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM.

Comment

This is bad news for Cubs fans. I guess we will have to move Prior into the Kerry Wood category. Forget about him until he shows up and appreciate anything you get. Makes you appreciate Zambrano that much more.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

People are jumping the gun on this much too soon after being burned by management previously. But Prior pitched numerous times since Carroll's accusation in early Feb when Mark was held back due to a serious respiratory infection that held back his offseason workouts. He had no shoulder ailment until recently when working in a simulated game, his first of the spring.

As of right now the injury is nothing more than "soreness", we'll know more in the coming days. And if the MRI tommorrow concludes there is no structural damage, Prior will not have to start his throwing program from the beginning, putting his return back from April 5th to a few weeks later. If the worst case scenerio happens and Prior has a damaged or torn rotator cuff, the Cubs season just got a little darker than it already was. The only silver lining is that we have other young arms that can fill in and should get their shot, ala Angel Guzman and Rich Hill.

On a side note and a much much more concerning side, Derrek Lee is seeing the same orthodepic doctor as Prior for his bum shoulder that he injuried in the WBC. Unlike a possible loss of Prior, the Cubs cannot lose Lee for any major stretch of the season. They could get away with Sing for a short time but Lee is vital to the infield defense and offense.
            Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 03-15-2006, 12:06 AM.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

2-man rotation

Z
              Maddux

Z wins 65 games and pitches 550 innings. He loses the Cy Young because the Cubs finish in 4th.
              beware of the censorship police

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                People are jumping the gun on this much too soon after being burned by management previously. But Prior pitched numerous times since Carroll's accusation in early Feb when Mark was held back due to a serious respiratory infection that held back his offseason workouts. He had no shoulder ailment until recently when working in a simulated game, his first of the spring.

As of right now the injury is nothing more than "soreness", we'll know more in the coming days. And if the MRI tommorrow concludes there is no structural damage, Prior will not have to start his throwing program from the beginning, putting his return back from April 5th to a few weeks later. If the worst case scenerio happens and Prior has a damaged or torn rotator cuff, the Cubs season just got a little darker than it already was. The only silver lining is that we have other young arms that can fill in and should get their shot, ala Angel Guzman and Rich Hill.

On a side note and a much much more concerning side, Derrek Lee is seeing the same orthodepic doctor as Prior for his bum shoulder that he injuried in the WBC. Unlike a possible loss of Prior, the Cubs cannot lose Lee for any major stretch of the season. They could get away with Sing for a short time but Lee is vital to the infield defense and offense.
                Lee has already seen the doctor-he went on wednesday and should be fine...he said if he doesn't feel back to normal by thurs he won't play in the US-Mexico game and if they should advance he'll consider dropping out

but no serious problem was found, just natural soreness

Comment

Originally posted by redwhitenblue
                  Lee has already seen the doctor-he went on wednesday and should be fine...he said if he doesn't feel back to normal by thurs he won't play in the US-Mexico game and if they should advance he'll consider dropping out

but no serious problem was found, just natural soreness
                  It's not Wednesday yet, so how could he have seen him?...

Here's the Trib article on Lee

Yocum has not given his diagnosis yet nor determined if Lee will have to have an MRI or arthogram.
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

The only silver lining is that we have other young arms that can fill in and should get their shot, ala Angel Guzman and Rich Hill.
                    May as well get those innings out of Guzman before he gets injured. If he goes down again, at least he'll do it while helping the Cubs. Who knows, maybe he'll fulfill his destiny and be the guy we know he could be. He has to stay healthy at some point... right?... maybe?
                    Is it possible Marshall would be called up before Hill? Probably not with Hill's age difference, plus at some point the Cubs have to find out if Guzman & Hill will sink or float.
                    beware of the censorship police

Comment

Back to an original assessment on Prior when he showed up for spring training with arm problems last year. Oh, no sorry, that was uh . . . something else, uh. . . it's not his fault . . . uh . . . just precautionary uh . . . can't wait to hear what else . . .

How can your top pitcher show up to spring training with arm problems? What does he do during the offseason? How can they not work with him to get him ready to play baseball? For me this is just another indication that the Cubs organization is completely disfunctional.

Essentially he has been hurt for over two years without an indication of what's wrong.

Z and Madduz, wow.

Comment

And here is some stuff from Trib writer Phil Rogers for those that believe this all goes back to Riggleman:

"It's fair to ask about how many pitches I let Woody throw that year, and what effect it might have had on him," Riggleman, now a top assistant in the St. Louis Cardinals' farm system, said last spring. "But the only time people seemed to be upset was when I took him out of the game. That's when I heard it from the fans and when I got asked questions by reporters. Nobody seemed to care when I left him in."

No, they didn't. Everyone has too good of a time to sweat the details when the Cubs win.

But let's recap.

In 1998, Wood threw 120-plus pitches in nine of his 26 starts, including 135 just before he was sidelined with the elbow injury that would lead to Tommy John surgery. In 2003, Wood went 120-plus in 14 of 36 starts overall, including five of six in one late-season stretch. Prior, who had been shut down the previous September as a supposed precaution, threw 120 or more pitches 10 times in his 33 starts, including five of his last six regular-season starts.

While Wood led the majors with 4,007 total pitches that season, Prior averaged 114.2 per start, the most in the majors. Neither has held together for very long since then.

Baker never has been a believer in strict pitch counts, saying he gets to know a pitcher and gives him what his body can stand. He has put just as heavy a load on Carlos Zambrano as Prior and Wood, and so far Zambrano just keeps raising his profile."

Aren't these guys supposed to be baseball managers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                          It's not Wednesday yet, so how could he have seen him?...

Here's the Trib article on Lee

Yocum has not given his diagnosis yet nor determined if Lee will have to have an MRI or arthogram.
                          Derrek Lee visited Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday after he bruised his left shoulder in Sunday's WBC game against Japan.
                          Lee was hurt on an excellent catch in foul territory, but he wasn't forced to leave the game. He's expected to be just fine. Mar. 14 - 8:17 pm et

per rotoworld

Comment

Derrek Lee will not play for Team USA on Thursday after undergoing an MRI on his left shoulder.
                            Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said Wednesday that Lee is having a problem similar to what he experienced last July, which forced him to miss three games. "He has some wear and tear in his left shoulder," O'Neal said. "He obviously irritated it again on that dive the other night against Japan. They injected it and did an MRI arthrogram and basically confirmed the diagnosis that Dr. (Lewis) Yocum felt going into the MRI." Lee received an injection for the shoulder and could return for the semifinals. It's not his throwing shoulder, so this isn't much of a source of concern entering the season. Mark Teixeira will play first base again tomrorow. Mar. 15 - 2:17 pm et

Comment

Originally posted by redwhitenblue
                              Derrek Lee will not play for Team USA on Thursday after undergoing an MRI on his left shoulder.
                              Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said Wednesday that Lee is having a problem similar to what he experienced last July, which forced him to miss three games. "He has some wear and tear in his left shoulder," O'Neal said. "He obviously irritated it again on that dive the other night against Japan. They injected it and did an MRI arthrogram and basically confirmed the diagnosis that Dr. (Lewis) Yocum felt going into the MRI." Lee received an injection for the shoulder and could return for the semifinals. It's not his throwing shoulder, so this isn't much of a source of concern entering the season. Mark Teixeira will play first base again tomrorow. Mar. 15 - 2:17 pm et
                              but wouldnt it affect him swinging the bat? at least its not anything more severe than that, though

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X