• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker to Orioles?

From CBS Sportsline

Walker to Orioles? Updated 3/17/06

Walker, Todd 2B CHC

News: The Baltimore Sun reports 2B Todd Walker is said to be in a proposed deal with Baltimore for OF Luis Matos. 2B Jerry Hairston Jr. would likely become the Cubs starter and Matos would take over for OF Matt Murton.

Analysis: Walker would be insurance for 2B Brian Roberts (elbow) who just started baseball activities. Matos could take over for OF Matt Murton for the Cubs. 2B Jerry Hairston Jr. would be likely to assume the second base role if the trade goes through.
    Last edited by Uncle Dak; 03-17-2006, 09:46 AM.

Anybody contemplating playing Matos, a career OPS of .695,over Murton should be shot. Isn't it more likely that Hairston goes to 2nd and Matos goes to CF and Murton stays in LF??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

If this were true, then Patterson and Walker end up with the Orioles, and the Cubs end up with Luis Matos. Go figure.

Comment

Irony=the orioles sent us 2 2B last year for Sosa, now they are in need of a 2B while roberts recovers

hahah

if matos came over i would think he wouldn't be anything more than a 5th OF if he even made the ML club...he's nice but really-he was losing the starting CF job to patterson, how can he possibly take over for murton

Comment

Yeah whoever wrote this that Murton would lose his job to Matos is an idiot.

If the Cubs wanted someone like Matos to play LF they would have just kept Patterson and switched him over.

Matos is Pattersons backup I doubt Murton has much to worry about.

Comment

I looked for the link, but could not find the story, mind sharing it with us here?
            BELIEVE

Comment

Walker-Matos deal?
              Talks between the Orioles and Chicago Cubs about the long-discussed Luis Matos-for-Todd Walker swap have intensified the past couple of days, according to industry sources. The holdup appears to be the Orioles' unwillingness to pick up the entire $2.5 million contract for the Cubs second baseman, who makes about $900,000 more than Matos.

Walker, 32, who is competing for Chicago's starting second base job, hit .305 last season with 12 homers and 40 RBIs. Orioles officials view the left-handed hitter mostly as a designated hitter who could give Perlozzo another good bat off the bench. Walker also could provide some infield insurance if Roberts isn't ready for Opening Day.

Matos, currently playing for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, is behind Corey Patterson in the duel to win the club's starting center-field job.
              http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball
              BELIEVE

Comment

This makes sense. The Cubs trade Corey Patterson for a whole bunch of nothing in the offseason, then trade Todd Walker, a .300-hitting 15-homer guy at one of the weakest offensive positions on the field for a guy who is currently slated to LOSE the starting CF job to Patterson. That would be SO Cubs.
                EAMUS CATULI!
                AC036198

Comment

I definetly like Matos' speed, but i just don't see him getting ahead of Matt Murton on the depth chart. Esspicially with Pierre, Cedeno and Hairston in the lineup, we really wouldn't be too desperate for much more speed in the lineup.
                  Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ndistops
                    This makes sense. The Cubs trade Corey Patterson for a whole bunch of nothing in the offseason, then trade Todd Walker, a .300-hitting 15-homer guy at one of the weakest offensive positions on the field for a guy who is currently slated to LOSE the starting CF job to Patterson. That would be SO Cubs.
                    That is, to the letter, exactly how I feel.

Comment

Cubs Eager for Matos

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X