Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like Steve Stone was right...again...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Steve Stone was right...again...

Remember about a month ago Steve Stone mentioned on his radio show that he thought something looked wrong with Mark Prior's mechanics??? It was not only adamently denied by Prior, but when Kerry Wood was asked about Prior based on Stone's observations, Wood said something like, "Oh, is that guy still around?" in reference to Stone. Several others from the Cubs' dugout made similar comments.

Recent news about Prior's shoulder and his DL listing for the season opener proved Stone was right and deserved more respect.

Personally, I'm a HUGE Stece Stone fan because he's one of the brightest baseball men on the airwaves. He's always a gentleman and didn't deserve the comments.

Don't get me wrong....I"M SORRY he's right and wish Prior could pitch the second game. Z definitely deserves the honor of opening day duties. :gt
    Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Originally posted by baseballwise
    Remember about a month ago Steve Stone mentioned on his radio show that he thought something looked wrong with Mark Prior's mechanics??? It was not only adamently denied by Prior, but when Kerry Wood was asked about Prior based on Stone's observations, Wood said something like, "Oh, is that guy still around?" in reference to Stone. Several others from the Cubs' dugout made similar comments.

Recent news about Prior's shoulder and his DL listing for the season opener proved Stone was right and deserved more respect.

Personally, I'm a HUGE Stece Stone fan because he's one of the brightest baseball men on the airwaves. He's always a gentleman and didn't deserve the comments.

Don't get me wrong....I"M SORRY he's right and wish Prior could pitch the second game. Z definitely deserves the honor of opening day duties. :gt
    actually stone said something was wrong with prior's shoulder that the cubs organization was lying about, and that followed by him saying prior's mechanics weren't perfect...great to hear about bad mechanics and underperforming pitchers from a guy who, before his only great season in 1980(which was his second to last) was a 78-79, 4.06 ERA pitcher...there are about 50 pitchers in the bigs who could duplicate/outperform him who we've never heard of, he walked too much as a pitcher and the fact that he continually blasts prior and wood is ridiculous

let's not forget kerry's comment was a joking jab and wasn't vicious, it was mischevious...stone then came out vicious on the airwaves...quite a cowardly move

Comment

Stone is by far praised too much by Cubdom fans, claims of him being the best mind on the mic are far from the truth. He just can't go away. What I find funny is that he wants a GM job and thinks it should be handed to him, but the fact remains that he has little to no experience in management; and no team wants to give him an opportunity. If Stone, like Marshall, actually knew what they were talking about they would be employed by a major league club for their services.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Hey, Bob Sac....... I disagree about Stone being praised far too much....but I do agree that he's kinda silly to want a GM job as a gift without paying his dues in that aspect of the game.......

As for Redwhitenblue (love your moniker), I assumed Kerry was above clubhouse jabs....so I hope his humor was involved in the comment. However, your remark about Stonie's final stats is a bit off base in this context...don'tca think....since he also was injured....and since there are zilliions of baseball analysts who never threw a pitch or played an inning....as long as people have expertise their opinions count....don'tcha think?????

Sadly, Stonie overstepped his bounds as announcer during his final season with the Cubs....at least according to Baker and certain players who found his observations hitting too close to home....but the team needs to lay off and let the man do his job. Bottom line...whether you love the man or hate him....he was right.......

Comment

Sadly, Stonie overstepped his bounds as announcer during his final season with the Cubs
          He did nothing of the sort. He did the exact same thing that he had done every season, said exactly what was on his mind and called the game how it was, with no sugarcoating.

He wasn't paid to be a cheerleader, he was paid to be an announcer. That's exactly what he did. Accurately, fairly, honestly. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I'm not saying he is free from blame in all the events that have happened since he left the Cubs booth, and I'm not sure he has the kind of skills to be a GM, but he is a damn fine broadcaster.
          Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Yeah I think Stone has a right to say what he wants to say. Just like Billy Packer. There seems to be this idea that every reporter should be a 'kiss ass' and the Cubs even have one on staff at cubs.com in Carrie Muskat.

A reporter/broadcaster should be able to say the team sucks if the team sucks. Its a shame that that ability seems to be slipping away.

Comment

The Cubs should have sucked it up and proven him wrong.
              Stone can say what he wants. It's amazing at how thin skinned these million dollar athletes are.

Comment

Stone is an outstanding analyst, better than anyone you'll ever hear on ESPN. Stone's problem is and always will be that he's not a company man and won't kiss ass. He deserves every bit of praise he gets. He may come off as snobbish and vindictive now, but he's one of the best analysts around. I'd say the best. I was glad he called the Cubs out in 2004. It was embarrassing to watch that team complain, collapse and point fingers like they did.
                beware of the censorship police

Comment

Steve Stone is almost always right about baseball. I wonder why more people don't listen to what he says.

Comment

I'm embarassed to say I agree with both Burgereater AND Slightly Sarcastic for once.

All kidding aside, I was ashmed of how the Cubs handled the Steve Stone/Skip Carey situation 2 years ago. The announcers should be able to say what they need to say and not worry about the players and manager getting upset. I do draw the line at insults and insubordination, but that is not what happened. The Cubs and Tribune company hired 2 guys that are expected to be "homers".

Steve Stone's record when he pitched has nothing to do with his ability to evaluate a pitcher. If you use career stats to define whether someone is qualified to make that call you better check Major league record of Leo Mazzone who most will say is one of the best pitching coaches in the game (you won't find anything, he never pitched in the majors)

Comment

Yeah, the Skip/Stoney episode was pretty sad. I decided to listen to the radio and mute the TV from that point on.

Speaking of homers, Santo is quite possibly the biggest homer ever to call a ballgame, but he is great at it.
                      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Right on, cubmanjay!!! The Cubs handled the Steve Stone affair miserably at best. Now that they tried to hide Prior's situation until Stonie revealed it, and a few other things, I'm having serious questions about the integrity of the organization. I've been a fan of the TEAM for a zillion years and will continue to be 'cause it's in my blood now, but the organization is showing itself to be mediocre. h

Comment

Right on, cubmanjay!!! The Cubs handled the Steve Stone affair miserably at best. Now that they tried to hide Prior's situation until Stonie revealed it, and a few other things, I'm having serious questions about the integrity of the organization. I've been a fan of the TEAM for a zillion years and will continue to be 'cause it's in my blood now, but the organization is showing itself to be mediocre. h
                          until Stonie revealed it?...what the hell did stonie reveal?

Comment

The Cubs deny Stonie's existance... when asked about "Steve Stone", the Cubs' disinformation minister had this to say: "No one by that name ever worked for us. Steve Stone doesn't exist. Mark Prior is not injured and he never was. He's on a new, experimental program this year where he'll begin the season on the DL in hopes of avoiding injury. When we're confident that he's ready to not be injured, he'll join the rotation."
                            beware of the censorship police

Comment

i didnt care for how the cubs handled Stone, but i certainly didnt mind their handling of chip. I dont miss chip at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X