• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of bad luck for Cubs, Perez goes down - UPDATE: April Fools Joke

Neifi is going to be out for awhile heres the AP story
    Cubs' Perez out 2-to-3 months
    By R.B. Fallstrom, AP Sports Writer | April 1, 2006

Las Vegas -- Chicago Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez will be sidelined at least two to three months because of a torn left groin.
    Perez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday, two days after he got hurt while leaving the dugout during a game against San Diego. Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said the muscle pulled away from the bone.
    The Cubs, doctors and Perez will decide in the next 10 days whether an operation is needed.
    "The surgery is really going to be determined by is it something that Perez wants to do," O'Neal said. "We're trying to make a determination of what would be the most predictable outcome."
    If Perez opts for surgery, O'Neal said the procedure should be done fairly soon so the muscle heals properly.
    "It's a setback," manager Dusty Baker said. "We don't know yet what is going to happen. We'll have to wait and see."
    Perez was carried off the field after losing his footing coming out of the dugout and collapsing just in front of the dugout in the third inning. Perez is hitting just .279 with seven RBIs this spring.
    For now, Chicago will have to make do with Ronny Cedeno at shortstop and Todd Walker at second base.
    "It's always a loss to lose a player like that," outfielder John Mabry said. "Absolutely, it hurts. We'll have to carry on and hope he gets back as soon as he can."
    "I'm not going to blame the stadium," he said. "The dugout was in great condition, the grounds crew did a great job, and the steps were definitely dry and all of that stuff. I just slipped."
    The injury is the latest in a series of setbacks for the Chicago Cubs since they won NL Division title in 2003. Earlier in the week Cubs starters Mark Prior and Kerry Wood were place on the disabled list.
    After Fridays game, Baker didn't think he was snakebit.
    "It's unfortunate," he said. "You hate for him to go down. Everything has been going well, and now this unfortunate thing happens."

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
    Neifi is going to be out for awhile heres the AP story
    OK I am going with "April Fools"??!?!

???

Or is this for real?
    BELIEVE

Comment

If this is really true, then I call this good luck.
      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
        If this is really true, then I call this good luck.
        You don't mean that.

Why is it that everyone is on the Treat Perez like Jose Macias all of a sudden?

He was not a part of the problems from last years team, IN NO WAY.

Plus, you want him to be hurt? so we can not use him as trade bait to get a player that we need to fill a gap? (in a package deal)

that is a shame, that anyone would say it is "good luck" for a player to get hurt and go down...
        BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
          You don't mean that.

Why is it that everyone is on the Treat Perez like Jose Macias all of a sudden?

He was not a part of the problems from last years team, IN NO WAY.

Plus, you want him to be hurt? so we can not use him as trade bait to get a player that we need to fill a gap? (in a package deal)

that is a shame, that anyone would say it is "good luck" for a player to get hurt and go down...
          Yeah, I do mean it.

Dusty can't get Neifi 350 AB's this year if he is hurt, and Dusty can't put Neifi's disasterous bat in the #2 spot if he is hurt. The less AB's Neifi gets, especially in the top part of the order, the better.

It is a shame that I see this as a good thing, but with Dusty's inexplicable love for him, this would be the only way to keep him out of the lineup 4-5 days a week. And that is a good thing.
          Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Comment

Yeah, I do mean it.

Dusty can't get Neifi 350 AB's this year if he is hurt, and Dusty can't put Neifi's disasterous bat in the #2 spot if he is hurt. The less AB's Neifi gets, especially in the top part of the order, the better.

It is a shame that I see this as a good thing, but with Dusty's inexplicable love for him, this would be the only way to keep him out of the lineup 4-5 days a week. And that is a good thing.
            you will wish you had a healthy nefi if cedano cant settle down or he is injured........
            Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Senior skittles
              you will wish you had a healthy nefi if cedano cant settle down or he is injured........
              No, I won't.

I'll take Hairston and Walker in the middle infield over seeing Neifi get consistant AB's. And it's not even close.

Comment

"Perez was carried off the field after losing his footing coming out of the dugout and collapsing just in front of the dugout in the third inning."

not even a good april fools day joke, neifi didn't play in the third inning yesterday, cedeno was still in

Comment

It is April Fool's. We all know only the Cubs stars get hurt.
                  EAMUS CATULI!
                  AC036198

Comment

Neifi Perez has no trade value. They only way he gets traded is if the Cubs throw in a real prospect and some cash. The Cubs made him even more untradeable by giving him an absurd multi-year contract. Nobody is going to want Neifi.

Cedeno playing .240 ball with good defense is the same if not better then having Neifi starting at SS. At least with Ronny they would bury him in the back of the lineup instead of giving him the #2 slot where the damage Neifi would inflict would bleed a lot more.

Comment

this is an April Fools joke.
                      has to be, they did not talk about it on todays game... and they said again the roster is set.

Check your source.
                      BELIEVE

Comment

No, I won't.

I'll take Hairston and Walker in the middle infield over seeing Neifi get consistant AB's. And it's not even close.
                        nefi
                        G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
                        154 572 59 157 33 1 9 54 219 18 47 8 4 .298 .383 .274
                        hariston
                        114 380 51 99 25 2 4 30 140 31 46 8 9 .336 .368 .261
                        walker
                        110 397 50 121 25 3 12 40 188 31 40 1 1 .355 .474 .305

welll acording to these stats neifi would start over hariston at short

haristons obp is higher but otherwise neifi has the edge in every other stat
                        Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
                          this is an April Fools joke.
                          has to be, they did not talk about it on todays game... and they said again the roster is set.

Check your source.

I assumed it was, but it would still be nice if I could be assured that Neifi wouldn't get any more than 75 AB's this year.

With that insane contract he got, it's near impossible that happens. But it's nice to dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Senior skittles
                            nefi
                            154 572 59 157 33 1 9 54 219 18 47 8 4 .298 .383 .274
                            hariston
                            114 380 51 99 25 2 4 30 140 31 46 8 9 .336 .368 .261
                            walker
                            110 397 50 121 25 3 12 40 188 31 40 1 1 .355 .474 .305

welll acording to these stats neifi would start over hariston at short

haristons obp is higher but otherwise neifi has the edge in every other stat
                            OBP is probably the most important stat of all of those you listed, especially in the #2 hole where his job is to get on base for the run producers. And the main reason Neifi has the edge in the others is because of that absurd number of AB's he got last year.

I stand by what I said before.

Comment

OBP is probably the most important stat of all of those you listed, especially in the #2 hole where his job is to get on base for the run producers. And the main reason Neifi has the edge in the others is because of that absurd number of AB's he got last year.

I stand by what I said before.
                              except hairston cant play shortstop. he isnt even all that good of a fielder at second base.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X