Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Curse of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"?

I was tempted to make this a poll but opted against it.

As most (if not all) Cub fans are aware, the Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908.

Today is the 101st anniversary of the day "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" was written. The song was written in Chicago by two fellas (lyricist Jack Norworth and composer Albert Von Tilzer) who had never been to a baseball game, yet it would become the biggest selling song of 1908. Norworth would eventually attend a game at Wrigley Field nearly 32 years later in July 1940 (Brooklyn won 5-4), and MLB awarded him with a free lifetime gold pass to any MLB game he wanted to attend. I'm not exactly sure how many games that turned out to be, but Jack Norworth lived through the 1959 season.

Point is, I've been mulling around in my mind this idea for a while now, and I thought it only appropriate to post it on the song's anniversary. I'm not superstitious in the slightest, and I don't believe in curses, but hey, if the Red Sox could have the "Curse of Babe Ruth," which, as we know, they overcame in 2004, what's to say that the Cubs can't have the "Curse of 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'"?

I would apply this whimsical theory as well to the White Sox had they also passed the 100-year mark, but their streak was broken in '05. And granted, that was a long streak too, but in the same amount of time, the Cubbies seem to have fallen to many more struggles, near misses, and heartbreaks than their crosstown rivals, and their streak continues. I may be mistaken, but I believe Cub fans to be much more loyal to their team than White Sox fans (no disrespect to White Sox fans intended).

Cub fans can rest assured that if it's not my own personal favorite team, I pull for the Cubs every year, especially if/when they make the postseason. I've known Cub fans to be some of the most loyal fans in the game (if not the most loyal), moreso especially since the day Brooklyn moved west. I feel in my heart Brooklyn's to have been the only other team's fans to come even close to loyalty on the Cub scale.

Being a longtime Met fan, I do know what loyalty means. But even more than in New York, I believe loyalty to the Cubs in Chicago to be virtually religious; a standard by which people are literally disowned by families if they alter their loyalties. Very seldom does one find that type of devotion found in New York. And kudos to all Cub fans for maintaining that loyalty! If I'd grown up and lived in the Chicago area, I think I'd be part of that unwavering devotion (the same as my devotion to the Mets remains through thick and thin; and if my children were to be Yankee fans, I'd most likely disown them, heh).

So, I've been wondering how Cub fans feel about this thought, much less how many even knew of the song's historic irony. Personally, I pull for the Cubs to break the theoretic "Curse of 'TMOTTBG'." And since the song was written in Chicago a mere two weeks following the end of the 1908 World Series, despite my disbelief in superstition, I can't help but notice the tangible irony.

Just thought I'd bring this notion to the table, and, again, if it's not my Metsies, may 101 years be as high as this streak goes.

:gt

------------------

Katie Casey was base ball mad
    Had the fever and had it bad
    Just to root for the home town crew
    Ev'ry sou*, Katie blew

On a Saturday, her young beau
    Called to see if she'd like to go
    To see a show but Miss Kate said
    "No, I'll tell you what you can do

Take me out to the ball game
    Take me out with the crowd
    Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack
    I don't care if I never get back
    Let me root, root, root for the home team
    If they don't win it's a shame
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out
    At the old ball game"

Katie Casey saw all the games
    Knew the players by their first names
    Told the umpire he was wrong
    All along, good and strong

When the score was just two to two
    Katie Casey knew what to do
    Just to cheer up the boys she knew
    She made the gang sing this song

"Take me out to the ball game
    Take me out with the crowd
    Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack
    I don't care if I never get back
    Let me root, root, root for the home team
    If they don't win it's a shame
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out
    At the old ball game"

~Norworth

* "Sou" is an antiquated and now-obsolete word that means cent. In more modern renditions of the song, "sou" is often changed to "cent," while "blew" is altered to "spent."
    Put it in the books.

More curse theories have been emerging in recent years. Last season, people were talking about the Curse of Fred Merkle. They've talked about that stupid goat for a while. Some people have even gone as far as blaming our inability to win a playoff game since 2003 with how the fans treated Steve Bartman. There's no end to the futility theories that have emerged with the Chicago Cubs.
    RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Venom View Post
      More curse theories have been emerging in recent years. Last season, people were talking about the Curse of Fred Merkle. They've talked about that stupid goat for a while. Some people have even gone as far as blaming our inability to win a playoff game since 2003 with how the fans treated Steve Bartman. There's no end to the futility theories that have emerged with the Chicago Cubs.
      While what you say may be true, this isn't a "curse" that arose in recent years. This "curse" -- again, I'm not superstitious -- has been "in effect" since two weeks after the 1908 WS.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Maybe it's really the curse of William Howard Taft. The Cubs won't win another World Series until another 300 lb president is elected.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
          Maybe it's really the curse of William Howard Taft. The Cubs won't win another World Series until another 300 lb president is elected.
          lol ...Quick, somebody feed lead weights to Obama!
          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
            Maybe it will just take a former president being appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Comment

The Curse of....

Perhaps the curse is be caused by the Cubs can't find anyone who could sing as elequently as Harry? I prefer to blame the Cubs woes on bad management.

Comment

Or we need to put Teddy Roosevelt back in the White House.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

This has to be one of the most interesting of all of the "curses", based on timing especially, and based on how, since Harry came here, that's one of the things the team has been known for (although the timing for that is nothing to really look at). Either way, I find this to be fairly interesting. I too don't believe in curses, but I'll take this for what it's worth. It makes more sense than a goat. The only other one that makes close to as much sense is the curse of Wrigley Field, since they haven't won a championship since they started playing there, but again, I don't believe in that sort of thing, it's all just for fun, although I'll state a hundred times when I talk about it that I don't believe in that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
                    This has to be one of the most interesting of all of the "curses", based on timing especially, and based on how, since Harry came here, that's one of the things the team has been known for (although the timing for that is nothing to really look at). Either way, I find this to be fairly interesting. I too don't believe in curses, but I'll take this for what it's worth. It makes more sense than a goat. The only other one that makes close to as much sense is the curse of Wrigley Field, since they haven't won a championship since they started playing there, but again, I don't believe in that sort of thing, it's all just for fun, although I'll state a hundred times when I talk about it that I don't believe in that stuff.
                    Finally, someone to come along who also acknowledges the bunk in curses yet simultaneously and quite pertinently recognizes the intrigue of the where and when, and in fact adds to it by noting that the Cubs (with due gratitude to the wonderfully lovable Mr. Caray) have become especially notable for the song, despite most every other team making its chorus a 7th inning ritual. ...And I'd have to agree that the only other "theory" to come close is the one surrounding Wrigley.

Thank you, Mild Sauce. I'd shake your hand if we were in the same room.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                      lol, or maybe elect Prince Fielder as president.

Comment

Stuff like this is what makes baseball so much fun. There is no other sport that people actually believe in curses. "The Curse of the Bambino" actually had a life of its own based on futility and just horrible luck. Every incident that happened through the years was blamed on that. Tony Conigliaro's beaning, the ejection of Roger Clemens during the ALCS, the ball rolling through Bill Buckner's legs, the Ed Armbrister/Carlton Fisk collision during the third game of the 1975 World Series, etc, the Bucky Dent home run, the Aaron Boone home run. The curse almost became folklore. If we really believed in that curse, I have something for everyone to ponder. Was it going to take the blood of a Yankee' player to break the curse? Remember when Jason Varitek drew blood from A-Rod in that brawl at Fenway. Was that the act that actually broke the curse? "The Curse of the Billy Goat" has been talked about for decades as well. I think that a lot of this stuff has actually gotten into the heads of the players. Some people really believe in this stuff and this is what makes baseball so much fun.

Comment

The Curse......

Ice82

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan.K View Post
                            lol, or maybe elect Prince Fielder as president.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X