No announcement yet.

Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed: 3B Derek Helenihi (NDFA—Louisiana State)
    Released: RHP Erik Hamren, RHP Billy Muldowney, RHP George Pineda, LHP Jayson Ruhlman, LHP Melvin Vasquez
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=7417

Comment

Cubs seem to really love going to that LSU well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
        Cubs seem to really love going to that LSU well.
        Hendry has had a close relationship with the LSU program along with Creighton, Kansas State, and Notre Dame for quite awhile due to his past in the scouting circle. Yet his close ties to Paul Mainieri (Notre Dame 1994-2006, LSU 2007-current) are obviously seen in today's game, Mainieri is one of Hendry's best scouts and he's not even being paid.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

From SI.com:

The Chicago Cubs have reached an agreement with free agent outfielder Marlon Byrd on a three-year, $15 million contract, SI.com has confirmed. The signing allows the Cubs to move Kosuke Fukudome from centerfield to rightfield, which is his preferred position.

The Cubs had been eyeing other available outfielders such as Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Melky Cabrera, but settled on the 32-year-old Byrd, who hit .283 with 20 home runs and 89 RBIs for the Rangers in 2009. He has also played with the Phillies and Nationals in his eight major league seasons and is capable of playing all three outfield spots.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0bIRCXBOL

Comment

After Cabrera went, I think Byrd was clearly the next best choice. I'm not in any way sold on Ankiel, and I think Podsednik wants too much and brings too many weakness to the table.

Byrd isn't a great fielder, but he's at least reliable out there. He's been very good the past few seasons, hitting over .280 last season with 20 home runs and 43 doubles, which are very nice numbers. His contract isn't horrible in any way, and to be honest, this signing reminds me of the Mark DeRosa one when it was made as Byrd is the same age DeRosa was as well as the contract is the same length and for a similar amount of money. DeRosa had just started to show signs of being able to be a good every day player while Byrd has been a solid most days type for a few years now. Also, they're both versatile players. While DeRosa is the ultimate utility man in the league, being able to play at least 6 positions, Byrd can at least play all of the outfield spots.

Bottom line, the guy can hit the ball, he's still got the same hitting coach, and he brings a good attitude to the team. He's not too old in baseball years, and won't be at the end of his deal. Just him allowing Fukudome to move back to right will be a huge boost to the defense, and from what I've seen of him, he's better than Bradley (and smarter) in the field. I'm very happy with this signing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
              Hendry has had a close relationship with the LSU program along with Creighton, Kansas State, and Notre Dame for quite awhile due to his past in the scouting circle. Yet his close ties to Paul Mainieri (Notre Dame 1994-2006, LSU 2007-current) are obviously seen in today's game, Mainieri is one of Hendry's best scouts and he's not even being paid.
              I thought I'd heard something like that before, but I wasn't sure. That's pretty interesting that Mainieri does that stuff for free though.

Comment

I thought I'd heard something like that before, but I wasn't sure. That's pretty interesting that Mainieri does that stuff for free though.
                It is beneficial to Mainieri. It makes recruiting talent easier if you have a pipeline to the majors.

Comment

Yeah, I can see that, but still, it's refreshing to see in a day and age where everyone seems to think they're entitled to so much that a guy does that for free with nothing more than some benefit to his program.

Comment

Yeah, I can see that, but still, it's refreshing to see in a day and age where everyone seems to think they're entitled to so much that a guy does that for free with nothing more than some benefit to his program.
                    A coach that has a pipeline to the majors is a coach that can get very good talent for his team. A coach that has very good talent on his team is going to have no trouble finding a job and will be well paid.

Comment

Cubs sign Bryan LaHair

CHICAGO -- The Cubs have signed first baseman Bryan LaHair to a Minor League contract and he'll be one of the non-roster invitees this spring.
                      http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Comment

I'd like to report that after this offseason, I am retiring from reporting the daily team by team transactions (and the Baseball Fever community breathes a collective sigh of relief). It takes far too long to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                          A coach that has a pipeline to the majors is a coach that can get very good talent for his team. A coach that has very good talent on his team is going to have no trouble finding a job and will be well paid.
                          I agree, but I just found it interesting still.

Comment

LHP James Russell assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            CF Matt Camp assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            SS Darwin Barney assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            C Chris Robinson assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            1B Blake Lalli assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            SS Starlin Castro assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            3B Josh Vitters assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            CF Brett Jackson assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            RF Brad Snyder assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            LHP J.R. Mathes assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            RHP Andrew Cashner assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            RHP Casey Coleman assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            RHP Thomas Diamond assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            C Robinson Chirinos assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            C Steve Clevenger assigned to Chicago Cubs.
                            Chicago Cubs signed free agent RHP Jeff Kennard.
                            Chicago Cubs signed free agent RHP Vince Perkins.
                            http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=1&year=2010

Comment

Cubs avoid arb with five

The Cubs had eight players file for salary arbitration, and were able to sign Jeff Baker, Mike Fontenot, Koyie Hill, Angel Guzman and Tom Gorzelanny to one-year deals on Tuesday.
                              http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Comment

Cubs sign Scott McClain

Third baseman Scott McClain is back, too, after spending last year with Hiroshima in Japan. McClain was a spring-training sensation a couple times earlier in the decade, and it seemed like he might damn near make the club one year out of camp. He did get into 13 games with the Cubs in 2005. He went to Japan last year after opening the season with the Giants' Class AAA club.
                                http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/3296

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X