The Cubs shouldn't have turned down Roy Halladay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cubs shouldn't have turned down Roy Halladay

So Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio said the Cubs new owner paid twice what the Cubs were worth and now we can look for no free agents anybody has heard of and higher ticket prices. He's probably right.

There was those rumors that the Bluejays approached the Cubbies about Roy Halladay both this year and last year and apparently they made some excuses not to get him.

How about you just write that check? The Cubs gotta be pulling in money hand over fist...spend some and be a world series contender, not a divisional contender which might be a stretch for the team as it sits. There's no small ball in Chicago!!

If the Cubs don't approve their starting pitching, the Cards are far and away the best team in the Central. Not even close.

Is this new owner broke?
    Why do our best players slump for 4 months a season?

This is unbelievable...we're going the way of the Pirates.

I WISH MARK CUBAN WOULD'VE BOUGHT THE CUBS!!!!!!

The Cubs have one of the highest payrolls in the game and will have one of the highest payrolls in the game next year as well.

Comment

Does anyone actually take a thing that Colin Cowherd says seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
        Does anyone actually take a thing that Colin Cowherd says seriously?
        No kidding. Just another talking head blowhard.

A point of note though is that the new owner has to pay off the loans he used to buy the team and that has to come out of the team's profits. This will weaken the Cubs ability to just spend money at will. Since this year's free agent market sucks that isn't a bad thing.

As for Cubs and Halladay it wasn't about money. First, Halladay has a no-trade clause in his contract. Two, the Cubs really don't have anything of trade value that would have enticed the Blue Jays to agree to a deal. No, they wouldn't accept Milton Bradley and Alphonso Soriano. Halladay is a megastud and if you wanted him last year you were going to have to pony up some real stuff.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Everybody has to payoff loans. The Cubs are in the same boat as everyone else. With the chief difference being that the new owners get to deduct 50% of the payroll as depreciation over the next 5 years. For a new owner there payroll isn't as high as it would be for an old owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawon-o-Meter View Post
            So Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio said the Cubs new owner paid twice what the Cubs were worth and now we can look for no free agents anybody has heard of and higher ticket prices. He's probably right.

There was those rumors that the Bluejays approached the Cubbies about Roy Halladay both this year and last year and apparently they made some excuses not to get him.

How about you just write that check? The Cubs gotta be pulling in money hand over fist...spend some and be a world series contender, not a divisional contender which might be a stretch for the team as it sits. There's no small ball in Chicago!!

If the Cubs don't approve their starting pitching, the Cards are far and away the best team in the Central. Not even close.

Is this new owner broke?
            Why do our best players slump for 4 months a season?

This is unbelievable...we're going the way of the Pirates.

I WISH MARK CUBAN WOULD'VE BOUGHT THE CUBS!!!!!!
            This is the stupidest thing I have heard all day, and I just got done reading the Jeter SI thread!

Could you give me a reason why the Cubs are going the way of the Pirates? We have got players, good players. We have had a winning record the last 3 years, with 2 playoff appearances.

We had a bad year last year cause we had too many key injuries and we had too many players with slumps and Soap Operas.

We wont be as good as we were in 2008, but 2010 is still something to look forward to.
            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97 View Post
              Could you give me a reason why the Cubs are going the way of the Pirates? We have got players, good players. We have had a winning record the last 3 years, with 2 playoff appearances.
              Well the Pirates are on the longest losing record streak in professional sports with 17 years and counting. But they have been developing their minor league system quite well over the past few years and recently have dealt off their veterans/young experienced players who were all looking at big pay raises for rising young talents who they have cheap for the next 4-6 years. Pittsburgh is on the rise in young talent yet so is much of the NL Central.

We had a bad year last year cause we had too many key injuries and we had too many players with slumps and Soap Operas.
              Good teams are built with depth that can step up when their starters go on the DL or struggle offensively, last year's club had little to any depth on the roster.

We wont be as good as we were in 2008, but 2010 is still something to look forward to.
              Why won't we be better in 2010 than 2008? We'll have Lee and Lilly facing their upcoming free agency offseason with both wanting a contract that takes them to the end of their career and likely their last seasons in Chicago. We'll also have players who can only rebound from poor seasons next year along with new players to contribute. Still the whole division is improving and some clubs will do so even more over the next five years. The good news is we have the best system in the NL Central with more higher end talent and depth than anyone else right now.
              What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
              Line Drive: .356
              HBP: .342
              Non-Intentional Walk: .315
              Intentional Walk: .176
              Outfield Fly: .035
              Groundball: -.101
              Bunts: -.103
              Infield Fly: -.243
              Strikeout: -.287
              It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                Well the Pirates are on the longest losing record streak in professional sports with 17 years and counting. But they have been developing their minor league system quite well over the past few years and recently have dealt off their veterans/young experienced players who were all looking at big pay raises for rising young talents who they have cheap for the next 4-6 years. Pittsburgh is on the rise in young talent yet so is much of the NL Central.

Good teams are built with depth that can step up when their starters go on the DL or struggle offensively, last year's club had little to any depth on the roster.

Why won't we be better in 2010 than 2008? We'll have Lee and Lilly facing their upcoming free agency offseason with both wanting a contract that takes them to the end of their career and likely their last seasons in Chicago. We'll also have players who can only rebound from poor seasons next year along with new players to contribute. Still the whole division is improving and some clubs will do so even more over the next five years. The good news is we have the best system in the NL Central with more higher end talent and depth than anyone else right now.
                Not saying it will happen again, but didnt the Pirates rebuild like 5 or 6 years ago?

And as for the 2010 comment, I didnt say they will be bad, but they will not have the same season as 2008. Kinda like 1969. It was a good stretch we had from '67 to '72 (in CUbs terms at least) and '69 just shined brighter than the rest. Not to take anything away from the other seasons, but one was the best, and during this current Cubs stretch, one season has to be the best, and I think 2008 was that season.

And as for 2008, we really did get lucky. We had players putting in career years (Dempster, DeRosa, Harden) and 2 of them three are gone. Teh Cardinals were not the threat they were last year (and they will remain a threat as long as Carpenter is healthy and if they sign Holliday), and we had some late signings, roll of the dice type kind players (Johnson, Edmonds) that performed better than anyone expected. and we had a terrific bullpen.

Again, I dont mean to say 2010 wont be good, I just dont think we will have the dominance like we had in 2008.
                "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

New Chicago Cubs acting lot like old ones

Comment

That article is a perfect example of what is so wrong with the Chicago media. I'm not sure exactly what he's going for with the article, but it at least shines a light on how impatient people are with these teams. We knew going into this season that the Cubs were not going to be doing a whole lot yet, and we also all know that Jim Hendry is still the guy pushing the buttons for the team. If it looks like the same Cubs, that's because it really pretty much still is at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
                      That article is a perfect example of what is so wrong with the Chicago media. I'm not sure exactly what he's going for with the article, but it at least shines a light on how impatient people are with these teams. We knew going into this season that the Cubs were not going to be doing a whole lot yet, and we also all know that Jim Hendry is still the guy pushing the buttons for the team. If it looks like the same Cubs, that's because it really pretty much still is at this point.
                      Exactly... I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for 2012 honestly with the Cubs. By that time, most of (if not all) the signing that the Tribune ownership made will be gone and Ricketts will surely have his people in the organization by then. It always takes a couple years for the new owners to completely taken over his team and have it his way.
                      "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                      Bo Jackson

Comment

So the Cubs are already a worse team than the Cards and they're gonna do nothing to improve on that? St Louis just offered Holliday a long-term contract and we're just gonna sit back and be spectators..amazing. The Cubs aren't in position to do that.

I'm normally optimistic but I don't see any reason to feel that way for this upcoming season. And all the talk about "the Cubs just need to stay healthy..." sounds great but it never happens.

Maybe Marlon Byrd will do us some good IF that happens..then again maybe the Cubs are broke.
                        Last edited by Shawon-o-Meter; 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I still don't see Holliday accepting any of the Cardinals offers. If he goes somewhere else and the Cubs get Byrd and stay at least relatively healthy (sure, injuries will always happen at one point or another), then I think they can reclaim that division.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X