english cub fan sayin hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• english cub fan sayin hi

glad i found this place...theres no one over here can understand my passion for baseball and all things cubbie....i saw my first ballgame in 89 while on dead tour ( a`s/yanks in oakland ) and my fist visit to the friendly confines was in 93....98 years is just tooooooo long
    wrigley field...good for what ails ya

Glad you found us!

enjoy your stay.
    BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by cubbieuk
      glad i found this place...theres no one over here can understand my passion for baseball and all things cubbie....i saw my first ballgame in 89 while on dead tour ( a`s/yanks in oakland ) and my fist visit to the friendly confines was in 93....98 years is just tooooooo long
      The Dead tour, we have something in common other than the Cubs...

As an American who has spent some time over the pond, I know what you're going through. The English don't really have an appreciation for baseball or american football; they more center on soccer. Wrigley Field is a place that any sports fan should visit, Cubs fan or no Cubs fan, the experience is unlike any other. And in the past few years we've actually trotted out decent teams unlike the 90's era where it was come see Sosa and watch us lose.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

i saw 59 dead shows between 89 & 94 but i found a love for baseball which has lasted...ryno is my all time fave cubbie as i never saw the likes of banks, santo, williams etc play

Comment

Originally posted by cubbieuk
          i saw 59 dead shows between 89 & 94 but i found a love for baseball which has lasted...ryno is my all time fave cubbie as i never saw the likes of banks, santo, williams etc play
          Well I can't compete with your total on the Dead Shows, because of my age (mid 20's), I never got to see the Grateful Dead, just post-Garcia, and it was great, I can only imagine and listen to tapers' concerts of the full Dead.

As for Ryno, he's my second all-time Cub that I remember seeing day in and day out. Gracie is by far my leading fav.
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

so hows it been on the north side since last oct ?....i know i was gutted to see the banner raised on the wrong side of chicago ...still i guess it`ll be good for sox revenue...now theyve won all the NEW sox fans will start flooding into the concrete mess over on 35th and shields

Comment

Good to hear from ya. Ya know, I am a frequent international traveler and I always wear my Cubs hat everywhere I go. People all over the world mention it to me when they see it. I remember walking through Narita Airport in Japan, wearing my Cubs hat and some guy saw it and said "Go Cubs!" I love it!
              Tinker, Evers, Chance & Steinfeldt: The nucleus of our elite World Series teams!!!!

Comment

Dead tour, dead show? Maybe a dumb question, but what is that?

Comment

I had tickets to a Dead show back in '93, but as me and my friend were walking around the arena, we realized the potential for profit when we saw all the signs asking for tickets.

We held the tickets up announcing they were for sale and we got swamped.
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Dead refers to an American Rock band called The Greatful Dead. Pretty big through the last quarter of the 20th century. Couple of their most famous songs are Touch of Grey, Truckin', and West L.A. Fadeway.

Don't know how much radioplay they would recieve in der Nederlanden, but if you download music they should be easy to find.
                    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                    AL Pennant: 1982
                    NL Central Champions: 2011
                    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudecar00
                        Dead refers to an American Rock band called The Greatful Dead. Pretty big through the last quarter of the 20th century. Couple of their most famous songs are Touch of Grey, Truckin', and West L.A. Fadeway.

Don't know how much radioplay they would recieve in der Nederlanden, but if you download music they should be easy to find.
                        I have heard of Grateful Dead. But hard rock isn't a kind of music that is played much on Dutch radio. Most of the time it is mainstream: dance, house, trance and $&%t like that. As long as the masses like it, it will be played.

So there isn't much to enjoy for people who like symphonic rock (Marillion f.e), classic rock (Pink Floyd f.e), hard rock etc.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                          I have heard of Grateful Dead. But hard rock isn't a kind of music that is played much on Dutch radio. Most of the time it is mainstream: dance, house, trance and $&%t like that. As long as the masses like it, it will be played.

So there isn't much to enjoy for people who like symphonic rock (Marillion f.e), classic rock (Pink Floyd f.e), hard rock etc.
                          The Dead is more classic rock (Floyd) than hard rock. But I know what your saying having visited the Netherlands and staying with long distance family nearly six years ago. There is NOTHING (especially for an American) on the airwaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                            The Dead is more classic rock (Floyd) than hard rock. But I know what your saying having visited the Netherlands and staying with long distance family nearly six years ago. There is NOTHING (especially for an American) on the airwaves.
                            I must say that I didn't really enjoy the radio last year when I was in the US. East of Las Vegas to Zion and Bryce Canyon it was most of the time country and western music. Not really of my liking.

But you are right about the Dutch radio. Unless you like the mainstream thing, it is a bunch of crap. The main trend right now (since a couple of years) is to upgrade the speed of an old record and then you have a new dance record. In this way they are abusing classic songs of Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. It should be forbidden.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X